It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$50k Bail for Possession of Food by a Senior Citizen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Take a look at this story . This nice old church lady got handcuffed and tossed in jail for supposedly looting. The alledged crime amounts to just 60 dollars, and the owner of the store has told the police she wasn't involved, but regardless she's in a state prison on 50k bail, set way above the maximum allowed by the state, by a judge over a telephone.

The facts of the case don't add up at all, this woman had a trunk full of food and a motel room to stay in. She paid for it all by credit card.

How many other cases just like this one are going on? How many others have been victimized by a justice system that doesn't give a damn about people anymore?

The cops should be disciplined, the judge should be disrobed in a public place and paddled all the way out of town, and the poor woman should be given restitution for lost time and the injustice of the whole affair.

It's stories just like this that drive a wedge between law enforcement and the communities they're supposed to work in. They're only making it harder on themselves, and that applies to everyone involved, hoodlums and officers. But damnit, the taxpayers don't pay the hoodlums to do what they do! The cops are first and foremost accountable to the constituents. This is a disgrace.

So if a cop in Louisiana isn't knocking an old lady to the ground one day, he's arresting one on bogus charges the next.

Grrr....

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
May want to add, that all the witnesses say the woman is innocent.
The deli itself does not want to prosecute.
The $50,000 bail that the judge had set (via phone) exceeds the maximum set for this type of crime a hundredfold.
The maximum bail for this crime is $500 by La law

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
this is amazing...

and crazy...

maybe we should all put some loose change together and free her

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This is just one of many examples of why we are all screwed in the United States.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Looks like there are a few who are against this:
Jailed Deaconess, 73, Ordered Released
Note,
the reason that this story says that the release has been ordered..... due to the AP news article itself.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The charges still were not dropped. She still has to face trial. They were just trying to quiet a national outrage. The outrage should not stop until all charges are cleared and she receives restitution for her loss, her imprisonment, and her suffering.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Kenshiro
Thanks for that link.

And as far as adding the info from your first post, it's all in my initial one.

The alledged crime amounts to just 60 dollars, and the owner of the store has told the police she wasn't involved, but regardless she's in a state prison on 50k bail, set way above the maximum allowed by the state, by a judge over a telephone.

It's all there man.

It's good to see that she's been targetted for release.

What can be done to prevent this from happening again? Better cops. Better judges.

People shouldn't be subject to the whims of sickos with too much power. These sorts of people need to be prevented from entering public service. Let them be plumbers, maliciously whacking and twisting at pipes. Letting them screw with peoples lives is unconscienable.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If this does get to trial
I feel really sorry for the prosecuting attorney as well as the officers.
the only evidence that is cited is the cops report which does not even list the items taken nor where the woman was when arrested.
According to police sources, the woman was detained at the check out. All other witnesses (as well as the police report) state the woman was walking away from the deli. Slight difference.
So here is what the prosecuting attorney will have to go to trial with.
1) a police officer's testimony
2) the police report
(neither agree with the other)
3) no evidence

Now for the defence:
1) Accused has never been in trouble with the law
2) the woman had money on her person
3) the woman's testimony
4) witness testimony
5) the deli not pressing charges

How long before the district attorney recognizes that this is just going to be a pr nightmare and just drop all charges. Maybe even issue an apology of sorts.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
just another case of the corruption of power.
as to what they can do to prevent this from happening again..... well there is always a dream unfortunately, i do not think that such abuses of power will ever be done away with in our lifetimes.
Think about the number of times this type of story pops up per year around the country.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
More flame for the fire of racism? Would she have been arrested if she were white? I find this behavior by those sworn to protect and defend to be disgusting.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I would be curious if any white person has been arrested during the aftermath. The white people have taken food and water too!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

the judge should be disrobed in a public place and paddled all the way out of town,

ya know, i dont think that would be a good idea, because, it may be creul and unusual, depending on how "gifted" he is, some people would take it the wrong way, and it would be just plain wrong...

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think I've lost my innocence, become jaded, then something like this comes along and I realize I have NO concept, at all, of just how bad it can really get.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There have been many police abuses over the past couple years. I have witnessed a few myself. Recently though there have been many cases involving stunguns and small children. Now that is messed up.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Just yesterday I read an update on this story, and now I can't find the link. Apparently the woman in question was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.

The cops who arrested her went on record saying that they were upset that her case wasn't brought to trial. They felt it was a good arrest, with sufficient evidence to convict.

I'm ashamed FOR them, since they're quite obviously shameless.

Anyway, some good news in the case, thought some people might be interested to know what ever happened with the whole debacle. It took six months (or thereabouts), but the senior citizen in question has finally been vindicated.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I kicked a neighbors door in after the storm to get food and water for my family. we slept on his couches that night. I'm white & no, I wasn't arrested. btw, the neighbor was out of town.

what a story! I love this country!

Originally posted by GTWill
I would be curious if any white person has been arrested during the aftermath. The white people have taken food and water too!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
omgor once more....$60 food...$50k bail..store does not want to prosecute.... in my math that = BS

we should bail her @_@ imma call see where...

new topics

top topics

join