It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror Fears Shutdown Cell Phone Service in NY Tunnels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Cell phone service was shut off in all New York City auto tunnels following the London bombings in fear that the cell phones could be used by terrorists to remotely detonate bombs. Service has been restored in the MTA-run tunnels within New York City but remains out in the Port Authority of NY & NJ tunnels that connect New York City and New Jersey.

Cellphone service in car tunnels to Manhattan, which was quietly disabled by transit officials last week after the terrorist attack in London, was partly restored yesterday after the mayor publicly questioned the move and after a dispute over who ordered the shutdown was resolved.

The service was restored for commuters who pass through tunnels under the East River. But those who cross under the Hudson River remained incommunicado. The antennas that allow drivers to use their cellphones in the four car tunnels that connect to Manhattan were disabled on Thursday in response to the subway and bus bombings that morning in London.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which controls the two East River car tunnels, the Queens-Midtown and the Brooklyn-Battery, did not announce the move and said at first yesterday that the shutdown had been the Police Department's idea.

Source: New York Times

Sounds pretty pointless to me, I don't see how cell phones could be used effectively on these tunnels. Luckly there's little cell service at all in the subways, where it would be much more likely to be used.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Imo, this means the terrorist won this round - as setting fear (London bombing) into an action of loss (U.S. sub cell cuts) is what terrorism is.

Misfit

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Why don't we just all stay home and never come out because of these "terrorists" Seems like a pretty pointless move as pointed out by the thread author.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Please don't take this as an anti-American comment.. it's not.

I have noticed a huge difference in the reaction of London and the US over these bombings.

London... gets bombed... very calm reaction, everyone deals with it without panic and goes back to work on Monday.

US... all American troops and their families advised to stay outside of the M25... mobile service cancelled in the tube system and I see on the news images of the police swarming around the tube system with machine guns!

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
London is used to this, its has been attacked by terrorists before, and no doubt will be again. Some of the people caught up in the bombing remember when parts of the city resembled the moon.

America on the other hand has never really been bombed before and consequently has no experience in dealing with these things.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DonkeyPlopPlop
US... all American troops and their families advised to stay outside of the M25... mobile service cancelled in the tube system and I see on the news images of the police swarming around the tube system with machine guns!

But that is a measure of which all we know was a directive given. For all we know, the London officials may have asked the U.S. to have it's military stay out, as to clear way for itslef - to me, a reasonable measure. Also consider with this, is that the U.S. has not given this same directive to the family members of those military men that are in London. In other words, I don't see that this is a "cover America only" action, otherwise the families would have been ordered to leave.

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
America on the other hand has never really been bombed before and consequently has no experience in dealing with these things.

Until WTC, America only saw the Oklahoma incident, which, while drastic and life costly, is simply on no scale of grandeose bombings that WTC was. Before Oklahoma, America has never been bombed ............ period.

Misfit

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Misfit]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Idiotic.

There is more than one way to set off a device. If cell phones don't work, use timers. If timers don't work etc etc etc.

I'm not a mad bomber, so I'm not terribly familiar, but honestly... this is as dopey as thinking "The Club" is infallible against car thieves.

Personally I was in the Holland Tunnel on Thurs night, and the Lincoln late Sunday night and cell service was out both times, for all carriers.

I assume it will be restored shortly as the idea has not been received well by most people, and is being viewed similar to patching a flat tire with scotch tape.

new topics

top topics

join