It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ecuadorian Oil Wars: Soldiers Fight Local Villagers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Ecuadorian soldiers have regained control over a number of state run oil wells in northeastern Amazon. Locals with the backing of regional officials took over the wells and blocked local airports and roads. They want to to force Petroecuador, the state oil company, to hire more locals and provide greater investment in roads and public works in the zone and make income tax and royalty payments directly into local government coffers.

news.yahoo.com
QUITO, Ecuador - Soldiers regained control of a number of oil wells in the northeastern Amazon on Friday, allowing state-run oil company Petroecuador to recover some of its output after protesters demanding a greater share of oil wealth ground production to a halt, officials said.

But Energy Minister Ivan Rodriguez said the recovery of about 30,000 barrels of crude hardly made up for Ecuador's lost daily output of 201,000 barrels. The economic impact was "worse than any war," he said.

He said state oil exports had been suspended, in line with a statement Petroecuador issued to customers Thursday warning that it could not guarantee overseas deliveries because of forces beyond its control.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I didnt have a clue this was happening in Ecuador. If this kind of local warfare over oil was to spread to other oil producing countries it would compound the record oil prices we are experiencing.

There is no indication from that news article that this war with locals is over. They may have retaken some oil wells but that doesnt mean others wont be captured or recaptured.

I shall be watching Ecuador with great interest. This action might spark the same riots in other countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Africa and the Caspian.

[edit on 19/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Ecuador's Government has warned that troops could open fire to quell protests that have crippled oil output and forced the country to ask Venezuela for a loan of crude oil so it can keep up exports.

The protests in two Amazon provinces pushed US crude oil futures up $US2 above $US65 a barrel in New York on Friday.

Ecuador is usually South America's fifth-largest producer of crude oil and, after Venezuela, the second-largest South American supplier of oil to the United States.

State-owned Petroecuador says it is slowly resuming oil production as troops took control of installations in Sucumbios and Orellana provinces.

But an official says Ecuador will ask Venezuela to lend it crude oil so it can meet export commitments.

www.abc.net.au...

tension is quietly building up in the region and with the worlds eyes turned to Iraq many of these problems are being overlooked.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The fights don't seem to be limited between military vs people.

On the TV news just a few minutes ago, they mentioned that in some cities, police officers, city councils and mayors had been arrested by the military for backing the people. In some cases its police fighting the military.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hi

I've been following this thread for a few days now. According to the BBC News this morning, the Ecuadorian army has 'regained control' and is stepping up to try and stop protests and to restart oil production. I don't know how effective this militant method will be in the long wrong as it is only applying force and not addressing the real problem.

THe protesters want the money from oil to go to national initiatives. Doesn't seem too unfair unless you happen to be a government official getting filthy rich on production.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Police fighting against the soldiers? I did not know that! This sounds more like a civil war by the minute if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

The protesters are demanding foreign oil companies operating in the region provide financing for infrastructure projects and more job opportunities.

This quote tells me that the problem is with the control of the wells, just because is “state operated” doesn’t mean that the people in the country are getting benefits from it.

Perhaps only the government in power is the one reaping the profits after the foreign oil companies get their share.

It seems that is many US base oil companies working in Ecuador along with other countries.

Now why the people are angry?

Perhaps because these foreign companies are bringing their own foreign workers to Ecuador rather that doing more hiring front the country.

This means that the money generated to pay for foreign workers is not benefiting the country infrastructure.

www.uweb.ucsb.edu...

One of the problems with Venezuela is that they don’t want foreign companies dealing with their oil perhaps the Equadorians want some changes too.

top topics

join