It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis: The Startling Case for the Island of Cyprus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
AboveTopSecret.com presents a special event sponsored forum for exclusive interaction with material and people involved in an upcoming television special on Atlantis and the case for Cyprus as the lost continent. We begin this exclusive special event with pre-existing content to inspire discussion. However, as we get closer to the broadcast date, there will be exclusive-to-ATS content as well as involvement by key members of the team. Stay tuned for updates.

What if one of humankind’s greatest mysteries could be solved by a single geographical and archeological discovery—the discovery of the actual location of the legendary Atlantis?

What if for the first time in history, the possibility of the existence of the famed island could come alive in 3D maps and models showing a stretch of sunken land one mile below the waters of the Eastern Mediterranean sea? And what if this location and related data correlated with a near-perfect match with Plato’s detailed descriptions?

"Discovery of Atlantis: The Startling Case for the Island of Cyprus" is a thoroughly original theory and provides a body of evidence depicting the location of Atlantis—as well as fascinating links to the biblical Garden of Eden, world mythology, and Western history. This book will be the first in a series of books and documentaries that we believe will cause a revolution in our understanding of the origins of human civilization. For if Plato’s account of Atlantis is to be believed, author Robert Sarmast has discovered astounding evidence of the sunken isle of Atlantis (or some might call it Eden), a lost land mass that many believe to be the prehistoric cultural source of civilization.

Here again is the keynote of this book: At a location on the ocean floor in the Levantine region of the Eastern Mediterranean, near the island of Cyprus, Sarmast has discovered a site that, simply stated, matches Plato’s famed account of Atlantis. Evidence presented in Discovery of Atlantis almost perfectly matches the nearly 50 clues in Plato's descriptions.

We invite you to examine the book description, animation files, 3D models, and media reviews on the main project website.

Edit: Fixed link.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

xu

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I always thought the upper curve of the island cyprus is strangely matching with the curve of the landmass above it. it looks a lot like the cyprus has detached from there in its past, this is just a visual assumption of course.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I don't know if simple comments are appreciated, but I would just say I believe this is one of the more interesting of the sections, as I've always been very interested about Atlantis, but don't really know much about it. Anyways, great idea for a thread, can't wait for it to really open.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Veeerrry Interesting stuff, I really liked that flood model which would I guess be The Great Flood as depicted in many mythologies. It would certainly make sense and I cannot wait for more. I like the way this forum is going btw

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Pretty CGI and imagination aside, I'm looking forward to seeing some partisan journalist expeditions taking place on the site, undertaken by non-biased, critical media sources (ie. neither for, nor against the atlantis theory).
That's not to say that I don't believe that there could have been an ancient civilisation on an island off of the coast of greece and that plato knew about it (hell, he's illuminati bloodline if ever there were any!)...

JWB

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't think Atlantis was justText an island, it was an entire culture that exists already in Egypt, South America, an Asia. We just need the "smoking gun" to tie them all together. I personally believe the Egyptian gov. has proof of this, and is hiding it. It's they're whole identity after all, "builders of the pyramids". I'm not saying this island wasn't a part of that culture, but I think we're over simplifying this a tad.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This theory is not without controversy ...

here
The remains of the lost city of Atlantis, which a United States researcher claims to have found off the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, are in fact submarine volcanoes, according to a German physicist.

US researcher Robert Sarmast claimed on Sunday to have found proof that the mythical lost city of Atlantis actually existed and is located under the Mediterranean seabed between Cyprus and Syria.

But German physicist Christian Huebscher said he had identified the phenomenon as 100,000 year-old volcanoes that spewed mud.

Huebscher, of the Hamburg Centre for Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, is quoted in tomorrow's edition of the newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung as saying he and two Dutch colleagues had sailed in a boat to the same area at which Sarmast claimed to have located Atlantis and made their findings.

[edit on 7-10-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I thought this was the most accepted location of "Atlantis"

Now its not large enough according to conventional translation, but according to some review by experts the translation "bigger than" was incorrect and it should say "in between" Asia minor and Libya.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It would explain why Britain, Turkey and Greece, three ancient countries, would fight over such a relatively small island. Especially considering that the squabbling occured post WW2 and in a rather modern era.

Also Cyprus derives its name from the classical Latin name for Copper "Cyprium" due to Cyprus's large deposits of Copper. Atlantis was said to be rich in this metal, amongst many others.

Strikingly though, to me, is that Greek mythology ties Cyprus to the birth place of Aphrodite. Her birth legend says she sprang from the sea near Cyprus due to Kronos casting his fathers (Uranus - god of the Sky) genitals into the sea. To me this sounds like a tie in between the sky and the sea (possible violent interpretation of sky/sea: a flood?)

Fascinating

[edit on 11/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Now its not large enough according to conventional translation, but according to some review by experts the translation "bigger than" was incorrect and it should say "in between" Asia minor and Libya.

The other problem is that the text clearly places it beyond the Straits of Gibraltar, so attempts to stick it in the Med fail initially on this point. Not to mention, any such civilization in the area would have been intensely documented by the neighbors.

No, Atlantis (supposing it did indeed exist) was more likely a further, and more exotic/mysterious land, that they traded with, without knowing much about.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well I have a strange argument against Cyprus being near the capital of Atlantis, I first heard the rumour of Atlantis being off Cyprus in the second week of march 2004, my friend Sarah arranged care for her kids for a week and we decided to go investigate the lead...we tried to book tickets to Cyprus but as it turns out my passport ran out on april fools day and you need 3 clear months to enter Cyprus... so I knew the universe was having a laugh with me...

we decided we would drive to the nearest airport and buy a ticket to 'somewhere' ...we got to the airport...they didnt sell tickets...so we decided we would drive to Heathrow surely they sold tickets to 'somewhere'...we got to Heathrow...the ticket offices were closed, so we went to stay at one of Sarah's cousins in london for the night, the following morning we went to another of Sarah's cousins house to use the internet to buy a ticket to somewhere...we trawled the internet for hours with no joy, every time we phoned the deal had gone...frustrated I retreated to the bathroom to think... it didn't make sense, the universe never jerks me around without a reason, I just had to figure it out... so I looked at all my blocked avenues..firstly Cyprus, if the universe had blocked it I decided it must be a sign Atlantis lay else where...
Then I decided my only option was 'magic', I prefer not to use 'magic' but I was frustrated and had had enuff, I didn't have any books with me so I decided on a simple little charm [the word Atlantis in it can be substituted with anything your heart desires and is very useful]..it went like this....
"Bring Atlantis to me, I want it cheap or I want it free"...
when I went back downstairs sarah had found a cheap deal in Tenerife, not my first choice I thought it was a tacky tourist trap, but the charm cast I would follow whatever happened, sarah went to pay for it and we found thier wasnt enuff on my card for both and sarah had left hers behind, she asked her cousins husband if she could use his and we would give him the cash...he handed over the gold card...then refused to take the money... I was impressed by the charms affectiveness to far,
when we arrived in tenerife we were allocated to the Atlantida Hotel, thats spanish for Atlantis, so I got the Atlantis hotel free.....
Our appartment was next to the 'Lost Temple bar', so we decided that was our next clue, next day we went out on a boat to have a 'word' with some whales, a pilot whale surfaced a few feet from me after I'd summoned him with a reiki bubble, he informed me there was plenty of evidence on land for the secrets he guarded below... we got back to land and hired a car...we found the lost pyramids of guimar complete with temple complex and the energy spoke Atlantis...the Guanche that built the pyramids claimed to be the last of the Alanteans, they were a race of tall blue eyed blondes (off the coast of africa?] who mummified thier dead in the same way as the Egyptians, in fact thier were more mummies on tenerife than in Egypt, there was also evidence they had a trade route with the easter islands, they worshiped an ancient mother goddess called Chaxi Raxi, who the spanish catholics turned into the black madonna after they massacred the guanche and mount teide is a big enuff volcano to have wiped Atlantis off the face of the earth... anyway so as unscientific as my story is I say forget Cyprus, Atlanti(c)s was off the coast of Africa in a place we now call Tenerife...

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Atlantis Behold

www.geocities.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm not convinced.

South America is the Gold, not Cyprus.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I posted the news article on ATSNN about Samarst and the expedition. At the time I had no views on whether he had in fact found Atlantis. I still don't. I don't think we have enough in our possession yet to say for sure. I think the only way is to unearth proof of course that an advanced civilisation once lived there.

But the fact remains, Samarst has been researching for many years and he thinks he is onto something, I doubt he would follow too many wild goose chases by now.

Even if it is a 100000 year old volcano, that does not take away the possibility that it is Atlantis, it actually enhances the idea. Volcanoes are the one landform in our world that is not constant and can change landscapes in an instant. 100000 years ago a volcano could have formed this rich fertile volcnic land and a few thousand years ago that same volcano rumbling again could sink it.

or split it off from the mainland and sink it with a huge earthquake, one was recorded around that time if I remember correctly.

and if Vulcan spewed mud instead of his usual fire, then its possible the mud covered atlantis and obliterated it's existence in an instant. Now you see it, now you don't..

www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 1-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I read the book and thought it was really good and quite a plausible theory until the last couple of chapters when he equated the Garden of Eden with Cyprus as well as Cyprus being Atlantis. I felt that this theory was not appropriate in the same book. One wild theory per book please!
If he had left that to a second book based on the evidence in the first, I could have bought the theory. I am just researching some of the Atlantis theories myself and feel that he has some valid points but again, other than the sea floor discoveries he has no archeological evidence. That evidence is difficult to get because underwater archeology studies are so expensive. I would like to see more evidence gathered for the Atlantis theory, I feel it needs more development from other sciences besides the sea floor analysis and mythological analysis. Hope he continues to develop his theory.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I was at a presentation this summer at Villanova University where several scientists introduced the captain of the research vessel that did the mapping. The captain and several with scinetific credentials brough everyone up to date with the details and photos of what they found, and described what was to be done on the next expedition to the area.

What has them excited is that the description found in the Urantia Book matches the dimensions found on the top of the submerged mountain for a temple and a flattened area around it.

They also found what appears to be a wall for the most part around the described temple area that coincides with a wall described in the book.

The Urantia Book reveals what the use of this land area was before it submerged 34,000 years ago in an earthquake that also destroyed the Sicillian land bridge to Africa. According to the book, the remainder of the Atlanteans took a year to travel to the land area between the Tigris and Euphrates in what is Iraq today.

It seems the legend Plato repeated was from the traditions of the surrounding peoples concerning the extraordinary individuals that came to the pennisula of land which remains have become Cyprus. They were very tall and lived extremely long. These indeed were the biologic uplfiters which build enclaves in the early history of man to buld up their race and then send them out to intermarry with the surrounding tribes in the area.

They did bring with them new techniques of metal working, brick making, and the many arts of civilization. They were driven from the Cyprus penninsula by an invasion of the surrounding Nodites after having failed to produce the results of their mandate after the first 100 years in the enclave, called the first garden. The second garden was established in present day Iraq, and these were the citizens of what Plato calls Atlantis.

Their history may be read in great detail in the Urantia Book starting on pages 821 through 854. The book may be read on line atCLICK HERE starting with Paper 73.

Believe it or not, the text confirms the description of Atlantis and the mapping finds certain man-made features that Plato and the book both give. Fact is stranger than fiction many, many times.

Ron Besser

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
how do you associate the fictional garden of Eden from the bible being the lost city of Atlantis?????? Are you saying Adam and Eve were Atlanteans??

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Dear sugeshotcha

Aussie Prodigy
Exposing The Illuminati

Dear sugeshotcha,

It appears, as unlikely as it may seem, to be the actual case. I did not make it up.

The Biblical traditons are what came out of the events of 37,000 years ago, long before there was Bible.

And so if it turns out to be exactly as has been outlined in my post above, so what? These stories that we take for myth have myth in them, but frequently they are based on actual historical events. Thye get distorted for nationalistic, tribal, ceremonial, and religious reasons, and eventually they become part of the folklore. At our present stage of development, we no longer can tell where some of the stories came from and what to believe.

As I am sure you know very well, the classical Atlantis story, is the one told by the Ancient Greek philosopher Plato in two of his dialogues, Kritias and Timaeus. It refers to a Paradise on earth, and portrayed as a sort of lost golden age. The eastern Mediterranean basin 37 millennia ago was the cross roads of the migration of different human groups and so the placement of a high civilization right in the middle of these routes is understandable.

Adam and Eve are iconic names. Biological uplifters, which is the work of these material sons, are always called Adam and Eve, while their progency have less traditonal names, although the first two male heirs born are traditonally called Adamson and Eveson. Many surnames in our culture use these names even today.

Plato describes a story, mystical and perhaps to his listeners, mythical. As I understand it, the term "Atlantis" comes from the Greek work "Atlas" which in the Latin language is translated as "Atlant". It would be misleading to characterize the location of Paradise on earth to be in the Atlantic, since all the name in Greek means is the place of the gods.

To the Greeks, the known world was the sea to the west and the lands that bordered the inland sea. It is within these confines of the known world where the legend grew up from a vaguely remembered history of men and women who were like gods who lived nearby. The garden was inhabited by the original pair of uplifters, and they had nothing to do with the later stories of good and evil which are morality lessons characterisitc of the later appearing western religions. Their bodies were infused with the ingredients of the tree of life, a fruit who's chemistry kept the circulatory system encircuited with certain universe energies. The origin of halos comes from this era since they emitted a faint glow around their heads because of their unusual energy cicrulatory system.

Science is supposed to be a myth buster and it is a sign that man has moved on from personalizing nature to understanding the mechanisms of nature. However, science also has to learn that there is more to the world than its materialism and the fantasies of pre-history to debunk, for the legends of old are, as in this case, the remaining evidence of a true biological (scientific) experiment to raise the morality and thinking capacities of pre-historical man.

It will take some time before the world is aware of its extraordinary history, some of it so unique that we are reknown in the local universe for what has happened on this otherwise insignificant sphere on the edge of the populated universe.

We need to remove our philosphical biases before we can see clearly. Learning is a slow process, but a process nonetheless. We mar our potential for success to understand by laughing at reality, something science itself says it wants to understand. Soon enough, this information about Atlantis and who the original inhabitants were, will be common knowledge. Until then, it requires patience and an obedience to the process of finding truth, regardless of how imporbable it may seem at first.

Ron Besser

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
i'm more convinced that the island of thera(currently known as santorini) was what we refer to as atlantis

people often think that the pillars of heracles are the strait of gibraltar, but if you look at this current day map of santorini(an island that was decimated by a volcanic blast at approximately 1628 BC) you can see that it may very well be this place plato had described, considering that a large volcanic blast could have very well buried a large portion of its land mass under the ocean

maybe this volcanic blast was greater than scientists have calculated...and all of the small islands in the mediterranean/aegean seas were at one point connected, giving the area an entirely different geographic description

there are ancient ruins on this island, but they are only dated to about the 4th century BC

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
could it also be the good ol US of A? it surely has a great plain and was covered by water(ice) about 10,000 years ago

top topics

<<   2 >>

join