It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turned off Science (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
As battles over evolution rage, many children are showing no interest in Science. Children showing interest in Science may not get the summer job they wanted or the Prom Date. They are afraid if they talk about evolution they may insult close friends or relatives. They are afraid to show any interest whatsoever.

It is truly sad that we live in a time when children are afraid to show interest in something. If some people didn't take everything personally and be insulted by minor things it might be a little easier to show interest. It's also sad when showing interest may make you "unpopular" or may even make it so you couldn't get that job that you were looking forward to working at. So Yes, I know that maybe when you or your parents were kids if you were good at math or science you already were labeled "unpopular," and if you excelled at sports you were "popular". In these modern times it's hard to tell the "nerds" from the "jocks" most of the time. Many smart children are also great at sports. The running backs are now math whizzes and the "nerds" are all-star quarterbacks. Now I'll admit there are some "nerds" that aren't good at sports and there are some "jocks" who don't even know 2+2. Today’s kids should be happy to know the Theory of Relativity or Newton's three laws. They should be presented all the facts so they can decide if this is the way for them or if it isn't. Religion and morals are an important thing to many people, but in my opinion it should never come between learning.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 3-6-2005 by 9890]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I orignally submitted this as a news story but it turned into an op/ed and well here is the outcome. Hope you like it.

join