It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Say Even Insects May Be Sentient

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

A few years ago I was trying to get a friend to go white tail hunting. I figured he would love to go with me as he is a huge gun person. Well when I asked him he gave me a nasty look and said something that I will never forget.
"Why would you want to hunt a living creature when as far as we know only this planet has life."
This thread had me think about that day.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Don't listen to this crap.

Next they are going to tell us that vegetables have a soul.

I don't care.

I grew up next to a farm. If I was going to go vegan, it would have been a long time ago.

My ancestors didn't climb to the top of the food chain for me to not get the best cut of meat I can get.

Mmmm. Good juicy animal. Yum!

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I dont think this is a big surprise. I always thought animals have conciousness, even bugs and spiders. Its different to a human, but I think they all still think and feel at their own level. I usually try not to kill bugs unless its a pest or deadly spider. But you still have to kill some bugs, like mosquitos and fleas, or else they spread disease. But like pill bugs, lady bugs, or normal spiders, I try not to kill them, and just catch them and put them outside.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

All life is sentient, that’s what life is.

No one would argue that humans aren’t sentient, yet we are the most destructive, murderous and callous creatures on the planet. I don’t think this news will change anything.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AllisVibration

That depends on the definition of sentience and the criteria used to determine it.

But i would not expect a definitive answer anytime soon.

Considering the biological, philosophical, ethical, and spiritual implications.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I consider sentience to be the same as consciousness, as science can’t explain what that is we might be waiting a long time. To me it’s obvious though, as long as we don’t confuse these terms with intelligence, which is what most people seem to do.

Considering the biological, philosophical, ethical, and spiritual implications

Considering these things we are in no position to look down on any other life as lesser than us. Quite the contrary.

I think the native Indians had it right with their respect and reverence for all life, and their gratitude for what sustained them.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

"Yes, it is a way...." Slowly, through various paths in reasonable thinking, humans are understanding that every thing that lives--and maybe even rocks, thus, everything in existence, has been uniquely caused to capture some essence of what we call consciousness.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 10:14 AM
link   
All life is food on Planet Earth. It doesn't matter if the life is sentient, it will be eaten at one time or another, by one life form or another, regardless of sentience.

That's the way it works on Planet Earth. Sentient life eats sentient life or life doesn't persist. It isn't about morality, but some animals have more empathy for life than others. For example, you see elephants going out their way to rescue other animals in trouble. Same with Dolphins.

Most life forms on Earth don't kill something they're not going to eat. There are exception, like mating aggression and other life-threatening behavior that triggers survival mechanisms. And, you see kittens, for example, that kill for play and practice, and humans that hunt for the thrill. Humans are territorial animals, and will also kill invaders, whether they be human, plants, animal, fish or insect.

The thing is, whoever, whatever created Planet Earth's "Circle of Life" knew that sentient life would need to kill sentient life in order for life to persist. Those are just the rules on Planet Earth. It might be different somewhere else, but here at home, it doesn't matter if insects are sentient or not, they're getting killed for invading human territory, just the same. They should know better!

edit on 3920242024k16America/Chicago2024-04-22T10:16:39-05:0010am2024-04-22T10:16:39-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naftalin

Everyone just wait until it becomes mainstream that plants also have a kind of consciousness and are not just biological machines. That's what they said about animals too. And then what do we do then? Are we eating ourselves? What will the vegans do?

And why is there actually straw here?

Sorry they already found that plants Feel pain.
trees near a tree on fire will feel fear!
and a lot more. look it up.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scratchpost

Well .. actually it's up to you to provide backup to your claims,
it's not up to us to go chasing your claims down on google.
Sorry.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Scratchpost
You don't have to be sorry about that. I know that.

I said something like "wait until it becomes known that plants are not just biological machines, that's what they said about animals too." So it becomes known to the rest of the world's population, who don't educate themselves on their own, but wait until they are told about it on TV.

That's what it meant

Plants also develop strategies and warn each other in different ways. Share resources, remember who they came from and help each other using the mycelium in the soil. A lot more. I can recommend good books, but they are all in German.
edit on 22.4.2024 by Naftalin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Those cute little jumping spiders. They would jump on my leg and I’d play with them, with those funny 8 eyes they have. Put my finger behind them and they’d turn around and watch. Sometimes follow.

posted on Apr, 23 2024 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Scratchpost

Well .. actually it's up to you to provide backup to your claims,
it's not up to us to go chasing your claims down on google.
Sorry.

Your just lazy!
www.keepersofthewaters.org...
Study Says Trees Have Feelings
According to scientific evidence, trees are way more intelligent than we have ever imagined.
Some of the findings of the tree-whisperer Peter Wohlleben are the following:

Peter is a German researcher who not only enjoys being surrounded by trees, but he has also devoted his life to studying them. He is also a fosterer, author and tree expert and he has created the documentary titled Intelligent Trees, along with Suzanne Simard, who is an ecologist from the University of British Columbia.

www.bbcearth.com...
Plants Have Feelings Too
Plants can sense a lot about their environment and it can cause them stress. Unlike most humans and animals though, when plants face predation, damage, or environmental changes they can’t run away and hide.

Trees breath in carbon dioxide and out oxygen.
trees came before humans.
did trees make humans and animals so they would not suffocate?
"I bet that will send you on a rant"
Or Burn as to much O2 and lightning make a lot of fire.
witch make more carbon dioxide for plants.

posted on Apr, 23 2024 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Naftalin

Everyone just wait until it becomes mainstream that plants also have a kind of consciousness and are not just biological machines. That's what they said about animals too. And then what do we do then? Are we eating ourselves? What will the vegans do?

And why is there actually straw here?

All this has already been proven. Including plants wanting to live. I'm going to continue to be vegan as plants don't have pain receptors. Eating plants is the same as your immune system killing a virus. Viruses/bacteria are alive but lack the capabilities of pain.

posted on Apr, 23 2024 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: GotterDameron23
Don't listen to this crap.

Next they are going to tell us that vegetables have a soul.

I don't care.

I grew up next to a farm. If I was going to go vegan, it would have been a long time ago.

My ancestors didn't climb to the top of the food chain for me to not get the best cut of meat I can get.

Mmmm. Good juicy animal. Yum!

You would think someone on a conspiracy website would question why animal agriculture companies have to pay the government to get a slot on the food pyramid 😂😂😂

Sorry for double post!

posted on Apr, 23 2024 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: budzprime69
I only kill living creatures, to sustain myself, to defend myself, or by accident.
Every quiet corner of my home has resident spiders, some of whom interact with me lol, and I have zero flies in my home in the summer.
I LOVE my house spiders, they get their meals, I get a fly free environment, and they are clever enough to know the areas I've devolved to them for hunting rights...spiders are sentient, definitely in my opinion!

posted on Apr, 23 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: seekshelter
Good morning, if you could have scrolled a little more then this comment would not have been written.

This is great for you! No doubt!

I will continue to hunt my meat and eat it too. And have certainly always been more grateful for it than most vegans ever were while they weren't yet vegan. Grew up that way and have always thanked the forest with a traditional laying out of the hunted animal on branches, as hunters do here. This is how it looks:

Do you do the same with your plants or do you take them for granted because they don't feel pain and you can do whatever you want?

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Film footage of a diver communicating back and forth with an octopus -

Newsweek Click Here

posted on Apr, 30 2024 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

As if knowing that everything was sentient would stop us from doing what we do?

I don't think it would chance the human condition much put it that way.

<< 1  2   >>

join