It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about a 'virtual' WATS for the mods, from the members?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I was reading a thread, and a mod just had, IMHO, great points and replies. I can't recommend them for a WATS. How about a member WATS for mods? I was thinking of nothing public, just an easy to click link, in place of where members can vote for other members for WATS. It would only be seen by mods, but it's a way to support that whole "Mods have opinions too" movement. There would be a recognition for only mods to see, from the members. Of course, members can send a U2U, a virtual applause, but people have varying reasons as to why they don't want things to get too U2U.

Speaking of the 'Mods have opinions too' movement (of which I support) there are a couple of mods I'd like to exercise my 'I have an "Ignore" button too', but that's another thread.

EDIT:

Subject: ATS Member Applause!

A member of the ATS, curme, has applauded your activity on this thread titled, Insert thread title here. Thank you for contributing to the quality of our forums. Keep up the good work. Do not reply to this U2U.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by curme]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I agree that there should be a method whereby Moderators can receive praise for threads and posts of exceptional quality, as ATS members currently can through Applause or WATS'.

A few days ago, myself and John bull 1 were engaged in discussion concerning this thread, which dealt with the evolution and development of specific human communication faculties. The thread was his and his ideas were extremely well researched and extremely well stated. I immediately went to vote for the WATS in recognition of this superb thread when I realised, duh, he's a Mod (a Super Mod even which, from what I can gather, means he has all the powers of a Mod plus all the powers of Superman) and was subsequently unable to do so.

I also believe that this would assist in promoting the concept of Mods as living, breathing, thinking individuals and may serve to better demonstrate the quality of posts that we should strive to emulate here at ATS.

[edit on 26/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Positive Feedback Loop

I agree, and think this is a great idea.

Most of the feedback staff members get tends to be negative. After a while, no matter who you are, that will wear you down.

Offering a way for members to give some positive feedback (perhaps anonymously, to reduce the "kiss-up factor") seems like a nice way to remind the staff that their fellow members appreciate quality contributions from them as much as those from other members.

Sounds good to me!

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I've always thought this is a good idea and have always felt that the mods get shafted a little, in that their efforts are perhaps not able to be so publicly lauded as members are, and that they are on the receiving end of so much negative feedback and whining, but I imagine that this idea has not been instituted for some good reasons as well.

For example, moderators in their role as mediators and 'police' need to be removed from such issues where popularity can be a factor in order to maintain solidarity between them. Also there is the "suck up" factor, and the "sour grapes" factor. Some members will shower mods with applauses and WATS in order to curry favour, while other members would feel cheated, or that the "game is rigged" if a staff member won WATS. I should imagine that the mods congratulate each other in the cosmic forum for outstanding efforts. Furthermore, members can always send a congratulatory U2U to a moderator, a gesture which can be more valuable than an applause since it is more personal.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
One option currently avaiable to members is to click on the gripe/idea button thats the one with the light bulb. Then it is simply a matter of typing out a few words of thanks you dont even have to mention your username.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This would be a great feature! .."Vote your monthly fav. staff."

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Hmmnn, I don't know. Perhaps if everything were kept totally anonymous, but even then...

I think a personal U2U would be appreciated enough (I know I have done this) and aviod any potential drama that some love so much. Or as already suggested by xpert11 use of the gripe/idea button.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
A personal u2u sounds good and would be a private applasue.

Using the gripe/help button is good too, as all staff would see your compliment to said Mod.

Perhaps u2u'ing the appropriate Council person (of FSME, if applicable) with your words of praise for said Mod.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'd agree, I always enjoy simply getting such U2Us...no public acknowledgement is necessary...

I'd rather see a U2U someone took a few seconds to write, than a simple click anyday...

new topics

top topics

join