It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church of England To Apologize for War in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The Church Of England, the nucleus of the global Anglican communion, is considering apologising to Muslim leaders for the Iraq war, an event described by its heads as failing to meet the criteria of a "just war".

news.bbc.co.uk
Church of England bishops have suggested Christian leaders apologize to Muslim leaders for the war in Iraq.

A report from a working group of bishops says the war was one of a "long litany of errors" relating to Iraq.

As the government is unlikely to offer an apology, a meeting of religious leaders would provide a "public act of institutional repentance", it said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To me, this was totally unexpected. I can understand why they would want to do it, but I don't see why they would have to. If I'm not mistaken, the Church of England was against it to begin with.

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.cwnews.com

[edit on 26-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Just because the C of E was against it from the beginning doesn't mean that they can't apologize for the war on the behalf of the nation. Given that the C of E is one of the major religions in the UK, they do represent a large part of the population (as well as many members of the government as well). It's not uncommon for well-meaning people to apologize for something on the behalf of others. After all, on a far simpler basis, how often has this conversation occured:

"My [insert relative] died." "Oh, I'm sorry."

The person apologizing had nothing to do with it, yet still apologizes. Same thing. Greater scale.

Hopefully it'll ease some tensions. It's not likely, but possible. I'll hope for the best.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
[quopte] but I don't see why they would have to.
How many times have we seen people demand that muslims condem and apologize for the 911 attacks or the actions of islamist extremists? THis is an intersting 'shoe on the other foot' situation.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
People should also look at who the head of the CoE is and the role and powers they have in Government as well as the ministers etc.

This is when it becomes clear...

top topics

join