It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Spun HS2023

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 05:40 AM
link   
"That's not a Sod house,you lied to me! “, Peggy punched Carl playfully on the arm as they pulled up to his house and came to a stop off the shoulder of the street.

" Well", came the reply, "it's still my dugout. And welcome to my humble abode, friend."

Peggy caught his eyes. There was a gentleness to it which was what attracted her to him in the first place. At times she also caught a glimmer of sadness, but she herself knew the death of a spouse lingered evermore.

They met barely a week ago in the supermarket and instantly felt a connection. Mobile numbers were exchanged and so began 5 days of long night conversations and dare she say it, a whirlwind romance, albeit a cautious one.

They laughed. She cried. His own relatable experience brought her back from the darkness.

For a moment she forgot what loneliness felt like.

Among their shared interests was baking. Carl promised to show her how to make cow pies, half of which would be hers to take home and was in fact a form of pound cake he discovered while stationed overseas.

They both looked up and through the windshield at the dark clouds covering the great expanse.

"We better step to it if I'm to get you back home safe in time", Carl remarked.

The street was quiet as he opened his door, got out and planted his left foot firmly into a cow pie.

"What in tarnation?" he said.

Peggy quickly jumped out and came 'round to his side of the car.

"You said tar-nation! " she managed between fits of giggles.

"Stay off the streets kid, it's a #ty place."

They grabbed the groceries and Carl stopped on the front lawn to erase the memory.

"How old is this house? It's beautiful." Peggy stared at the wood-frame house with its welcoming patio.

"All I can tell you is that the sod house museum called and made me an offer to relocate their premises."

The wind suddenly picked up the tempo and a lightning bolt cracked through the air not 2 miles away.

"Let's get inside, shall we? “ Carl said as he offered the front door to her.

Inside was nice. The warmth of the fireplace in the living room instantly beckoned to them where the triplets sat on the carpet engaged in some racing game on the Nintendo.

" James. Becky. Adam. Line up!"

The 9 year olds rushed to see the new "friend" they were told was coming for a brief visit.

"C'mon dad. You're not in the army anymore.", sassed Becky.

"Yeah dad, chill out.", said James.

Adam came last, cautious but with an optimistic twinkle in his eye.

"Peggy, meet the military police around these parts. They run a tight ship."

The kids were never far during his conversations with Peggy, and he knew they eavesdropped on more than one occasion.

There was an air of expectation and everybody felt it.

"You guys beat my lap time yet?" It was all Carl could think of to break the spell.

"Came close" Becky said, "But Toto was trying to sit on my lap!"

The enormous Pit-bull was already behind Peggy inspecting the new visitor. His tail was wagging.

"He likes you", Adam said and instantly blushed.

"But not so much as he likes steak, so you're safe.", James remarked.

That brought about some giggles all round and Carl caught himself softly sighing with relief.

"There's a big storm coming, you guys make sure all the windows are closed while I show Peggy how to bake my world famous mud pies."

"Yay! I want two! I'm hungry dad!"

"I want three, but I'm willing to share with Toto."

"And I'll go show them how to beat your record."

The kids rushed off and Carl motioned Peggy to the kitchen.

"Now we bake."

--------------------------------------------

The old wireless radio was cranking out an old Steve Miller Band Tune and the house began to fill with the aroma of baked goodies.

"We interrupt your regular programming to give you this Hurricane Warning brought to you by the National Weather Service..."

"We better finish up here, Peggy. I'm sorry to cut your visit short but it sounds serious.. I do have a spare room in this fraidy hole but I recall you mentioned pets the other day?" he seemed reluctant to let her go.

Was it even possible to connect to another so effortlessly? He erred on the side of caution.

The pressured dropped into freefall over the small lake behind the house and the rapid uplift of vapor from the water's surface would seem paranormal to anyone but a meteorologist.

Toto came whimpering into the kitchen, looking uncertain and afraid.

Towering cumulonimbus clouds started to rotate directly above the house and the pressure inside felt overwhelming.

"Carl! What's happening?!?", shouted Peggy.

"We're not in Kansas anymore."

No one laughed.

This time the humor was over the top.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

That was great! I hope they made it to the basement!

S+F and worth more...

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I agree with midicon! 100% good job and S/F!

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Post your story here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Gracias!

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Welcome back, 19Bones79! Your story was worth the wait.

I haven't heard the term "What in tarnation?" for over thirty years! I need to add it back into my vocabulary.

I particularly like the Wizard of Oz reference.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Much appreciated, Encia22.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   

That's one way to go to Mexico; without a '53 Studebaker.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FullHeathen

Yeah!

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I read this last night, and while I loved the scene, your literal use of the "homespun" theme sailed over my head until I revisited it today. Now it get it! Cheeky indeed. S+F

top topics

join