It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the Arabs are feeling the heat of some conspiracy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
link< br />

JUBA, Sudan - Minority Sudanese Arabs fled this southern town Wednesday after ethnic Africans angered by the death of their popular rebel leader went on a two-day rampage, burning Arab shops and homes and killing at least 18 people, witnesses said.

Heavy police and army patrols circulated in the otherwise empty dirt roads of Juba on Wednesday. An Associated Press reporter saw shops and an outdoor market that had been burned to the ground.

At Juba's airport, dozens of Arabs — mostly men — were lined up with baggage for flights north to the Arab-dominated capital, Khartoum. Women and families appeared to have left already.

Violence erupted after the death of John Garang, the charismatic leader of rebels who for 21 years fought for ethnic African, mostly Christian and animist southern Sudan to gain independence from the Khartoum government in the mainly Muslim Arab north.

Garang died in a helicopter crash Saturday night — just three weeks after becoming vice president under a peace deal that established a power-sharing government between north and south.

The government and Garang's own Sudan People's Liberation Movement say the crash was an accident. But outraged southerners rioted in the capital, Juba, and other cities — some believing the government was behind the death. Around 75 people were killed in violence in Khartoum on Monday and Tuesday.

In Juba — south Sudan's biggest town — angry southerners attacked Arab-owned shops and homes Monday and Tuesday, chasing northerners through the streets and killing them, witnesses said. The witnesses spoke on condition of anonymity for fear for their lives.

In one case, two Arabs tried to seek refuge in a nearby camp set up for humanitarian workers, but police turned them away. The men were killed nearby, Sudanese staffers at the camp said, refusing to give their names for the same reason.

The town has a population of some 350,000, most of them southerners who are ethnic Africans, mainly Christians and animists. The town is surrounded by SPLM forces and supplied from the north by air.

Yet the Arab Muslim minority holds most of Juba's main businesses.

at least its great to hear that Arabs are feeling that blaming on other non Arabs for their problems, now we got non-Arabs blaming them for this because of a conspiracy that the Arabs have somthing to do with the death of the VP of that country.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

In one case, two Arabs tried to seek refuge in a nearby camp set up for humanitarian workers, but police turned them away. The men were killed nearby, Sudanese staffers at the camp said, refusing to give their names for the same reason.

Somehow 'great' isn't the word that sprang to mind when I heard that. How is more violence a good thing?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I see no purpose to this thread either than to muse over the misfortune of Muslims.

Are we that small?

:shk:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
What do ethnic-Albanian and ethnic-African mean? I am confused, are they albinos, three armed, cyclopses?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Maybe I am just getting old, but its never "GREAT" for me to hear about anyone getting killed or burned out.

The sad thing is these shop owners were probably about as guilty as those poor people in London or New York.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I see no purpose to this thread either than to muse over the misfortune of Muslims.

Are we that small?

:shk:

About this [] small I should think.

Where is the real story in this thread? Is it not concerned with the overall situation or the escalation of conflict?

new topics

top topics

join