It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passenger Plane Crashes North of Peru

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This is breaking,
reports says 2 dead, many injured... looking for links, just preliminary info so far.....

here's a link, not much more info
Passenger plane crashes in Peru

LIMA (AFP) - A Peruvian airline passenger plane crashed close to the Amazon city of Pucallpa, police said, without indicating how many passengers were onboard the aircraft.

The Tans airline plane crashed near Pucallpa after taking off from Lima.

we have conflicting reports now....maybe not a crash, but an emergency landing

Peru passenger jet makes emergency landing in jungle

LIMA, Peru, Aug 23 (Reuters) - A Peruvian passenger plane on Tuesday made an emergency landing without its landing gear on a road near a jungle airport in heavy storms, firefighters said.

The plane, operated by state airlines TANS, was flying to the jungle town of Pucalpa in central Peru when it came down several miles (km) before the runway, police in the area added.

"The plane made an emergency landing but without its landing gear ... We don't know if anyone was killed," said firefighter Ilda Pineda.

One passenger, William Zea, told RPP radio about 20 people were injured in the crash landing.

TANS declined to comment.

[edit on 8-23-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
What the heck is going on?
This has got to be a record for the most plane crashes and problems in a single month.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
looks like there are deaths as well as numerous injuries from the varying reports, still the official word hasn't been made as to exactly how many were onboard, injured or died....

At Least 2 Dead in Plane Crash in Peru

LIMA, Peru - A commercial airliner carrying an unspecified number of passengers crashed Tuesday near a jungle town and radio reports said at least two people were dead and about 20 others injured with burns and broken bones.

"We are standing next to the cabin and we can see the body and it appears that it is a flight attendant in her uniform. We can also see a person, it appears to be a female," a correspondent for Radioprogramas radio said. "There are bodies of children. Many bodies."

The accident occurred around 4:20 p.m. about 20 miles from the jungle city Pucallpa, 305 miles northeast of the capital, Lima.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Plane crashes happen all the time. In June and in the US alone there were 176 plane crashes. Eleven of which were major aircarriers while the rest were just general aviation.

The update for July should be within the next few days, but here's where I got that from: NTSB Monthly Summary of Civil Aviation Accidents.

EDIT: Fixing link.

[edit on 8/23/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Another link:

edition.cnn.com...

Reports of did children and many victims with burns.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What the hell is going on?!?

I have heard some Roumors of the some Magntic Pole Anomalies that cause Aircraft Instruments to go crazy.

But then I also remember the movie Sneakers and how the Team got hands on a certain Black Box, with the capability to decode all existing encryption systems around the world. When they were testing it, they got into the computer of an Aircraft Control and they had access to all functions regarding the airborne aircraft, and somebody asked: "Does anybody wanna crash an Airplane?"

Scary....

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
FoxNews TV is reporting that there are over 40 deaths on the plane many of whom are children.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is so sad, I know accidents happen all the time and airplanes are still the safest form of mass transportation, but I would be scared to get into a plane right now. It tragic that so many children died.

Report: At Least 40 Dead in Peru Jet Crash

"Until now, there are 40 cadavers that rescue teams are pulling from the wreckage. There could be more deaths, we assume some 60 people in total, since we've rescued 20 injured people," a policeman in the town of Pucallpa told RPP radio, according to Reuters.

The reports said the plane tried to make an emergency landing during bad weather. Details on the number of people aboard and the type of aircraft were not immediately available.

[edit on 8-23-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Skynews are now reporting that 70 have died

So sad I cant believe how many plane crashes there has been latley.
www.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I think people are just catching them in the news really... I don't see anything really out of the ordinary here, but maybe that's just because I'm a pilot and used to hearing of these things from aviation circles.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
How does this crash bode for companies who are trying to 'out source' mechanic jobs to South America and Centrla America? I can't imganine after a crash like this that such jobs will now be a readily given to these nations as they previously were.

Foul play? Conspiracy to sabatoge SA mechanics to prevent loss of American jobs? I think not, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

BBC has death toll at 70.

A passenger plane has crashed in Peru's Amazon jungle killing at least 70 people on board and injuring many more.
Only 20 to 30 of the 93 passengers and seven crew on the internal flight from the capital Lima to the city of Pucallpa are reported to have survived.

Witnesses say the Boeing 737-200 was approaching Pucallpa airport in bad weather when it experienced problems.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 23-8-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
well bad weather seems to be the blame and not sabotage or terrorist activity...survivors describe heavy turbulence before the crash.

Also per this story, several US citizens, an Australian and 2 Italians and a Spaniard were on board
Link

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Chinese estimate as high as 80.

LIMA, Aug. 23 (Xinhuanet) -- Between 70 and 80 people were killed Tuesday after a Peruvian 737-200 jet crashed near the Amazon city of Pucallpa, Peruvian President Alejandro Toled was quoted as saying.

"There were between 20 and 30 survivors," on the jet which was on a flight between the capital Lima and Pucallpa, Toledo said.

news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
MSNBC now has survivor comments on their web site:

The description is hellish: fire so fierce that it overwhelmed the hail and wind all around the crashed airliner as it lay in a marsh in rural Peru.

I felt a strong impact and a light and fire and felt I was in the middle of flames around the cabin, until I saw to my left a hole to escape through,” survivor Yuri Gonzalez told Radioprogramas. “Two other people were struggling to get out and I also was able to.”

MSNBC

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

What the heck is going on?
This has got to be a record for the most plane crashes and problems in a single month.

Our little interplanetary “friends” are getting a little too frisky with commercial jets, perhaps?

Seriously I think it’s just the hyped up coverage of these crashes, I think this has happened in the past it just hasn't been reported a lot.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

top topics

join