It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I've meaning to come back to this thread but time always seems to get into the way...well I'm making an attempt now...so there!

November 2005
Scientists Say Water Shortages Will Result From Global Warming

Scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography predict there will be a water shortage due to global warming in as little as 20 years in the United States. Their study shows water supplies from glaciers and snow reserves will dwindle as more of the polar icecap melts.

Scientists say the timeline for loss of water in other parts of the world will vary, but it will not happen overnight.

"For other places in the world like Peru, probably sooner, and yet other places like China, maybe a little bit later,” said Dr. Barnett. “So it's not something you're going to wake up to in the morning and say, ‘Oh my God, we're out of water,’ it's not going to happen like that, it will just be slow."

Global warming to cause water shortage: study

Liberia; Water Shortage!

Water shortage panics China city

New Zealand; Wine growers face water shortage

June 2005
Rural China in clean water crisis

March 2005
China warns of water pollution

I could keep going but I rather you do the research for yourself to see that water will cost more than gas. Just google "water shortage" and see what you find.

So what do we do?

Would you be okay with weather manipulation now if you know that we will have to rely on collected rainfall for our water source? Should the government make it rain so that we don't run out of water?

Chemtrails, Haarp, scalar weather manipulation might be too far out there if the "They" already know about this water shortage that the majority of humanity is not aware of....

[edit on 11-30-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Great thread worldwatcher.

This is another one of those 'silent' crises - waiting in line for attention.

FYI - the USA is in fairly big trouble too, and we'll probably feel the pain quite soon. Most of our food comes from the Bread Basket, which gets its water for irrigating crops and watering animals from the Ogallala/Great Plains aquifer - a huge prehistoric underground lake. Problem is, we've been pumping water out of the aquifer for the last 50 years. And now it's almost dry.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Blood For Water

Originally posted by soficrow
FYI - the USA is in fairly big trouble too, and we'll probably feel the pain quite soon.

No worries. If we start running low, we'll just invade Brazil, which has plenty of water.

It's the American way, you know.

As for the well running dry, as always it's a matter of supply and demand. Demand is driven by us, while supply is driven by nature -- specifically weather which determines rainfall.

Weather patterns are notoriously variable, vary dramatically from region to region and within regions, and whatever the causes may be, will change over time.

That's hardly surprising because the world changes over time, and over time humanity has changed to adapt to it, as have all other living things.

Looking ahead, the proposition is the same as it has always been: adapt or perish.

I'm not worried.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Blood For Water

Looking ahead, the proposition is the same as it has always been: adapt or perish.

I agree. It's just that many want to preserve things that aren't worth preserving. Like an economy based on illusion.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Game Preserve

I agree. It's just that many want to preserve things that aren't worth preserving. Like an economy based on illusion.

Is there any other kind?

Economies rise and fall from chaos, like everything else.

The lament I am hearing is for the status quo, but the status quo dies a little every day.

You know, if I watched TV, I probably wouldn´t say such bizarre things.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Game Preserve

Is there any other kind?

The lament I am hearing is for the status quo, but the status quo dies a little every day.

Time for an assisted suicide program maybe?

[slap] It was just a good line. I don't take responsibility for implications.

You know, if I watched TV, I probably wouldn´t say such bizarre things.

LOVE that. Ditto.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Crime Of Conscience

Time for an assisted suicide program maybe?

Why mince words?

Those of us who dare indulge in the luxury of free thought conspire to commit cold-blooded murder of the status quo.

And the punishment for this brazen crime is to be freed from the prison of the mundane.

Such is the noble villainy which resides in every restless heart.

Edit: Quoth the raven evermore.

[edit on 12/1/2005 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Majic;

So the lady is a tramp?

Doth quoth the raven ever more indeed. Are you prepared to prove the blaine, the core of thou counties need?

Why mince words indeed, when to mince is to waste and to Wyrd is to bleed?

[edit on 2-12-2005 by kegs]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
So what do we do?

Until we have some that are actually willing to indulge in the cold blooded murder of the status quo, as opposed to just dreaming about it, I suppose some of those technologies that majic alluded to ealier will have to suffice.

Increased funding into biosalinity, and perhaps more efficient desalinization techniques might prove useful.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
As was stated earlier why dont we just invest in technology to solve the problem, which will help bring down sea levels too.

Quote from website.

'In the wealthier countries of the world, one way to increase the supply of fresh water is to build a desalination plant, which will remove the salt from seawater. The basic technique is simple: the salt water must pass through a filter in order to become fresh. But this simple process requires a great deal of energy. To get fresh water from the sea in sufficient quantities you need to be able to provide and pay for the fossil fuels or other energy sources, such as nuclear power, that the desalination plant requires. These costs are quite high, particularly when added to the costs of building, staffing and maintaining the plant. Since burning fossil fuels and producing nuclear energy present, beyond their financial burdens, risks to human health and the environment, building a conventional desalination plant becomes an even more difficult decision.

In the developing countries, the costs of building and running a desalination plant are prohibitive. These are the same countries whose citizens bear the highest burden from water-borne diseases, and where the supply of fresh water for irrigation is most needed to help alleviate hunger. Even in wealthier lands, in areas where the population density is low and where revenues from taxes are not substantial enough, a conventional desalination plant is too expensive.

In all countries of the world, there are coastal areas that are effectively uninhabitable because of the lack of fresh water; making such areas inhabitable would relieve overpopulation and shortages of agricultural land worldwide. A method of desalination that is less expensive and easier to maintain can not only help avert disease and provide water for drinking and irrigation in the world�s poorer countries, but it can benefit the wealthier nations as well.'

www.solutions-site.org...

When the price of water reaches a certain level you will see this happening, we only invest in this sort of thing to make a profit.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't really mind if there were a world shortage supply.

I live in Australia so there basicly already is one

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in on this, I was trying to find some info on this the other day.

In Earths hydrosphere we have one of the wonders of the solar system, 1.36 billion cubic kilometers of water(326 million miles) weighing over a trillion tons that covers more than 70 percent of our planets surface.

I know this point has probably been covered and to some is common knowledge but this is an excerpt from a book I picked up on the Earth.

"Even if other planets conceal vast subterranean reservoirs, they are unlikely to to rival Earth's reserves, for recent experiments suggest that beneath it's crust, our planet holds five to ten times as much water as resides above it".

I know the discusssion is primarily the basis of fresh water, and even though I've thought there would be some water at the earth's core I was astounded that some scientists believe there to be this much.

If this is true I don't think a shortage of water on our planet will be a problem in the far far far future if there is a way to resource it.

But I think we should seriously consider changing our planet's name, let alone with 70 percent of water on the surface and who know's what lies beneath, the name 'Ocean' would be more apt than 'Earth'

Just wondering if any of you have heard of this and I also searched on ats google for a thread on the earths core but couldn't find one. I think this would be an interesting topic.

Tks

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Just thought I'd quote directly from the New Mexico link:

One billion people lack clean drinking water and 2.6 billion are without adequate sanitation, according to the United Nations, and shortages are expected to get worse when the world's population hits 8 billion in two decades.

What a great thread WW, I don't recall having seen it until now...

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

If this is true I don't think a shortage of water on our planet will be a problem in the far far far future if there is a way to resource it.

Fresh water only requires the energy to pump and transport it. Salt Water however requires an extra step, which is quite inefficient, to remove the sodium from the water. If we should start requiring more fresh water then is generally available at one time, then the price of water will skyrocket. Fresh water will become the next resource where wars will be fought over it in the near future. Like it or not we can live without Oil. We cannot live without Desalinated Water. Desalination plants are usually powered by Nukes. Huge centralised H2O "refineries," will just make it easier to control a resource which we depend upon, while leaving it wide open to corruption, terrorism, and profiteering.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Question is: are we running out of water or are their too many people now on earth to supply with water? More population = more water consumption=less water for people.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Recent UK news from yesterday:

South: Drought

Water, water everywhere - well, apparently not if you live in the south of England.

It seems hard to credit in Britain of all places, but apparently there has just not been enough rain and we are heading for a drought.

At least we are down south - up north they have plenty of water. Their reservoirs are at nine-tenths of capacity - ours are at four tenths.

Which is why this week Thames Water announced a hosepipe ban as from 3 April 2006.

And why Folkestone and Dover Water in Kent was given permission to install compulsory water meters.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
Question is: are we running out of water or are their too many people now on earth to supply with water? More population = more water consumption=less water for people.

Ding! Ding! We have a weener. (Sorry for the Simpons joke
)

You are correct. It's basically supply and demand. Add in a dash of Nuke powered Desalination, then the price of water will go up when demand outstrips supply, leaving those who couldn't access clean fresh water even more out in the cold, so to speak.

Should we develop a cheap, easy, and man portable way to desalinate and decontaminate water, all in one package, and is reusable with just a modest power consumption, then this issue will be mostly moot as those who would be effected the most (the poor), will have (hopefully) cheap access to this technology.

Quite the technical challenge ain't it?

[edit on 18-3-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a few years ago I visited West Yorkshire - around the time of Lady Di's accident - and we walked around a resevoir that was at a record low - indeed a village that had been submerged was now visible. A few years later I ended up living in the same area - Illkley for those who know the area and the same resevoir was allways full. I have now moved back to the South East and got the advice about the fact that we must ration water and hosepipe use - on the same day I got a letter from the Environment Agency (who manage waterways and rivers here in the UK) that my house was now at risk of flooding - hmmm - confused ? well i am.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Well said Majic. And even if they said "worst flood ever" would it really be the worst flood ever? Or just the worst flood in recorded history which in reality only means since like 1880 or so when the NWS was founded. I am unsure of the exact year.
Personally I would describe the dust bowl era as more alarming than what we call global warming today and we certainly survived that.

I think you are tlaking about the explosion of the Krakatoa volcano, in 1883 which started making up to 100 m waves, but which attenuated rapidly and reached islands and coastlines in many places around the world at 40-50m high waves.

There are stories that the waves travelled all around the world, of course the height of the waves continued attenuating and weren't as high when it reached the other side of the world.

Here is a link with some info on that event, which were actually several explosions from Krakatoa.

www.drgeorgepc.com...

These days we have several possible scenarios which could result in waves higher than those that the explosions Krakatoa made back in 1883.

I am talking about "La Cumbre Vieja" volcano in the Canary islands, which at any moment, from today to 1,000 years from now, part of this volcano could break away, and cause a massive tsunami that will devastate parts of the eastern seaboard in the U.S. and other countries, it will also erase life from any islands on it's way to the U.S.

There is also some overdue underwater earthquakes in the Pacific and the Atlantic, close to the U.S. which would also cause a lot of damage to the U.S. as well as South America, Central America and islands in both oceans.

I am really not looking forward to something like this to happen.

Ok, back to the topic, and I apologize for going off tangent.

We will see in the not so distant future water wars.

I believe that in order to make sure that we don't run out of water, several countries around the world should unite and put to good use some of the icebergs that we can still find at the poles, before global warming melts them all, or most of them.

Anyways, there should be an international pact to build huge watertanks around the world and melt as much water from icebergs as is possible in those tanks. Of course this would take cooperation from most countries in the world, as well as billions of dollars. Even then it would take years for a plan like this one to work, and btw imo this plan shouldn't be placed on the hands of one country alone like some people like to do.

Anyways, with the way things are going now, i doubt this would ever happen anytime soon.

[edit on 19-3-2006 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join