It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I a bad parent or preparing my kids to be well adjusted, non woke kids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I love sharing music with 11 year old kids! I share with my kids, Artists such as the beetles, their solo work, collaborations like the travelling Wilbur us, Johnny cash pink Floyd, def leopard, poison, depech mode, bob Dylan, inxs, booker t and the Meg’s, Dionne Warwick, Burt Bacharach, Rolling Stones. and heaps of other artists from all different genres.

My kids love Elvis, we often watch “aloha from Hawaii” I point out the band and how elvis recognised talent, no matter what, I tell my kids to look at the members.

My kids have taught me many great artists, my daughter loves studio ghibly. I discovered Joe Hishahi. Amazing composer, plus the films are awesome.

I let my children watch anything they want, within reason. I do tell them when we do watch earlier films that the movie was made in a different time where attitudes on race, sexism etc were different. Though I ask them to see the movie in their own eyes.

I have watched 2001 a space odyssey with them, they liked it, though were left a bit confused. I’ll watch it again in a few years.

They did like blade runner, and were saddened when Roy Batty passed away.

We all loved Sonic the hedgehog movies, so fun.

Though I was talking to a colleague who was a bit younger, and told them a while ago I took the kids to see Renfield, they were in shock. The said how can you take your kids to see a horror, adult film. I said, my kids need to learn about film, and Renfield had done amazing shot to shot of past classic Dracula moves! They did not know what to say.

The kids are getting into science fiction, they loved “close encounters of the 3rd kind”

Though I keep asking them to watch poltergeist the Spielberg one with me though the don’t want to “too scary.

We have watched early doctor who, and when Jody Whitaker took over, my other daughter said, who are they pandering to? I said they wanted to try something new.

Question is, am I a bad parent by not sheltering my chikdren to these bad influences and woke crap, and modern parenting.

Or am I doing the right thing by letting them enjoy all they can?

I am so jealous of my daughter as she can do the Vulcan salute.

edit on 15-1-2024 by Cavemannick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 03:42 AM
link   
My children cpuld watch pretty much what they wanted within developmentally appropriate parameters. I wanted my kids to see it all. They've seen everything from Snow White to the rock opera Tommy by The Who. They've seen Les Miserables. They've had the opportunity to see several scary movies. Though they weren't too much into those. My son really likes science fiction so I have allowed him to watch that. We Were really enjoying the old Batman TV show. For a while we were watching He-Man She-Ra My Little Pony and Gem.. all those cartoons from when I was a kid. My children watch the Nightly News in 60 minutes with their father. I believe that having well-rounded children is very important. We did watch a lot more other things but that's a brief list. When they became teenagers it was a little different. The best thing is that I got to learn about gaming. I'm still not very good at it. They got to learn how to use an actual bow and arrow at the archery range.

I have always allowed them to express themselves freely. Everything should be within moderation. Like I said before developmentally appropriate. After that it's up to you. My cousin allowed her daughter to watch Child's Play the movie when she was 2 years old before bed every night. My mom my friend and I were watching it with her and she's sitting there calm as can be. And Chucky comes jumping out from under a bed and my friend went flying out of the recliner chair and my mom was watching between her fingers hiding her eyes. I wasn't even watching the movie because I was too busy laughing at them. And my cousin was just w watching it like nothing happened.

I don't think you're doing a bad thing as long as you're willing to have uncomfortable conversations if they arise. Such as the one time we were watching a scary movie and a guy in the movie was running out of a building and down the stairs with nothing on. Now that took some explaining on my mom's part.

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cavemannick
Or am I doing the right thing by letting them enjoy all they can?

If your objective is to keep them entertained, which judging solely from your post does seem to be your priority, then sure.

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 04:16 AM
link   

edit on 1/15/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Cavemannick

Why are you not convinced about your own actions and need to ask strangers on the internet if you are "doing good?"

There is nothing wrong with bringing your kids up anyway you deem proper.
If you could be swayed at any moment to stop what you are doing because someone tells you, you are not strong enough in your convictions.

Something that will really mess your kids up. Forget about movies, they aren't the problem here.

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 07:41 AM
link   

edit on 1/15/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 08:05 AM
link   

People keep slinging the word "woke" around as a bad thing.

What do you think woke means?

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I'm in the same boat with you there, and share a lot of music and older movie experiences with my kids (although my music taste is a little bit newer, I still get the occasional looks of disbelief as we're rocking out to the Deftones, Tool, Alice in Chains, Depeche, Marilyn Manson, etc.)

Nothing wrong with any of it... Although younger people nowadays are easily offended and see parental guidance suggestions as Holy Law.

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Along the lines of @Hecate666--

You should watch with your kids anything you think can be of value.

Just be there to add the 'experience factor' and explain why some films emphasize certain aspects, and be sure to point out the 'bigger picture' in life so that your kids understand there are more factors in action than what a given film or other entertainment production may focus on.

The 'non woke kids' notion is, IMO, worthy of some consideration on your part.

Look: I'm not 'woke' in any way. But, realistically, your kids will be confronted with the beliefs of the woke crowd for their entire childhood, if not longer. Perhaps some in depth discussions with your kids about 'woke' and its political payload, could be a useful infusion of knowledge for them.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Celebrate the pervert.Thats what a lot of it means.

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Spend as much time with your kids doing anything you can. Treasure your time with them because it's just a matter of time until the peer group/friends take over their attention.

Let them watch the "Exorcist" that should "woke" them up.

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

That's a nonsensical answer that doesn't address the meaning of the term.

How are you going to actually hate something if you don't know the meaning of the term? You might as well be some of the people on the left screaming Orange Man Bad. Without knowing some of the bad things he's actually done.

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 05:01 PM
link   

When I was growing up, it was all John Wayne and westerns. 100%. The only movie I remember watching that wasn't an old western movie was the grapes of wrath. My dad liked the really old black and white ones, my favorite guilty pleasure movie was Cat Ballou. I must have watched that film a million times growing up. So my opinion is, expose kids to everything (within reason) and let them make up their own mind. That's how they form their own personalities.
edit on 15-1-2024 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Are you going to Provide an Answer ?

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

It supposedly means alert to social issues such as discrimination racism, sexism.

Although people should be given the opportunity to see both sides particularly students.

My kids say that’s inappropriate, if I say a joke or make a comment.

I ask them why, they said cause the teacher says so.

I explain to them that you have to have a thick skin, as there will be people who will criticise you slur you.

I don’t want my kids thinking that the world should conform to them as it will not, no matter how much the woke movement wants everyone on the same page, it will not happen.

I think that the movement has been hi jacked to force other agendas, such as political correctness, dictating what movies and book are deemed offensive, sanitising these things.

Look now bond movies now have warnings at the start of the movie.

If people just realised they were a product of their time.

Accept and move on dint sanitise, change just to suit a movement.

edit on 15-1-2024 by Cavemannick because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2024 by Cavemannick because: I think

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Nope you sound like a great parent to me Cavernannick and are giving the kids a good well rounded education and life .

I was raised by uber strict grandparents television was a rare thing and all the music was gospel / religious stuff , Jim Reeves and the old rugged cross and Sidney devine come to mind .

It is the schools and government who need to be watched , I warned a very good friend of mine with a 7 year old autistic kid about the new law proposal being made in Scotland where a parent can be jailed for 7 years for refusing to accept if the teachers talk a child into being another gender

humanevents.com...

He has a older Autistic girl who they tried that stuff with a few years ago when she was in school .

I told him to have the 3 gender talk with the kid ,Male ,Female and Fing pervert is all there is .

So no give yourself a big clap on the back for being a good dad

posted on Jan, 15 2024 @ 08:00 PM
link   

You're the parent, it's your call

My Dad's favorite saying was "You're bored? Go read a book. Pretty sure he forgot we had Stranger in a Strange Land, Catcher in the Rye, the Foundation series, plus some very unsuitable (for kids)classics. Whoops!
TV was whatever the adults wanted to watch.
Fortunately my Mom was enthralled with Monty Python. For kids under 12 completely inappropriate & we loved it!!!
Hitchcock's The Birds scared my brother silly an to this day in his 60's throw something dark at him & he freaks out. Priceless!!! Screw the stereotypes!! Any John Wayne- Maureen O'Hara movie was GREAT!!

As far as "woke". In the suburbs it makes no sense at all unless you're talking not using round-up, buying products with less packaging or organic non GMO crap. In our day it was the Clean Water Act, picking up trash on hiking trails, walking to the store & not driving cause of Gas Restrictions.

Now the new Woke-Snowflakes are exactly the same as Candy-@@z's, the P-word,an a few more descriptors. Life isn't for the squeamish, Terminal uniqueness? Nobody cares but you. Really. I taught my kids to adapt as often as possible cause not being fixated on one outcome means less drama. Life is like a literal roadmap, if one way's blocked go around, under, overcast make it happen an laugh about the mistakes.
But I'm seriously old fashioned. YMMV

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 06:03 AM
link   

edit on 1/16/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:36 AM
link   

No. I'm not the one complaining about it.

I want to know if people actually know what it means. Or just hating the term because they were told to hate it.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 08:00 AM
link   

No. I'm not the one complaining about it.

I want to know if people actually know what it means. Or just hating the term because they were told to hate it.

Unequivocally the latter. Pure jingoism.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join