It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed of light travel

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Ok,what if we had a ship that could go the speed of light.When you turned on the headlights at the speed of light would they come on?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
i think so, but they wouldnt project very far from the craft. Every try throwing a slurpy out the window when your going 70 ??? ...same thing.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
For like the third time... It's impossible to travel with the speed of light... At least for makind...

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
For like the third time... It's impossible to travel with the speed of light... At least for makind...

Nothing is impossible, only improbable

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
There has been concept of faster-than-light-travel described by the late, great Douglas Adams.

He wrote that nothing travels faster than light with the exception of bad news..although the alien race who built their ship based on this concept found they weren't welcome anywhere they went in the universe

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
if this is going to happen, we wll need an entirely new idea of technology.
www.americanantigravity.com...
this may be the way, check out the rest of the site too, it's pretty cool

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
i think so, but they wouldnt project very far from the craft. Every try throwing a slurpy out the window when your going 70 ??? ...same thing.

ahhhh no, theres no wind in space.

your slurpy would continus traveling at what ever speed you threw it out at, plus the speed of your ship.

Tha headlight question...not sure...but theres really no point in debating it since we cant go that fast..not now, or ever.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paladin327
Faster than Light travel is impossible

Not quite true. Only that nothing can travel faster than light in a VACUUM. Cerenkov Radiation is a special thing that happens when the radioactive particles given off by decay of heavy atoms exceed the speed of light in a medium. Usually this is where the radiation is emitted into the water surrounding some reactors. The speed of light is only around 3/4 the speed in a vacuum and a particle (usually an electron in the form of Beta Radiation) exceeds the local speed of light giving off the characteristic hollywoodesque blue glow of light.

For more technical information then wikipedia has some stuff on it, but even more technical stuff can be found by googling "Cerenkov Radiation".

But this does show that particles (a mass) can travel faster than the speed of light, just not faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Oh and in regards to the headlight question...wouldn't the photons collect up in your headlights and there be useless. But all of that is irrelevant anyway as you would not be able to see obsticles ahead of you until you were going through them (as mentioned in Red Dwarf the book believe it or not).

A more interesting question would be supposing you did travel faster than the speed of light. The universe is expanding at the speed of light and so what happens when you reach the edge? Do you create more universe at a rate faster than the speed of light or what?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Originally posted by 11undercover11
Ok,

1, I didn't said that aurora travel at the speed of light I asked a question "Does aurora suppose to to go at the speed of light?" its not the samething

no & no.

IF Aurora is the name of a spy plane, then its reported at mach 6, which is 4,567 mph, you started this thread by stating that the speed of light is 670,616,629 mph . How could you possibly think that an aircraft could do that speed.

Well I was asking!
and who knows maybe the gouvernement are devlopping such technology

But I know 670,616,629 mph its like to much I guess

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by allenperos
With enough energy generated from a nuclear reactor, this can be acheived and has been verifed by "reverse engineering" of extraterrestial vehcles confiscated from extraterestials through the past several decades and stored at "Dreamland" I have photoghraphed spacecraft in California, but will not post them as they create a chaiotic circumstance among the forum.

Can you elaborate on the above quote? I'm very interested in what you have to say about the extraterestrial vehicles...if not in this forum how about the UFO forum? You can post your pics there too...no chaos will ensue..trust me.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Heh... who's that above this!?

Anyway, as far as I know, the machine and obviously yourself will become denser as you approached the speed of light, therefore you'll slow down with the weight!
The other thing of course, is that as you near the light speed, your vision would 'cone'.

You percieve the world/space/universe through sight and your vision will become less and less at the sides as your perception sped ahead of the light, that is really time passing.

I'm doubtful that we can 'beat' light through travel as we know it.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your responses to my 1st post on travel at NEARLY the speed of light. For those who are confused about something I wrote with regard to acceleration, go back and read my post just one more time, only slowly and carefully.

I did say a "spike" an acceleration, accompanied by a deceleration, @ 1 "G". This equates to a very comfortable 9.8 m/s2. The same acceleration we have here on Earth, only we continue to accelerate at this rate, until we reach 93% of the speed of light. It is a one "G" thing, it can happen, it's happening right now. Without an in-depth, re-explanation about the mechanics or powerplant, this energy can be easily harnessed with the propulsion system used on some "big boats".

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Would someone give me a clear, simple explanation as to WHY it is impossible to reach the speed of light? I have heard a few little explanations but not the WHOLE explanation which I need to understand all the arguments here

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Would someone give me a clear, simple explanation as to WHY it is impossible to reach the speed of light? I have heard a few little explanations but not the WHOLE explanation which I need to understand all the arguments here

The nearer to light speed you get , the denser or heavier you'll become.
... Oh, and the heat friction will kill you!

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronMan
The nearer to light speed you get , the denser or heavier you'll become.
... Oh, and the heat friction will kill you!

As IronMan stated you get denser and heavier the closer to the speed of light you become, but the heavier and denser an object, more energy is required to accellerate the mass. Light can travel at the speed of light because although scientists believe that light can be a particle (a photon) it is a special type of particle that is massless and that it behaves like a wave (i.e. it has wave like properties such as diffraction etc)

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There's another thread out there about time machines and I think this
thread may be connected to it in a way.
I think that if you wish to travel near the speed of light without becoming
denser and therefore, needing more energy to propel oneself,
It may be that you will have a clone in one place and yourself at another
and the only way to travel will be through thought!

I know this sounds silly at first, but I can't see how to get round the
physical problems.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
huh? clones? are you refering to teleportation? that would be the only way to transport your conscienceness on a clone. that would be at the speed of c. oh, and to get a clone out into some far away space you would have to physically place him there(no teleportation). thts why i think teleportation isnt feasible as a means of space travel.besides, i think that 99.99etc percent of c is close enough. time dilation could theoretically reduce the shipboard time to tiny increments. an idea: if we could make a wormhole but it was not possibe to transport humans or ships or anything thru it, we could possible open up the other end of it in the middle of a star or the accretion disk of a black hole to provide energy to propel the ship forwrd. you could even open up the w.h. into the quark gluon soup that existed at the beginning of the univ. that would probly be sufficient to provide power to the whole civilization-no need worrying about producing antimatter or fusion. ..........of course there is always the small matter of getting the wormhole in the first place

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
To be honest, I hadn't thought about how to get the clones there, but I was just
musing about so-called 'grays' look so alike.
If there's any truth in such creatures, it may be that sending 'vessels' such as these little, emotionless entities to a planet and then hooking up through thought with them may be the only way.
Seems abit silly nuh?

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
As velocity approaches the speed of light, mass becomes infinite, and so therefore does the amount of energy required to achieve that velocity.

i.e. you can't do it.

So sayeth Herr Professor Einstein.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join