It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no such thing as Athiest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So far I haven't met one.

There is no such thing as ATHIEST

What the hell is an "atheist" anyway ?

There is no such thing. At most you can be an agnostic.

How can anyone claim that they KNOW there is NO god ?

Im so sorry but... TRUE atheists dont exist.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by mr conspiracy]

Mod Edit: CAPS in title

[edit on 7-11-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
2 entries found for atheist.
a·the·ist Audio pronunciation of "atheist" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-st)
n.

One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Atheist(noun):
unbeliever in God or deities, somebody who does not believe in God or deities.
Encarta Dictionary

I don't see anywhere in that definition where it says Atheists unequivocally know there is no God. It simpily says they don't believe there is a God and find it unreasonable.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What they are trying to say is that they do not believe that there is a God.

They are not saying that they believe that there is no God.

This makes them no different from agnostics.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   

George Santayana
"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests."

I truly believe it is not actually God that atheists are unable to muster belief in--it's likely that not many atheists or 'believers' truly understand (as much as is presently possible in the human mind) the perfect fairness and love that would be impossible not to believe in--if known.

It's not God who is rejected--it is the God that man makes up that other men cannot accept.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Glad to meet you..

Thats one..

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy

Everyone deep down believes in SANTA CLAUSE. Not to believe in Santa Clause doesn't make any sense. How can someone just KNOW there is no Santa Clause?!! I'm sorry but mythical beings and fairy tales DO exist.. and if you don't believe in them you are just lieing to yourself. No wonder the tooth fairy ripped you off and you never got that pretty red bike.

I hope I've made things clearer for you.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

So far I haven't met one.

What the hell is an "atheist" anyway ?

There is no such thing. At most you can be an agnostic.

How can anyone claim that they KNOW there is NO god ?

Im so sorry but... TRUE atheists dont exist.

This logic would apply to Theists too. How can anyone claim that they KNOW there IS a God.

All ANYONE can be is agnostic.

The theist versus a-theist debate is pointless. An atheist just believes belief in God is irrelevant anyway. Not something to argue over. Not sure why someone would try to challenge that belief anyway. To validate the relevance of their own beliefs perhaps?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I always thought that an Atheist, is someone who chooses not to believe in God or gods, because God "doesnt do thing the way they want to" ...

Some Atheist expressions are

" If there is a God, why doesn't he do this..."

" If God exhists, why did he let this happen ..."

So basically ...if things happened the way they want Atheists would believe in God.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
There truly are people who, according to them, KNOW there can be no God. I know from personal experience, I use to be one of them !!!

What they are trying to say is that they do not believe that there is a God.

They are not saying that they believe that there is no God.

This makes them no different from agnostics.

To say someone does not appear to be happy, is EXACTLY THE SAME as saying they appear to be unhappy.

I agree with Rant, the debate is pointless. Bewteen an atheist and a theist exists a black hole. One can do nothing to effect the other one's position, however, each one has WITHIN THEMSELVES the power to get to the other side. Again, this too I know from personal experience, I'm the chicken that crossed the road

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir
So basically ...if things happened the way they want Atheists would believe in God.
Excellent point!

I think a basic difference between athiests and many 'religious' people is that atheists resist the pressure of society to 'fit in' by believing in a god--and those who 'believe' in a god create their own that does things the way they want--so they will believe in him.

It seems that the atheists might have less inclination to deceive self for the sake of comfort.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I ask you this, if there is no God, then you might want to stop using the word God since it is just a make belive word that should have no meaning for you.

A true atheist would have no concpet of the meaning behind the word God.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Okay, I see what this guy is saying.. it's just thrown out into a couple of confusing sentences.

Yeah.. really everybody is just agnostics. On the other hand, this is the life we live and some choose to make the choice for whatever reasons to side either science or religion, even though the act of SIDING with either is kind of illogical.

In the end everything is a paradox, and mabye logic isn't the best thing to use in order to understand.

I'm agnostic because I understand this. Most don't really think about it, and were raised a beliver or chose to be a non-beliver for whatever reasons. (ex: Doesn't like the restrictions of religon)

Either way we can't really KNOW or not KNOW, but what is KNOWING anyways. Why does it matter in the end? As long as nobody uses these beliefs to hurt or convert anybody, it's fine.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat

Neither would a true theist. It is an ill defined word who's meaning changes from person to person. If you really try to nail down it's meaning, you will discover it is defined inconsistently, which is why it can mean anything anyone wants it to.

But yes, I am a True Atheist™, because I know god doesn't exist. How do I know? I have faith.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir

I always thought that an Atheist, is someone who chooses not to believe in God or gods, because God "doesnt do thing the way they want to" ...

Some Atheist expressions are

" If there is a God, why doesn't he do this..."

" If God exhists, why did he let this happen ..."

It's funny that I've NEVER heared this and I'm an atheist.. though I have heared the atypical explanations for atheism: "They just want to sin without being punnished." [even though many christians seem to use 'forgiveness' as a licence to and to judge from some imaginary moral highground]. So we don't believe in god because we don't get our own way? How can someone not believe in something despite it? That would be admitting it exists by default so would mean they are not atheists.
I agree with others it's a pretty useless discussion except to attack atheists and question their motives and honesty.. which was the point to the thread.

Now.. if anyone genuinely want to know.. the reason many atheists are atheists is because they find belief in god illogical [and needless]. The universe is quite capable of existing without some old guy in the sky waving a finger to create a universe he depends on to exist in the first place.. personally I find the idea fanciful.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by riley]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Now.. if anyone genuinely want to know.. the reason many atheists are atheists is because they find belief in god illogical [and needless]. The universe is quite capable of existing without some old guy in the sky waving a finger to create a universe he depends on to exist in the first place.. personally I find the idea fanciful.

Dam I cant give you a vote toward the way above top secret award.
Of course there is such a thing as athiest Im a good example of a athiest.

All logic would suggest that a higher power dosnt exist . As for reglion well quite frankly it is just a method of controlling the masses and of course people cant think for themselvs but thats another issue.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
I ask you this, if there is no God, then you might want to stop using the word God since it is just a make belive word that should have no meaning for you.

I ask you this, if there is no Tooth Fairy, then you might want to stop using the word Tooth Fairy since it is just a make believe word that should have no meaning for you.

Substitute "Tooth Fairy" for any mythological entity and it works the same. Just because one doesn't believe in the tooth fairy doesn't mean doesn't understand the concept of the tooth fairy.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
substutive allagory is one of the most stupidist arguments to use.

The definition of God is a diety that is an object of worship.

The defintion of atheist is someone who denies the existance of God.

So an athiest has to accept there are people who do worship God, thus indirectly supporting a religious belief.

Atheisum cannot exist without religion existing to be "agasint" you take away all religions who worship God or Gods in the world and it is no longer possible to have atheists exist.

of course, each person has thier own personal definition of Ahtesits, God, and religion, so in the end this is a discussion that can never be proven one way or another

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think being an atheist is pretty narrow-minded. Isn't just saying "There may be a good, there may not be a god" enough?

www.atheists.com...

I'm sorry, but "An open site for open minds"??

They are clearly not open to the idea of God. They are against it.

You should see their polls

God wasn't created by Elites. The idea of God has been around since humans existed.

I do not follow a religion, but I do not deny the idea of God.

www.atheistsunited.org...

"Our Mission: 1) To promote atheism through education"

Promote atheism??

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a Christian. How can anyone claim they KNOW there is a god?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join