It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Setup For Flying in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2023 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ahoy nerds!

Whats the best set up for being a super nerd in space sim games?

I want to buy something nice when Star Citizen comes out, I guess for now I can practice in Elite: Dangerous.

So anyone out there heavily into flying sims that could make some recommendations and as to why.

posted on Nov, 21 2023 @ 09:05 PM
link   
www.amazon.com...

Logitech G X56 H.O.T.A.S Throttle and Joystick Flight Simulator

my fav so far

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You say nerd, yet you ask for fighter pilot?

Modern spacecraft have no throttle and joystick. You use the programming of the autopilot to point the ship and fire the engines for an exact time duration. Oh, they might use Gameboy controllers for docking but not 'flying'.

The most realistic controls is a tablet.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Putting even more technology under your control is not conducive to the human race as a whole.

Yet.....

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

What are all those knobs, petals, window displays, switches, etc.. used for?

Show me in this video.

You seem to want to fly but things in space only work by the laws so gravity and not control surfaces.

Turn the ship, fire the engine for a short time, check the numbers. Repeat until the desired flight is acheaved.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   

In Elite: Dangerous, I'd say VR all day long. It makes a massive difference and then go for the best HOTAS system you can afford.
I hated Star Ctizen and got a refund but again a HOTAS system.

This always tend to stand out from the rest......

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I got the Warthog HOTAS which is lovely but after buying apparently the Virpil set is the one to get. I suppose depends on how much money you have to burn. I've also got the Valve Index. It puts you right in the seat, so my entire set up is build around this. Logitech pedals, a bit cheap and plasticky but they work. I'm not about to afford a set of steel/aluminium ones. Its for gaming, not training.

I cobbled together a 'pit' with offcuts of wood. My carpenter mate took the mick because it's 'my home made'. Not very pretty, but has a deck chair and all the controls to hand. Works great. Fighter pilot seats aren't armchairs.

As for software....

Voice Attack - almost essential as it allows you to talk to the computer and have it press buttons for you. Incredibly helpful when you're working on your 'scuba face' look.

Elite Dangerous was the first WOW factor game i played.

IL-2 is a fun WW2 sim, not too complicated.

DCS more technical, almost like a proper simulator.

MS flight sim - You can fly about in live weather around the world. Great fun when there is a tornado.

Aircar - a freebie that had a noticable physical effect on me. The first time i took the car out of the garage, my stomach went - just like suffering from vertigo.

War Thunder - a fun freebie massively on line playing thing.

Star Wars Squadrons - very much an arcade game. But i havent spend too much time on that.

I've got plenty of others but hardly have the time to play. I like to get plugged on for a good few hours rather than an hour here or there. These are the ones i put more time in to.

edit on 22-11-2023 by McUrnsalso because: grammer, spelling. etc

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Nice!

I'm playing X4 foundations atm.

a reply to: McUrnsalso

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I used Hotas X for Elite dangerous and flight simulator , for Elite dangerous you can also download a keybindings file so you do not have to go through that process yourself , comes with pictures like this :

edit on 22-11-2023 by Greazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 10:40 PM
link   
We're dog fighting not being lolcows in low earth orbit.

a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I ended up going with the Logitech G X56 H.O.T.A.S, it arrives tomorrow

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 07:50 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   

How's your set up going? What game has been your favorite since you got your new toy?

posted on Nov, 27 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

So far so good but I am going to order the mounts, so basically the set up is multiplying.

I like X4 and Everspace 2

x4 feels more simulation while everspace is a space shooter looter.

I want Star Citizen to be complete I want vast mmo universe to play around in.

Basically I want to play EVE online but as a first person universe.

top topics

join