It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita to become catagory 4 hurricane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hey guys,
im at my college right now and on one of the TV's in the student center the news just reported that Rita will become a catagory 4 hurricane by 6:00pm tomorrow. ive been looking on the internet but i cant find an article about it posted yet. as we all know hurricane katrina was a catagory 4 once it hit the gulf coast. as soon as i find the article on the web that verifies the breaking story i just heard i will post it.

Sorry i cant find an article to back this up. the only ones i can find that are out now are ones saying that it is expected to intesify not a validation of the actual catagory they said it will become.

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It was listed as the "breaking news" bar on cnn.com, but they've taken that down now. As of right now, MSNBC is stating a Cat. 3 prediction.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is true, the NHC is showing 115 Knots in its predictions now (133 MPH)...I already posted it in the Rita thread.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

[edit on 9/20/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
thanks guys,

i just went into the lounge again and the news is STILL saying that is going to be a cat. 4. and i flipped back and forth between fox and msnbc and they are both saying 4. but i looked on the site like you said and on there is says 3 OR major hurricane status. so i dont know what is going on lol.

i'll keep watching and looking to see if i can find anything else on the cat 4 thing.

Thanks again guys,
Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It's right here in the link I gave above, straight from The National Hurricane Center:

FORECAST VALID 21/1800Z 24.2N 87.0W
MAX WIND 115 KT...GUSTS 140 KT.
64 KT... 30NE 30SE 30SW 30NW.
50 KT... 75NE 40SE 40SW 75NW.
34 KT...140NE 90SE 90SW 140NW.

115 KT is a category 4, it's supposed become one tomorrow at 18:00 GMT.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
EDIT: THANKS DJ. just saw your post after i made this one. thank you for verifying it. ill just leave this up though just in case people want to see more.

OK here is the report online

"This is a dangerous storm," said FEMA (search) acting director R. David Paulison, who warned that Rita could wind up being a Category 3 or 4 hurricane when all is said and done. "We don't know exactly where it's going to land. [Local residents] need to take it very seriously. Have your evacuation plan in place. Know where you're going to go and make sure you have your food and water supply for three days."

see it here: Hurricane rita most likely to become a catagory 4. at the least it will be a catagory 3

so now i finally found something that is correlating with what i am seeing on TV. even so if it just a 3 which they are making it sound on tv that it will be a 4 that is bad within itself...and think hurricane season is not even over yet

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Rita will become another major damaging hurricane the conditions are perfect for its development.

I hope that the areas already been warn for its land fall will be ready and better prepare than NO, MI and Louisiana were.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
agreed marge, it is really sad.

here is a copy from the national weather service that shows the path and percentage of probability that it will hit NO as of right now just in case anyone is wondering.

you can click on the various pictures to see all the tracking info on there hurricane.

tracking RITA

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thanks, digitalgrl.

Right now NO is under the realization that even a minimum flooding can damage the repairs and patches done to the levees.

It most be very frustrating to have this happening all over again.

I wonder what happen to Phillipe, he was before Rita but more to the south.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
here marge,

i looked that hurricane up and found an article for you.

here is a snippet: Hurricane Phillipe By depilot
According to this model looks as if we will have a well established Hurricane in 120 hours east of the southern Bahamas, looking like 980 MB or lower. Alot of high pressure to the north will keep this one on a west north west track and possibly into south east Florida in about 7 to 8 days.

it also has a picture that tracks it i think. sounds like another not so wonderful situation for florida.

here is the link
hurricane phillipe

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, so that will be the next hurracane to form.

I guess the weather channel concentrate more on the hurracane at hand that is Rita, and will take care of than one later on.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Here's the latest probability data from the NOAA (as of 23:00 EDT, though the image will automatically update):

The left-most column represents hours from the time of measurement, i.e., 24 would be 11:00 PM (EDT) Wednesday night.

As per this table, Rita has a 50% probability of becoming a Cat 4-5 hurricane by Wednesday evening.

However, while the highest probability for any single outcome is that of Rita becoming a Cat 4-5 hurricane within 24 hours, there is also a 50% chance that Rita will not. And while there is a 30% that Rita will (become and) remain a Cat 4-5 over the next 72 hours -- again, the largest single probabilty -- there is a 70% probability that Rita will be a Cat 3 or less.

It is important to note that the NOAA and NHC will update this chart every few hours. We could very well awake tomorrow to find more ">98%" entries in the table, or at the very least, significantly higher probabilities associated with the Cat 4-5 scenario. And my gut feeling is that's exactly what is going to happen.

Here's the link to the NOAA/NHC graphics page for updated data.

Here's the latest NOAA sea surface temperature readings (only good through yesterday):

Figure a mean temperature of 30 degrees Celsius (86 F)... at least until the NOAA updates it's data (can be found here).

[edit on 21-9-2005 by sdrumrunner]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I don't know why people are surprised, I told you three hours ago it was going to be a 4 or 5, We just seen this happen 3 weeks ago.

new topics

top topics

join