It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense Gun Legislation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: quintessentone

You, and others, seem to keep ignoring the part of the article stating that they are required to take a mandated training course before being allowed to carry said firearm in school.

Also, if you were to look into the link I provided for Sookie, you would see that all of that can be handled by USCCA, and is covered by your insurance through them.

There is no way a teacher can train mentally and strategically against a shooter with an AR-15 and whatever other firearms they bring to the school. Isn't it like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:17 AM
link   

a reply to: 5thHead

Also, I am not one saying you have to take refresher courses, I have said a yearly qualification would be a good idea.

Well, I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the guy that said you need a "refresher course every 3 to 4 months"

Sheesh, and you call me ignorant.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:28 AM
link   

It's not hard to figure that one out, there is only one way in and out of a classroom, you focus on that one point and anything comes in that is not friendly gets put down.

Again, training training training.

those that are too lazy to train will be the ones making the same comments you are....

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 5thHead

And yet you continued to go on your bs of "if you need a refresher..."

If you think firearms are as easy as point and shoot, you are ignorant. Your last name must be Biden with such phenomenal ideas as that.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It's not hard to figure that one out, there is only one way in and out of a classroom, you focus on that one point and anything comes in that is not friendly gets put down.

those that are too lazy to train will be the ones making the same comments you are....

The only training mentioned on this thread is shooting accuracy, nothing about any other type of training. Teachers are not trained as police, SWAT nor soldiers and IMO that is the training they will need.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

You, and others, seem to keep ignoring the part of the article stating that they are required to take a mandated training course before being allowed to carry said firearm in school.

Also, if you were to look into the link I provided for Sookie, you would see that all of that can be handled by USCCA, and is covered by your insurance through them.

There is no way a teacher can train mentally and strategically against a shooter with an AR-15 and whatever other firearms they bring to the school. Isn't it like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

If a teacher being armed can stop or even slow down a school shooter then mission accomplished.
It’s bringing a gun to a gunfight.
Common sense.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Then are you saying that any ccw holder needs to be training as police, swat, military, etc?

As I stated previously, most ccw holders I know train more often than most police departments I know around my area. Whether that is live fire at the range, dry fire training in their home, drawing from concealment, cover and concealment, etc.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

If a teacher being armed can stop or even slow down a school shooter then mission accomplished.
It’s bringing a gun to a gunfight.
Common sense.

The shooter will mostly likely have a bulletproof vest on and how many bullets will the teacher have to get the job done while trying to dodge the AR-15 bullets?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Common sense.

You can't say that around here, you might offend those without it

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: PorkChop96

The teachers can get USCCA and be covered for anything to do with having to use a firearm in a defensive situation.

It should be on the school district's dime.

a reply to: network dude

But in that situation, what should transpire?

Should the teachers be trained to shoot to kill?

Just so folks know the very real situation that I'm referring to:
Shooting of Virginia teacher by 6-year-old was an ‘avoidable event,’ special grand jury report says
hindsight is 20/20

Would firing a warning shoot even be safe in situation like that?

I understand those who don't shoot don't grasp this, but if you ever pull your weapon and point it at something, you had better be willing to kill that which you point the muzzle at. It's what guns are for, and why it's such a large responsibility to both know the risks, and be able to follow through with the actions without second guessing if that child will keep shooting other children.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Common sense.

I am imagining a lone teacher without a bulletproof vest/no physical protection/no police/combat training with a linited repeating handgun facing an AR-15 bulletproofed vested shooter with nothing to lose, what do you envision?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   

This is inherently false, most shooters do not wear body armor.

In 2021 and 2022, only 3% of shooters wore body armor.

Also the fact that statistics will show that most shootings(>50%) are done with handguns, not rifles.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:51 AM
link   

See my below response

You are envisioning worst case scenario to try and make your point, that is not reality.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:51 AM
link   

This is inherently false, most shooters do not wear body armor.

In 2021 and 2022, only 3% of shooters wore body armor.

Also the fact that statistics will show that most shootings(>50%) are done with handguns, not rifles.

The fact is one will never know what the teacher will have to deal with at the time. How does a teacher not military/police trained handle any and all scenarios without training?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5thHead
a reply to: PorkChop96

If you can't figure out how they work and need a refresher course every few months then I hope you don't have one.

the training is for muscle memory and mental clarity. When and if you are put into a kill or be killed situation, and you are armed, you have the obligation to know and fully understand what must happen and it will all take place in a split second.

If you are a CCW, and you don't train at the very least, shooting at the range every now and then, you really shouldn't carry a weapon. You will hurt someone long before you stop an attack.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Again, you are envisioning worst case scenario to try and make your point, that is not reality.

How does one know you are not going to be faced with a head on collision while driving down the interstate to work any given day?

Again, you are ignoring the links I have provided to the courses you can take to better equip yourself to deal with these scenarios.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Again, you are envisioning worst case scenario to try and make your point, that is not reality.

How does one know you are not going to be faced with a head on collision while driving down the interstate to work any given day?

Again, you are ignoring the links I have provided to the courses you can take to better equip yourself to deal with these scenarios.

Any shooting is a worse case scenario and strategizing in any or all worse case scenarios is not being taught to teachers.

Without that bulletproof wall to protect children and other staff members, a shooter can easily gain control by using children as human shields, then what does this teacher do?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The only training mentioned on this thread is shooting accuracy, nothing about any other type of training. Teachers are not trained as police, SWAT nor soldiers and IMO that is the training they will need.

as of this moment, we don't have teachers armed with CCW. It's an idea, and one that will require some thought and planning. I think for any teacher to be able to carry, they first need to A. want to do it, B. understand the big picture of what might be required, and C. become proficient with their weapon to the point of proving it to an instructor on a regular basis. Without proper training, it would be adding fuel to a fire.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

as of this moment, we don't have teachers armed with CCW. It's an idea, and one that will require some thought and planning. I think for any teacher to be able to carry, they first need to A. want to do it, B. understand the big picture of what might be required, and C. become proficient with their weapon to the point of proving it to an instructor on a regular basis. Without proper training, it would be adding fuel to a fire.

I agree but first install those bulletproof corner walls in every school to protect the children/staff, then have at it any way one feels they are able - their choice.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Common sense.

I am imagining a lone teacher without a bulletproof vest/no physical protection/no police/combat training with a linited repeating handgun facing an AR-15 bulletproofed vested shooter with nothing to lose, what do you envision?

a teacher with a CCW hearing the shots coming from a room down the hall and approaching that room with weapon drawn, and the will and intent to shoot the person with the firearm. It's a better option than cowering in the corner waiting for the Uvalde Police Department to wait for the real cops to come save you. (since we are using worst case scenarios for this talk)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join