It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extracting Video from Cat Brains

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
These pictures arent shot with a camera, there being transmitted from a cats brain and with a little touching clear pictures can be made out.

I can see many uses for this type of technology from spying to advanced VR for military training or even simple gaming for recreation.The possibilitys are endless.Mabye the matrix really aint that far away, I think technology like this is really going to come into play in the next 100 years or so in both practial and recreational fields, imagin being able to record and watch all of your dreams instead of the memorys of just evaporating as we go through out day.

Now, we know what raw experience looks like inside the brain of another being, and thus entire philosophies of mind that were premised on internal experience forever being private, have been rendered obsolete. I have no doubt that it won’t be long before these interfaces are made with human subjects with the frequency and expense of a complex tattoo. Those interfaces will also be bi-directional - giving us the ability to augment reality, replace it, or simply to record our nightly dreams to share with others. It won’t be long before our preferred interface with cyberspace will be through mindjacks.

www.mindpixel.com...

Merkz out..

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wow! Scary! I guess no need for the judicial system anymore. Just strap up the accused and peer into his brain to see what he saw. If the dead body is amongst some of the images......well then.......? O.J. should go first so we can put that one to bed!

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This finally gives way to a paradox that couldn't be solved otherwise.

I'm sure either you've thought it or heard it. What if everyone saw colors differently, aka if I saw green grass in the same place you saw yellow grass but because you've learned the name and association you can't really describe it other than what you see.

But now since we can see through the eyes of this cat, its possible to conclude that we all see the same, relatively speaking of course.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Holy crap! haha, that is so cool. They need to get this developed and start using humans. I can't put into words how awesome it would be to record your dreams and what not. What doesnt make sense to me is, even though it is recorded from the brain isn't it still recording what your eyes see? Wouldn't that mean that you wouldn't be able to record your dreams because they happen in your mind? Well if it does work out I say we hook this up to a human (I guess an animal would do too but maybe harder to understand) that is going to die and then see what happens.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This reminds me of the old movie "Brainstorm". If you aren't old enough to remember this movie, then you ought to see it. It was pretty good at the time it was released. Some of the plot includes some scientists develop a recording device that allows people to record and playback experiences through an elaborate headset. After achieving success, the military steps in to take control of the project much to the dismay of the scientists who know it has the capability to harm people if it is in the wrong hands. The device not only records visual images, but also, sights, sounds, smells, etc. At the end of the movie, one of the scientists plays back a recording of someone dying so they can experience death. Interesting concept.

See:
Brainstorm

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I'm sure either you've thought it or heard it. What if everyone saw colors differently, aka if I saw green grass in the same place you saw yellow grass but because you've learned the name and association you can't really describe it other than what you see.

But wouldn't we still not be able to even tell? When we watch the video of what they are seeing, it would still be yellow grass to them and green grass to us. It'd be the same as watching a VHS tape of grass. The one guy would see it as yellow grass and the other as green grass. I hope you can understand what I'm saying here... lol

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Interesting … But, now, ummm … is the resulting video actually what the cat “sees”? Or is it a subjective interpretation of what the cat should “see”, given the electrical signals recorded and our understanding of the cat’s visual apparatus from a mechanical standpoint?

Did that make any sense? Probably not. Seriously, I may be way off base and a little on the lame side, but, I was wondering if the cat interpreted/processed it’s own brain’s electrical activity the same way we interpreted it in order to make the video, and if the“mental” image formed by the cat is the same as the image we formed when making the video.

In other words, my question is, “Is this truly what the cats sees”? What if the video were made using a dog instead of a cat? Would the result look the same? If so, then it doesn’t tell me much about how the 2 animals view the world differently. What I’m getting at is, if all it amounts to is the mechanical process of creating a video through someone else’s eyeballs, it’s not the same is walking in their shoes and viewing the world as they view the world. It doesn’t really get into their heads in any meaningful way.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s fascinating stuff. I guess I just don’t fully grasp it yet. Interesting, though …

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

But wouldn't we still not be able to even tell? When we watch the video of what they are seeing, it would still be yellow grass to them and green grass to us. It'd be the same as watching a VHS tape of grass. The one guy would see it as yellow grass and the other as green grass. I hope you can understand what I'm saying here... lol
thats exactly what i was thinking!

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

If you think about this hard enough, if 2 people saw differently and the cat saw like one of them (or neither) someone's vision would be negated or warped. Like looking at a negitive on a film slide. There would be a screw up in some color or other.

If you didn't get that, say the cat is looking at a banana which is my yellow but another person in the room sees it as my green. The cat will see it differently from someone (if the vision is screwed up) that is as long as we are going from the cats brain impulses and not just its optics. Which in that case it would be like looking at a normal monitor being broadcast.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Is this 'experiment' the same, or along the same lines as the cat nicknmaed Danger Kitty?
From my recall.....Danger Kitty was a cat that had all kinds of implants in its head so it COULD be used as a spy...........this poor animal had all kinds of rot gooing on where the implants were put....it died a miserable death if I am recalling this correctly. I thought the whole thing was rather ghastly!!!

Is this NEW cat experiment related to that other one????

SOMEBODY MAKE THEM STOP THIS!!! Leave the poor kitties alone, if these scientists believ in this IDEA so wholeheartedly, let them volunteer theyre OWN dang brain..........

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It's obvious you're not seeing the same colors as the cat. Since it's going through a video feed and into a TV you know it can't possiblely have the range of vision. Why do yout hink there's HDTV, etc? We're seeing what a cat sees with the color pallete severely reduced.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm sure ESPN, Speed Vision and the like will be very interested in this tech. Just think they will be able to download or better yet stream video footage of exactly what the racer or athlete is seeing

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Certainly a scary road... As for using it in court, how would one distinguish between dream and reality?

What if everyone saw colors differently, aka if I saw green grass in the same place you saw yellow grass but because you've learned the name and association you can't really describe it other than what you see.

Already happens. I'm partially colorblind. My friends have a gray dog. To me, he looks absolutely hunter green....I kid you not.

Also, purple and blue are, to me, the same exact color. I see NO difference, unless they are certain hues, etc. I have similar troubles with reds, browns, and greens.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Gazrock in the article it actually says its interpreting the electo info stuff from the visual cortex or something i cant remember. but anyway its not "saved data" its "semi-streaming media". although the tech at the moment 'can only interpret 10 neurons at the once.

Coincidentally it was on an episode of star trek: voyager. an alien race's homicide court extracted the final memories of the dead victim, then inputted them into the murderer, so as punishment the murderer has to live out the final moments of the person he killed over and over (since the information was by activated by force). Quite a good idea actually, perhaps this is one way the tech will progress....

and i realli think and hope that the tech will progress.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I agree with what some people posted on the site...how disgusting...Oh Gee, the animal was under anesthesia and suffered no pain-yeah, right...How about when it woke up and remembered being prepped for the experiment? Does sound just like what some people claim aliens are doing to us...how hypocritical......Animals are so similar to us in emotions they shouldn't be experimented on-IMO

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Mercury do you eat meat ?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
ITS A FEW CATS!!!! yea all life is precious etc etc....yawn but its fine...they said they dint feel anything!!!!! the cats arent walking round with a chip on their shoulder toward the scientists or have brain damage!

besides ooo what if a cat died!
god cats die all the time, dogs, cars, natural causes, earthquakes, more cars, fallin down holes etc....not a big deal. stop bummin this one thing just because its new and unusual. All over the world thousands of animals are cruelly, inhumanely held and tested on, many painfully without anestetic etc, most of which die, so this is the most humane case of animal testing i seen!

Besides aint even animal testing!! so they stuck a few electrodes here and there.........BIG BLOOMIN DEAL....

I for one find this an extremely AWSOME scientific advancement

As a side note when the tech progresses think of the possibilities! I myself am studying graphics and animation etc. it bugs me that it takes so long.

Imagine all the would-be artists that only have to think about something and it gets translated to video. I could think "see" entire episodes of animation, and it would be translated to video! AWSOME!!!! MORE FREE TIME FOR ME!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
cats die all the time ... fallin down holes etc....not a big deal.

haha for some reason that was really really funny, when do cats fall down holes? haha.

Ok, well I would still like to know the answer to my question about, if it is just what the eyes are seeing, wouldn't you not be able to record a dream because thats in your mind??

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
O rite.....no that is stored information. But it would work the same way more or less.

How do you think you remember something. That memory engram or for lack of a better analagy, "group of braincells with code scarred into them".

youre brain should fire electrical signals to that area of your brain which activates the cells with a particular memories in (more or less anyway- the finer details of how it works are not essential)....

ANYWAY all they would most likely have to do is fire "man made" electrical signals through that area, and decode whatever info comes out, however they did what they did, the same way as they interpret the data from the optic nerves etc.

i hopethats at least half accurate!
well it seems the most logical way it would work neways.....

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
ITS A FEW CATS!!!! yea all life is precious etc etc....yawn but its fine...they said they dint feel anything!!!!! the cats arent walking round with a chip on their shoulder toward the scientists or have brain damage!

besides ooo what if a cat died!
god cats die all the time, dogs, cars, natural causes, earthquakes, more cars, fallin down holes etc....not a big deal. stop bummin this one thing just because its new and unusual. All over the world thousands of animals are cruelly, inhumanely held and tested on, many painfully without anestetic etc, most of which die, so this is the most humane case of animal testing i seen!

Besides aint even animal testing!! so they stuck a few electrodes here and there.........BIG BLOOMIN DEAL....

I for one find this an extremely AWSOME scientific advancement

Actually you made me laugh!!!
Very Funny!!! You have a way with words! It is awesome, actually. Seriously, don't alot of humans die everyday, fall in holes, get hit by cars, get put into slavery, tortured, beheaded, etc...what's a few humans???
JUst kidding Ya!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join