It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahhh...The Good Ole Days When Clinton Was President

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
When Clinton was President I....

1. Could afford gasoline...it was about $1.00 per gallon then.
2. Had a great job with a promising future.
3. Could work overtime whenever I wanted.
4. Made enough money to go to school.
5. Had a 401K that made money daily for my retirement.
6. I paid less for health insurance.
7. I had a savings account and little debt.

Since Bush has become president...

1. I can hardly afford gasoline...as it is 3 times the cost as before.
2. Lost my great job due to a buyout because it could not survive in the new economy.
3. Now have no opportunity for overtime at my new job. This is my third job after the one I lost since Bush took office.
4. I can only go to school when I have enough money.
5. I had to cash in my 401K because it had lost more than I had put into it.
6. I pay an enormous amount for health insurance and I don't even have a family.
7. My savings account has $5.00 in it and I have debt coming out my ears.

I am 26 years old and I was better off financially when I was 21. I thought you were supposed to make more money as you got older. Instead I have received a sharp stick in the eye from the Republican policies put forth by the Bush agenda.

Thanks Bush for destroying my financial well-being.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
...and you actually think your laundry list was caused by Bush?

Today, I can still afford gas, and the rise is not because of the sitting president.

I have a great job, the future is bright.

My overtime is regulated by work load, not the president.

My 401(k) still makes money. I don't simply ignore it like many do.

Insurance is going up, and was going up with Clinton in office. The cost of insurance is also not effected by the sitting president.

Your debt is due to the sitting president? Does that mean that I could've blamed Clinto for the debt I had back then?

You will have worse than a sharp stick poked in your eye in the future due to some very sinister things done under the Clinton administration, but as it doesn't directly effect your financial position at this time, you are unconcerned. Much of the national financial woes began as the damage of the Clinton administration started to come home to roost. More damage was done when we were attacked, and even more damage has been done with the Congress and the Oval office being controlled by the Republican party, no doubt, but most of your laundry list is controlled by you, and you are attempting to project blame away from yourself. Trust me, I'm not throwing any rocks since I should be doing MUCH better than what I am, but I also understand that I have made the decisions that have led me where I am, not Clinton and not Bush.

Why are you throwing little pebbles at Bush that do not belong to him when you could throw boulders if you earnestly studied whe last 8 years of stupidity. I highly suggest you re-examine the Clinton legacy and see what we have to look forward to because of those days.

Look at both administrations and a few others, you'll see that no matter who is in pwer, we are without power, and that both of the two parties are working for the same people; and we ain't them!

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GTWill

For the benfit of someone who isnt a American please explain what a 401K is.
#I love one liners.#

[edit on 22-9-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I have only one response...Pathetic.

Anyone who relies on government, federal or local, for their well-being is pathetic.

Am I better off now than 5 years ago? Yes. Is it because of Bush? No.

Tax cuts helped alot, but I do not credit government because I am doing better. Anyone who is doing worse now did not properly plan their future.

BTW, my 401K is doing great!

Clinton left a legacy of doing nothing for 8 years, and we are paying for it now.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

For the benfit of someone who isnt a American please explain what a 401K is.
#I love one liners.#

The 401(k) plan is a type of employer-sponsored retirement plan named after a section of the 1978 Internal Revenue Code. It allows you to save specifically for your retirement via any number of low to medium risk investments while deferring any immediate income taxes on the money you save or their respective earnings until withdrawn.

For a while, it was the coolest thing post sliced bread. Even the smallest entrepreneurial venture could offer it and would typically match funds dollar for dollar from 1-5%. It was crazy free money considering 22 year olds walking out of college were qualified within six months to start tucking away effectively 15-18% of their outrageous 90's boom incomes.

Demand made them more and more interactive with some people checking their accounts daily and moving funds for better returns virtually daily. Then you could borrow from yourself for bigger houses and more education. Then the 90's were over. You got sick, had no job and no insurance. Had to bust your 401(k) to eat and pay medical bill but the rules were all tweaked out and you had to pay all those taxes at a super punitive rate rather than not only the promised deferred rate, but higher than you would have if you'd just taken your salary 10 years earlier.

But along the way many stock brokers and middle men got very rich. But you still have all the statements saying "millionaire by 40" to keep you warm at night, and they burn rather well in the makeshift trash can you use as a fireplace at the dump you live in.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Clinton left a legacy of doing nothing for 8 years,
and we are paying for it now.

Well, he did do one thing ... he raped the military and left it for dead.
He made so many cut backs that it was left in a weakened condition.
All that money he 'saved' was what made it look like he was doing
a good job balancing the budget, when in fact he was only ignoring
what really needed funds.

And yes, we are paying for it now. When W took office we were
almost out of cruise missiles. Clinton used 'em up but didn't bother
to restock. Every time he and Monica 'got together' he'd lob a
cruise missile at an aspirin or milk factory in the middle east.

Amazing.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Well, he did do one thing ... he raped the military and left it for dead.

Yes, amazing how he did that all by himself with a Republican majority Congress cheering all the way. Come on. It was a ten year bi-partisan trend of barely 5% annual cuts just being continued since mid Reagan's term when defense contractors got caught with their hands in a bloated cookie jar.

Regan made cuts (after his drunken sailor binge). Bush 41 made cuts. And as the public demanded more with the fall of the Soviet Union, Clinton did too.

It would have been stupid to keep paying for $800 toilet seats just to scare commies. Really, don't revise history too much on this one. I think the worst thing I've seen politically in my lifetime is DICK CHENEY berating John Kerry for making defense cuts he even voted for HIMSELF. The second worse is "conservatives" mad we're not spending enough.

I'm sure had Clinton known he'd be replaced with such an incompetent that would be planning unnecessary military assaults instead of reading memos about forthcoming domestic attacks, he'd have beefed up forces for Bush's unilateral aggression making a much more bloated "Rumsfled" style army. But who knew America was stupid enough to elect Bush? [Correction: I almost forget, they didn't. An activist SCOTUS did.]

America overwhelmingly loved Clinton, even as his detractors wasted a fortune trying to smear him. The 90's were incredible. On every front. The 20 year step backwards since? Not so much.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

When Clinton was President I....

1. Could afford gasoline...it was about $1.00 per gallon then.
2. Had a great job with a promising future.
3. Could work overtime whenever I wanted.
4. Made enough money to go to school.
6. I paid less for health insurance.
7. I had a savings account and little debt.

You got my vote, my friend, that is the best summarized reality for millions of hard working Americans in this country.

You forgot to add all the ones that has lost their jobs to cuts by companies.

Yes we have a very bright future with Mr. Bush in power.

We have revitalized the military at the expenses of the American people to be wasted in the crusades against an ideology war by our present president.

No even his father wanted to touch that subject when he was President and capable of doing it and getting better results.

He sure was a smart president I wonder what happen to junior.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
if Clinton was in power and 9/11 happened. wat would be the good old days? the good old days where u think the U.S. was innocent back then? wen the airlines were not bankrupt, gasoline prices low, etc?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
One thing I remember hearing about back in high school US History, and I hope someone can either confirm or refute this, is that barring some kind of major, world changing event, the economic climate is set not by the current president, but by the president 4, 8, 12 years before hand. My understanding is that it takes either a long time or a major change for decisions made by the administration to really seep through the economy.

That notwithstanding, should we really blame the president--whomever it may be--for the economic status of the nation? I mean, I can't think of a single time I've heard someone say "I lost my job because of Senator so-and-so" or "my life savings got wiped out because of such-and-such session of Congress." Was I misled throughout high school and college poli sci, learning that everything the president does has to go through congress, and vice-versa?

As far as the eternal Clinton vs. Bush debate, I go for Clinton for a single reason: if not for Clinton, I highly doubt Jay Leno would've gotten a good enough start as the host of the Tonight Show, and in my opinion that's a far greater accomplishment than attempting to make the world safe from terrorism

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Clinton wasn't so hot. Waco, Ruby Ridge, the OKC bombing, and the first World Trade center attack took place under his authority, and he got himself wrapped up in a media frenzy that prevented any real work from getting done for months. His international policies were limp-wristed and ineffectual, and he didn't do anything for our economy that the advent of the Internet didn't eclipse hundredfold.

Now, he wasn't a terrible president, either. He didn't cause any major f-ups like the response to Katrina or this diffuse and badly thought-out war on terror...

I think the problem a lot of us have is something akin to selective memory. It's easy to blame Bush or Clinton for all of the world's problems, but the fact of the matter is that the President, whomever they may be, has very little direct responsiblity for the state of affairs in the USA. They are only one of the thousands of people in the Federal government that are causing problems for our nation, and blaming it all on them is just silly.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
During the Clinton years the cold war was over. Sure we had skirmishes such as Somalia, Kosovo, etc... We sent our military in to help people unlike Bush and his idealogical war against Iraq.

Our economy is greatly based on optomism and pessimism. During the Clinton years people were excited about our wonderful economy. People had jobs. Since Bush has taken office the once thriving industrial parks(I am near Detroit and everything is automotive out here, but I don't work in that industry) are now ghost towns. You can not get a job in the automotive industry and people are still worried about losing their jobs. People are beginning to move from the affluent areas because they can not afford it anymore. Most can't sell their homes.

People today do not feel good about the economy and their future. I am hard-working with a lot of education. I wish I still had access to the graph of my 401K. I could look at the monthly trend over the entire period in which I had it. I lost 80% of it. It started the downward trend 2 months after Bush was inaugerated. The money I was putting in every month were not making up for the losses. I juggled everything trying to salvage it until I had to pull out.

What a wonderful tax-cut we got from Bush. Whahoo I got $300 just to have it deducted from my normal tax return. My parents owed that year and had to pay the $600 back on top of it all.

I know bad things happened during the Clinton era. More than just a white stain on a blue dress. Can you name a president that didn't have a something go wrong? Bush's problems were mainly his doing.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The economy was on its way down even before Bush was elected, though; this wasn't Clinton's fault, either, it was a natural progression after the speculation-induced prosperity of the 1990s. I agree that Bush hasn't done all that he ought to have to address our flagging national economy, but I don't think he's singlehandedly responsible for its present state.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
It would have been stupid to keep paying for $800
toilet seats just to scare commies.

Sure. But it is just as stupid NOT to pay the $$$ to
replace the cruise missiles that you are using up.

America overwhelmingly loved Clinton,

Americans will love anyone who puts money in their
pockets, even if that pocket money comes at the expense
of their national security. Then they whine when that
national security is compromised.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Rant thanks for the explaining what a 401K is.
As for health insurance going up it shouldnt surpise anyone the insurance companys know that you either pay or go without.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
There have been methods to control the costs of health care and prescription drug coverage brought forth just to be made illegal by the Bush administration.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
let's not forget the agregous violations of the constitution and what happened at waco...

no accountability, propagandizing in the media, intimidating, strong arming, and violating constitutional rights, killing innocent children and babies, running over graves with tank (of which weren't needed), not letting the fire department in to pull the people out and put out the flames, and then bulldozing the place to rid themselves of evidence...

yeah, that was a great government administration, they were really knowledgeable and respected your constitutional rights...
not to mention janet reno driving home absolutely hammered with a 16 yr girl drunk and passed out in her passenger seat... ok so she was a lesbian, but was she a pedophile too?

what about their own interpretation of the constitution of trying to reframe civil liberties and gun laws???

do you not care about these agregeous violations, does this country not give you the right to be nutty if you want to be, is it not wrong to go around strong arming citizen's in order to legislate what kind of morality you want??? Isn't that what makes this country 'great'???

your laundry list seems absolutely petty and selfish... and thats appalling.

people died on his watch that didnt have to, people were murdered, babies were gassed..let's not forget that asprin factory they bombed to take the focus of the lewinsky drama...

what about osama almost being caught?? wasn't billy too busy watching the game to pick up the phone to give the ok to get him??

You are certainly petty Mr.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
...oh my...this does worry me a lot.

President Bush is only that, a President. Stop blaming everything on him. The American Government [United States] is a 'Checks and Balances' system. Sorry to let you know about that...but he is not a dictator like many of you wish to believe [although I do not like his views, he is not to blame for everything.]

Many of the points you make depend upon the persion you are and have nothing to do with Bush.

Oil was going to go up...we have known that since the 1970's. [Well actually since World War Two.] So how is it Bush's fault? Did he put all the oil in the ground?

I could go on all night, but I'd rather go sleep.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
America overwhelmingly loved Clinton, even as his detractors wasted a fortune trying to smear him. The 90's were incredible. On every front. The 20 year step backwards since? Not so much.

Yes, the 90's were incredible.
We should all thank Reagan for them.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Reagan? The man whose Reaganomics nearly destroyed the countries economy? The man whose rise to power was funded by NeoConservatives and powered by the Bush Family to help start the dynasty? What the hell did he do for this country? He ruined this country and Russia, damn that's pretty good! He ruined 2 countries, of course Bush has ruined 3 so not that big a deal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join