It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar Vortex Spins Retrograde

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 04:39 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Atmospheric scientists were surprised earlier this month to notice that the Arctic's polar vortex reversed its trajectory as it began spinning in the opposite direction. What's more: It has yet to stop.

The change occurred around March 4 and is among the six strongest such events since 1979, Amy Butler, a climate scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), told Spaceweather.com.

The rotating mass of cold air that circles in the Arctic stratosphere is infamous for triggering extreme cold and storms in various regions, but fortunately that has not happened in this case, according to Butler, the author of NOAA's new polar vortex blog. Instead, what Butler calls "Sudden Stratospheric Warming events" led to an increase of polar ozone from lower latitudes surrounding the Arctic, causing the swirling reversal.

I would think this could lead to weather disasters but thankfully such is not the case.

seems like any change in wind or water flow is bad news

anyone with more understanding of the subject?

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Coelacanth55

Well I searched because this sounds like a movie I just watched hehe. Terrible disaster movie called 500 mph storm. I wanted to know what a sudden stratospheric warming event was and it appears they happen somewhat frequently. According to Wikipedia.

A sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) is an event in which polar stratospheric temperatures rise by several tens of kelvins (up to increases of about 50 °C (90 °F)) over the course of a few days. The warming is preceded by a slowing then reversal of the westerly winds in the stratospheric polar vortex. SSWs occur about six times per decade in the northern hemisphere, and about once every 20-30 years in the southern hemisphere. Only two southern SSWs have been observed.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

So to answer your question, no I have no more understanding of the subject than you but I do think it would be interesting to try and correlate these stratospheric warming events to mega storms, if this does lead to big storms. Like what was going on up there during Katrina or various other major storms.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 08:00 AM
link   

It sounds like most don't understand why yet.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the poles moving...

S&F great post.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

It sounds like most don't understand why yet.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the poles moving...

S&F great post.

Everything to do with the poles and the magnetic patterns going wonky. Even the magma under the crust is affected as it has magnetic properties that would be influenced by a shift of the magnetic field.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The earth's core was spinning a little less than the spin of the planet a little while back, slowing down to approx. the speed the surface spins. If it is spinning slower than the spin of the earth for a while, it could possibly make these kind of rotations of the polar vortex more frequent. They are trying to blame it all on CO2, which is not science at all. It could be a combination of both. If it is a combination, it means as the core slows more...which means it is rotating backwards sort of, even maintaining present CO2 levels will not help, neither will slightly reducing them.

That is my evaluation based on reading many articles about the change in core rotation. I am just trying to give a logical guess which seems to match some other professionals in the field that study this change. It was mentioned in those articles maybe three years ago that the polar winds might change, sounds like those predictions by some experts are coming true. Of course the pushers of climate change are not even considering this. It is true that we must be better environmentally friendly, but environmentally friendly is definitely related to alterations in chemistry of the world, which polution from chemicals is a big part. The microbes can help nature to fix things, but the unnatural or unnaturally concentrated chemicals we are dumping into the environment play a big part in destroying the ability of the earth to fix the problem.

Science created this mess, and I have doubts if science is going to stop messing it up, they blame it on us, yet science created the chemicals, the autos, and all the technology that needs high amounts of electricity...but it is our fault they say.

top topics

join