It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vet. with 10,000 hours of flight sees UFO the size of two USS Nimitz aircraft carriers.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I stumbled across this story in my searches lately. Pretty impressive story, if you have not yet read about it.

Some highlights:

There was something odd in the sky last week, something that caused a Navy veteran with 10,000 hours of flight experience to have his own close encounter.

The former flight engineer, who wished to be identified only as "David," said of the experience, "this was like nothing I’ve ever seen before."

Gets a bit weird here.....

It was a bright and sunny afternoon, about 3:15 p.m., and David was outside preparing his lawnmower. He had filled the mower with gas, checked the oil, and took a sip from a glass of water he had poured. When he tilted his head back to get the final sip, through the bottom of the glass he saw a large cigar-shaped object hovering in the sky.

David said windows were equally spaced around the object, however he didn’t see anyone or anything inside. The size of the object was enormous. By comparison, he said, consider what an ultralight plane would look like next to a Boeing 747. He said it was about the size of two USS Nimitz aircraft carriers.

No comment from me here !

The object began changing colors from a bright silver to an orange-ish red. A strange cloud of red and orange flames began surrounding the object, and before he knew it the object stretched out like a rubber band. It grew to about twice its original size, and then it was gone.

The entire incident lasted about 10 minutes, he recalled Monday morning, but he is unaware of the specific time because, "it felt like time stopped."

Story here

More details are in the link.

Comparing:

The Nimitz Class aircraft carriers are the largest warships ever built. With over 6,000 personnel (crew and aircrew), the carrier has a displacement of 102,000t, and a flight deck length of 332.9m.

www.naval-technology.com...

Hmmmm

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Pilots and Astronauts see UFOs all the time.
I wish they would get together and talk to the public about it. They are afraid of being discredited and such, it is a shame.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Wow, thats a really account, you dont often hear an experienced military person talking about seeing UFO's.

The object began changing colors from a bright silver to an orange-ish red. A strange cloud of red and orange flames began surrounding the object, and before he knew it the object stretched out like a rubber band. It grew to about twice its original size, and then it was gone.

That sounds like it could be a swarm of nano-bots being used to make the ship bigger.

[edit on 7/29/2005 by iori_komei]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Sorta like my UFO sighting. I tilted my head back to reach the last sip of sode from my soda can, started looking at the stars and there it was. Ofcourse I'm leaning towards my 'tilting head causes involountary illusions' theory.
But then again, I have no evidence, only this one coincidence. He did say it looked pretty wierd though.. stretching and stuff? Sounds like an illusion to me.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
He says he was looking through the bottom of his glass!?

If you look through the bottom of a water filled tumbler then your bound to see wierd shapes... try it yourself.

Water refracts light and usually at the bottom of any glass its quite thick, trying to make sense of anything through inch thick spherical glass (the bottom bit is called a ball) you could see anything you wanted to!

Unless i have missed something in this article that he says he put the glass of water down then carried on watching this object then i dont really believe this man/article.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'm disinclined to believe this report for a variety of reasons. If you were far enough away from a giant Nimitz class carrier to see the entire ship if it was twice that size, then any windows you might see would be difficult to assign a meaningful size to (unless you just assumed them to be normal sized). For all the man knew the ship could have been much farther away than he extimated and the windows much larger. Secondly, the comment that it stretched in length and became surrounded by orangish colored light is a comment more applicable to a reflection off of something on the surface than to an air/spaceship. Thirdly, the comment that it was just hovering there is once again more appropriate to some reflection from the surface of the earth. Fourthly, the fact that something that apparent size was not seen by anyone else is, to say the least, unusual. Fifthly, the fact the man did not want his name known leads me to think he probably doubted his own observation.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
I'm disinclined to believe this report for a variety of reasons. If you were far enough away from a giant Nimitz class carrier to see the entire ship if it was twice that size, then any windows you might see would be difficult to assign a meaningful size to (unless you just assumed them to be normal sized). For all the man knew the ship could have been much farther away than he extimated and the windows much larger. Secondly, the comment that it stretched in length and became surrounded by orangish colored light is a comment more applicable to a reflection off of something on the surface than to an air/spaceship. Thirdly, the comment that it was just hovering there is once again more appropriate to some reflection from the surface of the earth. Fourthly, the fact that something that apparent size was not seen by anyone else is, to say the least, unusual. Fifthly, the fact the man did not want his name known leads me to think he probably doubted his own observation.

I tend to believe this too. But the water glass idea as posted by the member above the quote, no he looked at without the glass.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Edit: Double post, damn you dialup !

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Dulcimer]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It really irks me when someone tries to put something that, by definition, is outside our realm of understanding into a shoebox. This sounds like an illusion? That's silly. The motto of this site is deny ignorance... not embrace it! Labelling this an "illusion" from what little detail is in the story is counterproductive.

Here are a few things that strike me about this story:

1 -- The man claims to be a Navy veteran with over 10,000 hours of flight experience. They also refer to him as a former "chief petty officer". These facts agree, as CPO is a likely rank to be held by a Naval flight engineer. It only proves that the witness knew something about navy ranks and their corresponding jobs.

2 -- The estimates the size and speed of the object, but curiously (to me anyway) never estimates the ALTITUDE of the object. I've known many pilots and they always look up, tell you what kind of aircraft you're looking at, and its approximate altitute (usually quite accurately). This fellow attempted to judge speed and size, but not height? Very odd, to me...

3 -- The man claims to have seen windows but nothing or no one behind them. Odd. I see the windows on planes overhead, but they are so small from my perspective, I wouldn't expect to see anything behind them. It's very odd to me that this fellow would make a note that he didn't see anything in the window... especially since the windows were probably so far away that nothing could possibly be seen through them. More importantly, he never mentioned the altitude, so we would never know just how close to the object he was or why he thougt it was approximately 2000 feet long.

My problem with this story is that the details don't strike me as the kind that an experienced naval aviator would have stressed. Sure, the reporter may have elected to use only certain information, but true or not, there's really nothing in this story that hasn't been heard thousands of times before... some guy in the middle of nowhere thinks he saw something. Yawn.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I don't see how anyone can make any legitimate arguments for or against this guy's eyewitness account just from an online article. You can't pass judgement on things he did or didn't say when he was only quoted a handful of times. Before trying to shred his story to pieces, you may want to actually READ HIS STORY. Perhaps spend the few extra minutes to go to the website that he reported this to, and maybe READ HIS STORY? Not the brief story written about his story... but the actual report the man gave. For all you know, he could have mentioned the altitude and other information in his report.

Leave it to ATS members to try and discredit a sighting based on a short article about the reporting of a sighting. Furthermore, how can anyone make the comment that he was the only person to have seen it? Many people could have seen it. Some could have even reported it. But none of you even bothered checking into that! You'd rather base your opinions, once again, on this short article. Maybe this guy lives in a remote area. Maybe the sky was cloudy and the object was covered by the clouds in most other areas.

What I'm trying to hammer away at here is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions, especially when we're too lazy to even do a few minutes research. The fact that the man didn't reveal his true identity should lend credibility to his story, not take away from it. By not giving his personal information it shows that he isn't out to gain anything from this, be it financially or just the publicity.

KEEP AN OPEN MIND --- DO THE RESEARCH --- DENY IGNORANCE!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
yet he did not take any video or pictures??

Where did this happen and why did not one else see it?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman
yet he did not take any video or pictures??

More info will be provided here when they decide to publish the report the man gave.

www.nuforc.org...

It should be a good one, supposedly quite detailed.

Just wait.

P.S. Always read source articles !

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

You don't know that. For all we know, countless people could have seen it. The large majority of UFO sightings go unreported anyway. Even if people did see it, and only told their family and friends and neighbors, we would never hear about it. Most people don't know to go online and find a UFO reporting organization to tell their story to. He also could be living in a very rural area. I've given other theories as to why there may not have been any other witnesses in a previous post. Some also theorise that only certain people can see UFO's in some cases. We could both be looking at the sky together, and only one of us could be able to see a gigantic UFO a hundred feet up while the other sees right through it.

Let's give this guy a chance at least until we read his report.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This was reported in Exeter, New Hampshire .

Exeter was one of the places Betty and Barney Hill got abducted.

Also if you search Exeter UFO you'll find several other UFO cases have been reported and investigated in Exeter!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
So you are "disinclined" to believe this account? Do any of the naysayer's protestations influence those of us who have seen an unidentified flying object? No they don't, but I am sure these squirming contorting scaredy cats will continue to rant and rave that it can't be possible. Whatever makes you feel better...

Now that we have that settled, I find this ex-military man's very interesting. I witnessed an extraordinary purple cloud that I believe cloaked a UFO back in the early 1970's. I also saw a giant rectangle shaped ufo in September 2004 that presented itself over 5 pm rush hour traffic in Charlotte, NC. It was easily as long as a football field and 1/4 the height and I could easily make out detail. It was an incredible sight and strangely, I was not frightened in the least bit.

What are they? The sky is the limit. They could be from other planets or other dimensions or they could be your Grannie popping in to see how you're doing. For certain is the fact that we don't have control over them nor do we have access to the secrets of their superior technology - cause you can be certain our military would use their technology in military conquests if they had knowledge of it.

I believe they come from other dimensions. I hope they continue to let us survive. I encourage others to report their ufo sightings on this website and to NUFORC!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I am skeptical of the human eyes ability to determine the size and distance of an unknown object. When you see an airliner in the sky, you can semi-accurately guess its altitude and distance because you know its rough dimensions.

If you were far enough away from a giant Nimitz class carrier to see the entire ship if it was twice that size, then any windows you might see would be difficult to assign a meaningful size to (unless you just assumed them to be normal sized). For all the man knew the ship could have been much farther away than he extimated and the windows much larger.

Good point. My guess is that the object was smaller and closer than he thought. Who knows?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Still no report on www.nuforc.org... .

It should be there soon enough, then at least we can really look into it.

Like mentioned before, the reporter could mention whatever he/she wants, but omit details etc. We do not know the real story.

I guess if you were really interested you could email the reporter, the link is in the article I posted originally.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Update

The same source has done a follow up article due to massive interest.

www.seacoastonline.com...

Its a skeptics delight though.

Yann Marchandin, the French "Ufologist" who contacted the News-Letter via e-mail, said there was a similar UFO sighting in Poland in 1997 and another in 1999. In both incidents, witnesses claimed to have seen large "military ship-sized" tubes, or cigar-shaped objects in the sky.

She said this recent report, by an Exeter man who wished to be identified only as "David," was very interesting to her because of its similarities to the two other sightings and also because of his military and aviation background.

There were also those who questioned the recent sighting. If the object was so large in the sky, why did nobody else see it, many asked in e-mails sent to the News-Letter.

Contacted this week, David said he couldn’t explain why he alone saw the UFO, and he even asked several of his neighbors if they saw anything odd that day. No one had, he said.

He still has several houses to check, as he lives in a neighborhood with about two dozen homes.

The Exeter Police Department said there were no reports that day, or since then, of a UFO sighting. Local Federal Aviation Administration officials could not be reached for comment.

Again they say:

David’s report will soon be available for public viewing at the center’s Web site at www.nuforc.org.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Bumping this for members who were wondering if anyone else saw the object.

And to keep you busy, the old exeter files.

ufocasebook.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Rasputin13 - Every comment I made concerning this ex chief's alleged UFO sighting is perfectly true and scientifically valid. He stated that he checked to see if any other reports of a sighting had been made and found there had not been any other reports. His two statements concerning its size, shape and motion are both consistent with light being reflected off of something at another location. (If the exact angle and azimuth of the Sun relative to the ground nearby was known, along with the exact angle and azimuth of the alleged UFO, and the observers orientation to the Sun, it would be possible to have pinpointed the location of the origin of the reflection--if that's what it was (probably a relatively long & narrow calm sheet of water with a light haze of something oily on it) and the object being reflected (which would have been distorted due to the shape of the reflecting body). The orangish-pink coloration of the object he believed he was viewing is consistent with the reflection of light from a thin oily substance floating on water. And finally the statement that it seemed to start burning and stretched out to about twice its original length, is consistent with the light angle relative to the water changing, or the slow movement of the reflecting body--for example water in a roadside gutter running slowly downhill until it reached a point where it had to narrow its flow and/or speed up. In all likelihood one of more of his neighbors had been/was watering the yard or washing a car and there was a bit of water running down a gutter very near his position. Furthermore, I'll bet it was a relatively calm day because more than a slight breeze would cause the surface of a liquid reflecting body to lose its reflecting properties.

And you sir are the one making assumptions--not me.

[edit on 31-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

<<   2 >>

join