It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened, what we know, what we don't know

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ObsBartim37

When a member is banned, everything stays, but their profile beside the post disappears. That’s how you know they were banned.

I’d have to find the section of the T&Cs later on if you want.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

Thats fine, but if he has access to the backend like that, he isn't a mod or a hacker, most likely.

A sysadmin that isn't doing a rollback for whatever reasons.

Not sure how modernized ATS is on the backend. There is someone that has super powers already doing something, at least for Djarums and DTOM.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreCoyoteAngels

And yet, you’ve repeatedly told me, as someone actually involved in the process, that I’m wrong about bannings.

Your IT experience is absolutely irrelevant to this discussion.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Why delete accounts at all? Its simple to just change user permissions.

Which is probably what happens with a ban. The account still exists. But isn't functional. Of course because all the broken links in the database and all.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Well, how about experience on ATS as a user? Is that fair game experience?

I know the difference.

Ive had two discussions going on this thread. One is technical speculation, the other is human factors speculation.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   

That’s what I said. We don’t delete accounts. Period.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   

That checks out from the IT perspective. I agreed that it's most likely the case.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 04:14 PM
link   

See, here’s the problem with that experience. Let’s say that you are having a bad day. You get a bunch of posts removed, and get post banned to cool off. Only instead of cooling off, you start sending in nasty complaints and messages to the staff, ultimately resulting in being banned.

Afterwards you stumble on a site, or a subreddit, or discord all about how biased the mods at ATS are. What do you think most people are going to say, “I deserved to be banned, because I was an ass one day and couldn’t control my temper”, or “I was unfairly banned because Zaphod had it out for me after I made them look bad!”

I will almost guarantee it will be the latter 99% of the time.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ObsBartim37

originally posted by: Zaphod58

He wants gmail because during one of the updates some email addresses were blocked out, so they’re not working. Gmail is working best for resets.

Yah, Doesn't that raise a red flag for you?

There is nothing suss about Djarums asking for gmail! Djarums tried two different hotmail addresses for me, and the reset link never arrived to either of them, multiple times over a few hours. I made a quick burner gmail, and it came through in seconds. What, you think he's harvesting emails?? Good Lord! Give your head a wobble.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreCoyoteAngels
Im not shouting.... Im emphasizing some words that I want to be 'heard' boldly.

Personally, I prefer to use bold to emphasise words.

Now: content isn't code. An image file is always and forever data in a standard format. CONTENT.

I know that, I started programming in 1984 or so and I have made some web sites (mostly against my will, as I don't like making them).

Mods have more than you or I, but don't have permissions to stuff behind the 'firewall'. SO to speak.

In fact, in my original account I am a mod, I'm just giving it a little more time to get my account back.

Hope this helps you understand it in laymans terms with a few buzz words.

There was no need (I don't know why you thought there was), but thanks anyway.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreCoyoteAngels
a reply to: ArMaP2

Awesome, you grok a bit of SQL.

I'm supposed to, I have been using it almost every day at work (and at home) for the last 30 years.

BUt those kinds of things are very recoverable, if there are backup procedures and standard business practices.

We didn't see that happen here.

Yes, but there's another thing needed: access to the backups and to the recovery system.

A few years ago I had a similar problem (database and code corruption during a failed upgrade) in another forum in which I am an administrator (and the only one with access to the site's control panel) and I only had to restore the last backup and reinstall the forum code (is not custom-made like this one). We only lost a couple of days of posts and everything went back to normal (only better, as the second attempt to upgrade the site code was successful).

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is starting to get frustrating for those of us who are working hard to get people back on the site.

I ask for gmail because so far outlook/yahoo/hotmail block our emails entirely, AOL often takes over an hour to arrive and some custom domains don't show up until the next day.

I have reset more than 500 accounts so far, one at a time, on my own, and have found that gmail, proton and skiff are the ones that work immediately.

If you don't want to give me your email address and prefer to start from scratch that's fine.

I don't want your email address but there is no other way to send the password reset.

Again, no one is being forced to stay or to sign back up. Your participation is voluntary. If you think we're scumbags looking to sell your valuable gmail address, leave.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 05:24 PM
link   

you realize i was logged back in before DTOM. this is all, literally, public record and you can read exactly what transpired ... you can read about what our friend thinks happened and why .. why there is a login from Darko among other things...after you read those logs come back and lets chat

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Here are my statistics (made from the data posted on the "board stats" section of the forums page) for September and October (up to today, a couple of minutes after midnight).

New users per day show a big increase, but the maximum was 161 on October 21, with a fast decrease.

As a comparison, when I started gathering data for my statistics exactly 13 years ago, in October 2010, the average number of new members per day was 107, while the record (on March 16 2011) was 250.

The new threads per day also shows an increase, but, interestingly, an increase with as many lows as highs.

The new posts per day doesn't show much of an increase, as there was already an almost constant increase since around September 25.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 07:09 PM
link   
NVM question answered
edit on 30-10-2023 by ObsBartim37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

This is starting to get frustrating for those of us who are working hard to get people back on the site.

Didn’t you just go on vacation? Seriously, it’s fine, I’m hoping your intentions are pure and if so I’m glad you’re here to help those who want it. Pardon me If I doubt your motivations, but skeptical is a standard operating procedure for me.

Again, no one is being forced to stay or to sign back up. Your participation is voluntary

You volunteered to be the gate keeper of a conspiracy site. The questioning of the true nature of things comes with the territory.
Buckle up butter cup.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Thank you Sir. It has been a difficult time, yeah?

I think that we are often defined by our ability to adapt, and ATS members are adapting the crap out of things.

What a crazy, frightening and wonderful time to be alive.
Much respect, fearless leader.

Thank you for always taking the helm. We would drop anchor without you.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Not just junk emails either, Jarum wants gmail addresses.

Isn't the latter the definition of the former?
Not to split hairs lol

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Many thanks Djarums
::

edit on 30/10/2023 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: randomuser2034

My account was logged in on mobile for about a day after all this started. I had no access to do anything, but was still logged in, and was most likely showing as logged in.

I was logged in the whole time until I got to reset my email/pass yesterday. Connected or not, but about a week (or less) before the crazy happened I got locked out of the email I had used to sign up here. It was a Go ogle account and it said due to some odd behavior in your account, give us your phone number and we'll let you back in. Giving my phone number was the only acceptable solution by Go ogle. Hah, silly rabbits.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join