It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Oldest Known New Testament Manuscript: Number of the Beast is 616

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
A new method used for reading old texts has recently been used on the oldest known, and recently discovered, copy of the New Testament revealing that the infamous "Number of the Beast" given in the Bible is actually 616 instead of the frequently touted 666. The manuscript from which this information was gathered is one of the many ancient writings discovered in ancient dumps around Egypt. The number 666 is commonly referred to as symbolic of an apocalypse.

news.independent.co.uk
A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616.

The new fragment from the Book of Revelation, written in ancient Greek and dating from the late third century, is part of a hoard of previously unintelligible manuscripts discovered in historic dumps outside Oxyrhynchus in Egypt. Now a team of expert classicists, using new photographic techniques, are finally deciphering the original writing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is an interesting development if it is without a doubt confirmed that the past translations of the new testament manuscripts are incorrect. Many predictions for world events derived from end time prophecies like in the Book of Revelations incorporate the number of the beast as 666.

[edit on 5/3/2005 by lockheed]

[edit on 5/3/2005 by lockheed]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Awww man!

How in the hell is 616 supposed to strike fear into the hearts of millions?

I think I'll stick with the good 'ol 666....

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Oddly enough, in Marvel comics, 616 is the number of the earth.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

They and satanists responded coolly to the new "Revelation". Peter Gilmore, High Priest of the Church of Satan, based in New York, said: "By using 666 we're using something that the Christians fear. Mind you, if they do switch to 616 being the number of the beast then we'll start using that."

The Independent can be snarky, but this is just too funny.

It wouldn't suprise me though. Give it another 2,000 years and the number of the beast will likely be "revealed" in recently uncovered ancient recordings to be 8675309.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The number of the beast is meaningless. Why? Because if this number was relevant to our civilization then wouldn't you think that on the year 616 something otherworldly would occur that would transcend temporal and spatial aspects of our earth? Nothing even remotely closed happened on 616. Here are the more notable events of 616 A.D.:

The Persians capture Alexandria.
Eadbald succeeds Ethelbert as king of Kent.
Aethelfrith of Northumbria defeats the army of Powys.
Aethelfrith meets Rædwald and the army of East Anglia in the Battle of the River Idle, is slain by Raedwald, which establishes his claim as Bretwalda.
Edwin becomes king of Northumbria.
Oswald of Northumbria flees to Iona.
Adaloald succeeds his father Agilulf as king of the Lombards (approximate date).
Alexandria is captured by Khosrau II of Persia.
The Banu Hashim clan begins to boycott Muhammad.
A shrine on the site of the future Westminster Abbey is founded.
en.wikipedia.org...

616 was garbage, just like the year 666...

Wighard became Archbishop of Canterbury
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Actually the number 666 has inspired whole groups of culty christians to determine that since 3 groups of 6 lines are used on all USBN numbering systems, that commercial products are, in fact the beast...

Maybe now they will buy some commercial products and boost our economy...

The number 616 is important, in that it shows that translation errors are evident in the bible, and those that believe EVERYTHING word for word, maybe believing a monks "late night scribbing hallucination"...
Allow that mistakes might be there, and all of a sudden, the bible becomes far more acceptable as the word of God...

think about it... if we couldn't state, without a doubt, that the world is "12-6 thousand years old, then maybe creationists and evolutionists could debate intellectually... instead of idiotically...

just hoping...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Oh, lord get ready and put your seat belts on we are going to ge a new whole input of prophecies meanings and new speculations now that the new number is here.

Now the prophecy Seekers and Religious theory feeders are going to have a new array of meanings to work with.

Well no wonder the "older prophecies were wrong"

:
:they got the wrong number!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
the real mark of the beast is...

and we all know it....

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
this is great! I love it! Now, what the hell are the devil worshippers gonna carve on the bathroom stalls in Denny's at 3:00 am?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
St. Iriney, the bishop of Leon,
accepted an excruciating halo during persecution of Septimiy from the North in 202.
He got christian education under immediate leadership of St. Polikarp, the bishop of Smirna, the beloved learner of Apostle John Teologian.
St. Polikarp lived till the old days and was torted to death during persecution of Mark Aveliy in 166.
The church historian Yevseviy shows the words of Iriney that he oftenly heard from Polikarp words of Apostle John about the life of Jesus Christ.
But concerning the Revelation no Tradition was left [3]. Iriney tells only that «those who saw John himself witness that the number of the beast concludes 666», against wrong number 616,
that appeared while rewriting [4].
«In concern to the name of antichrist;- Ippolit of Rome wrote,- we cannot definitely say, how Blessed John thought and knew about it: we can only suppose about it.
When antichrist come then the time will show us what we look for today» [5]. It seems that John Theologian meaningly did not leave his comments to the Apocalypse.

helen...

hope that made sense!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Two things:

1. Ever notice how a clock doesn't go to 6:66. Coincidence or was it meant to be that way?

2. This "616" thing is reall going to piss Iron Maiden off.

Peace

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
What is the number of EARTH?

helen

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
One good thing about this, now we don't have to be afraid of the 666 anymore, hold your horses...............now be aware and be very afraid of the evil 616.

I don't know, the mark of the best has lost its luster now that we have such a cuter number as 616.

The mark of the beast will never mean the same anymore................

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The day of the beast!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

from RANT
It wouldn't suprise me though. Give it another 2,000 years and the number of the beast will likely be "revealed" in recently uncovered ancient recordings to be 8675309.

You're a riot, RANT.

But why can't I QUOTE anybody in this thread? Doing so brings me to an empty text entry box, same as just hitting REPLY.

A question for Board Business, I guess.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Also.....
Quote///
"Evidently the Great Beast's name or title will add to 666 if its letters are turned into numbers.
The obvious candidate for the honor is Nero but Revelation was written in Greek and his name in Greek, Neron, adds to 1,005. However, if his Greek title Neron Kaisar is turned into Hebrew letters, the total is 666 (nun - 50, resh - 200, waw - 6, nun - 50, qoph - 100, samech -60, resh -200). Nero also has the advantage of explaining the western tradition that the number was really 616, for if the Latin Nero Caesar is turned into Hebrew letters, it adds to 616."
- Maryse Choisy, "Great Beast", Man, Myth & Magic, An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Supernatural

The variant number 616 is "actually found in some manuscripts of the Greek text of Revelation [such as the Oxyranchus papyrus fragment]."
"The sea beast represented the Roman Empire,
and the second beast represented the emperor and the emperor worship that was common throughout the empire.
Christians from Ephesus might especially have recognized this 'beast'. Their city had built a huge temple for the emperor Domitian housing a colossal statue of this emperor who styled himself 'Lord and God.'
The first beast made war on the saints and the second required everyone, on pain of death, to worship an image on the first beast.
In Domitian, John evidently; saw the rebirth of the evil embodied in the late emperor Nero, who is represented by the number of the beast, 666 (13:1-18)."
- ABC's of the Bible, Reader's Digest , (1991) pp. 362, 370

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It looks like this is nothing new. I googled 616, as I'm sure most everyone else that saw this did, just to see what comes up, and wikipedia.org even has info on this being the # of the antichrist:

The Number of the Beast

616 is believed by some Christians to be the real number of the beast or Antichrist.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well I guess people is stuck with 666 and have not search for the posibility of another number.

Oh, well I feel sorry for the people born in 6, 16 that is going to be some bad news for them now.

And the prophecies will keep on flowing.

How about 13 through history it has become a bad number too..........3 is a multiple of 6 after all.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
It looks like this is nothing new. I googled 616, as I'm sure most everyone else that saw this did, just to see what comes up, and wikipedia.org even has info on this being the # of the antichrist:

The Number of the Beast

616 is believed by some Christians to be the real number of the beast or Antichrist.
en.wikipedia.org...

beat me to it!
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I like your link better

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join