It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recall on cut Cantaloupe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Yet another recall, this time cut cantaloupe.

At least eight people are now dead − three in the United States and five in Canada − and hundreds have fallen ill following a cantaloupe recall tied to a salmonella outbreak, health officials in both countries reported Thursday.

Many years ago I was getting my hair done. The lady next to me was a Food inspector for the government. I asked her, please tell me what I should avoid. She straight up without hesitation told me never ever ever ever get cut fruit or vegetables. I’ve heeded her warning!
I worry because a lot of times the people that get those kinds of foods are the elderly and they are probably the most susceptible to the illnesses with them.

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.usatoday.com...

At least eight people are now dead − three in the United States and five in Canada − and hundreds have fallen ill following a cantaloupe recall tied to a salmonella outbreak, health officials in both countries reported Thursday.

Many years ago I was getting my hair done. The lady next to me was a Food inspector for the government. I asked her, please tell me what I should avoid. She straight up without hesitation told me never ever ever ever get cut fruit or vegetables. I’ve heeded her warning!
I worry because a lot of times the people that get those kinds of foods are the elderly and they are probably the most susceptible to the illnesses with them.

My first job, at least first legal job where I did paperwork and actually got paid, was in a grocery store. A large west coast chain. I just turned 18 and got hired the next day.

Started with "Will that be paper or plastic ma'am"?

"Oh, paper IN plastic, please!"

Then I graduated to produce, and I cut watermelons and fruit and all the other stuff people loved.

I never buy cut fruit. Ever.

You never know who is using gloves or not, if they're sneezing or whatever. Produce and fruit should be cut when used.

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 10:08 PM
link   
We never buy cut fruit and we do not usually eat from the fruit or vegetable trays that are prepared in the deli in stores. All my kids know that you need to have a clean kitchen when preparing homemade fruit trays. But I do know sometimes they do not do as good a job as the wife and I do. It was hard initially to get them to believe that you need to make the fruit and veggie trays yourself, but once they paid attention to the better taste of a fresh cut at home tray, they now do a lot more of homemade cut stuff.

So, taste is what I used to promote them to take the extra time to make them at home.

If there is a lot of bacteria and fungi in the area where cantalope, muskmellon, and honeydoo grow, the plant defense system chemistry in those fruits are high and they can trigger histamine reactions in some people. It would be something like a ragweed or other species reaction. It is hard to determine if someone will negatively react to that if you don't have the allergy. I have a mild reaction to that, and that helps to determine if I should give it to my grandkids that have more of the reaction just by tasting the fruit when making it. That plant defense chemistry actually kills some of the microbes that hurt the fruit's ability to be viable seed. So what is good for the survival of the species of those melons can effect us badly.

Cut fruit can be processed in an area that also has bacteria, which if the fruit sits for a day or more can multiply. The fruit with the strong plant defense chemistry might actually kill the bacteria, so it can protect us as well if it doesn't cause our death by having too much of that chemistry.

More people probably die from a reaction to some of those melons than from bacteria on the melons. So, I cannot say which way is better or worse, only that in the times that the ragweed pollen chemistry is out there, eating those melons is not a good idea for some people who are sensitive to ragweed.

Once I learned this, I adjusted my consumption of those specific melons to times when there was no ragweed pollen around and I feel better even though ragweed by itself only gives me moderate symptoms...but the combination of mellons with the ragweed makes it much worse. This is something you guys should pass on to others, it may help some people with reactions to be able to have less reactions...which can make their lives better. I suppose those with severe reactions to rag weed won't benefit, but some with sporatic bad events might benefit from this knowledge. Also, certain green peppers raw have some similar chemistry to ragweed. Remember this when making your holiday meals if people who are intollerant to ragweed are around. Most people with the ragweed allergy that are older...don't care for green pepper...certain green peppers burn my throat like pepper...I tried to identify if it is the four lobe or three lobe, but I don't see the green peppers the wife uses. But they are all right in cooked dishes and on pizzas for me, but my granddaughter that died, she had bad reactions even cooked. If a kid says a green pepper burns their mouth like pepper....pay attention.

I have tested this on myself

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 10:22 PM
link   

... She straight up without hesitation told me never ever ever ever get cut fruit or vegetables. ...

That's always semmed like a given to me. I never made sense to me to pay extra for pre-cut anything; for one, because it's gnerally just so damn lazy, but mainly because I have never liked the idea of anything going into my mouth being handled more or by anyone other than what was absolutely necessary and unavoidable.

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Add sundried tomatoes to the list. Tomato Recall as Dire Warning Issued If Products Eaten

It seems to me like we are having more food recalls than in the past. I could be wrong because I only half pay attention to it.

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 12:44 AM
link   

www.usatoday.com...

A good advise I would say.
I never get myself any cut fruits or vegetables.

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
a reply to: JAGStorm

Add sundried tomatoes to the list. Tomato Recall as Dire Warning Issued If Products Eaten

It seems to me like we are having more food recalls than in the past. I could be wrong because I only half pay attention to it.

Correct

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Egg products can also carry salmonella

Chickens and other live poultry can carry Salmonella bacteria. These germs can spread from the birds to their eggs. If you eat raw or undercooked eggs, you can get sick

From the CDC website

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

More people probably die from a reaction to some of those melons than from bacteria on the melons. So, I cannot say which way is better or worse, only that in the times that the ragweed pollen chemistry is out there, eating those melons is not a good idea for some people who are sensitive to ragweed.

Not well known. The elders had a lot of food knowledge but it’s been lost.

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 01:06 AM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

Not well known. The elders had a lot of food knowledge but it’s been lost.

Very true

new topics

top topics

join