It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Low for US: Putin to broker peace?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If this leads to a ceasefire, wow:

While Biden is still said to be mulling a visit to Israel, Russia's President Vladimir Putin is now ratcheting up his own diplomatic efforts. "Russian President Vladimir Putin entered the fevered diplomatic fray of the Middle East on Monday, speaking to five of the major players including Iran and leading Arab powers in an attempt to secure a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hamas," Reuters reports.

"Russia, which has relationships with Iran, Hamas, major Arab powers as well as with the Palestinians and with Israel, has repeatedly said the United States and the West have ignored the need for an independent Palestinian state within 1967 borders."

www.zerohedge.com...

I’m not opposed to ending conflict (though in this case I don’t know that it would permanently end the conflict).

The fallout from “Evil Putin” saving the day would be tremendously negative for the US on the global stage IMO.

The irony is also thick in that Biden is pressing for more war with Russia v. Ukraine while Putin simultaneously attempts to broker peace in a far more impactful conflict.

Botch the Afghanistan WD, lose the war in Ukraine, and then fumble in the Middle East?

Not good optics for US/NATO.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: VulcanWerks

Biden has done everything in his power to prevent any kind of peaceful resolution since day one. He has done more to destroy America's image on the world stage than anybody could ever have imagined.

If he isn't gone-and sooni I fear he'll have us neck deep in a war with Iran, China, North Korea and whoever else wants to pile on.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   
And shortly after I posted the OP, WSJ push notification seems to be reading some similar tea leaves:

www.wsj.com... ticle_copyURL_share

DUBAI—The war between Israel and Hamas isn’t just risking a regional conflagration. It is also affecting the global balance of power, stretching American and European resources while relieving pressure on Russia and providing new opportunities to China.

WSJ is right. I’m hoping the US and NATO have something up their sleeve.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

That would be something, especially considering Russia's close ties to Hamas.

Putin and Netanyahu haven't spoken in a long time before today. But Putin hosted Hamas in Moscow just last year. Putin also has close ties to Iran.

If he can get his people to back off, it'll get easier for all sides.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

That would be something, especially considering Russia's close ties to Hamas.

Putin and Netanyahu haven't spoken in a long time before today. But Putin hosted Hamas in Moscow just last year. Putin also has close ties to Iran.

If he can get his people to back off, it'll get easier for all sides.

Don't hold your breath.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Another way to read this:

Puti is worried that if Israel moves against Iran, as the "source" of the funding Hamas and Hezbollah need to continue attacking Israel, Iran will be expecting Russia to provide support...and perhaps even military assistance.

With Russian military assets already stretched (Remember Prigozhin's complaints?) by Russia's war in Ukraine, Putin would face a very difficult choice: Re-supply Iran and possibly have to concede Ukraine. Or ignore Iran, and lose position and standing....relevance, actually, in the ME.

Losing Iran would be embarrassing. Losing Ukraine could prove fatal. Putin needs a cease-fire far more than Netanyahu....or Biden.
edit on 16-10-2023 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The whole world (Australia at least..) knows we're a joke. With turds like this, they're mostly correct. Let's laugh along, shall we??

Oops....sorry, I was laughing and accidentally puked..my bad..

edit on 10/16/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Putin's not fooling anyone. He's over there stirring the pot and planning the next phase of war for all of them. Everyone knows he's in no position to give advice on peace.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Putin's not fooling anyone. He's over there stirring the pot and planning the next phase of war for all of them. Everyone knows he's in no position to give advice on peace.

I agree that he is.

But think of the consequences if he actually managed to get something done for regional peace?

That would be a major foreign policy failure on behalf of the US, and crush the Ukraine narrative that has been so carefully crafted.

Said another way, Putin being the “good guy” is a black eye for US efforts. Not good.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Please tell us putin will ride in shirtless on a white horse.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

Wouldn’t be surprised if Russia was behind Iran
Taiwan, Central Africa, Ukraine, the Middle East, you want to know who is stretched, the West is over stretched and bleeding out
Russia worried, probably Russia orchestrating the whole tune

So typical of some people to see strength when it is clearly the opposite
Tread carefully, a United Middle East would be a Hell on earth, what’s more, you just gave them a cache of weapons

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The West will reject this as Russian propaganda, Putin is a thorn in their side. He just won't take the bait and react to the red lines. A war is the only thing that will save the West's economy at the moment the BRICS have all the resources that keep the West going.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

The West will reject this as Russian propaganda, Putin is a thorn in their side. He just won't take the bait and react to the red lines. A war is the only thing that will save the West's economy at the moment the BRICS have all the resources that keep the West going.

Purely economically speaking - a war in the Middle East would probably be good - maybe even quickly.

When I say a new low in the OP, what I mean is that we (and nato) seem way off kilter with this situation. We’re walking very fine lines here at home in terms of messaging.

It would be a serious problem if Putin somehow got a win out of this situation because the world is watching and it’s a way way larger deal than Ukraine. It’s clear that the US is in control there, but, not in the Middle East - just much less sway these days unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

It's probably not even Biden making these decisions. He probably listens to his advisors and staff and goes off that. The man can barely give a speech for God's sake.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Putin, is no fool, make no mistake, the man was highly trained on how to deal with problems and make them go away.

Putin, is doing this for the PR and to show up the west. He is showing that the west is ineffective in the middle east, and to gather credibility with the regional powers, and to strengthen in roads in the region.

How he does it, is very simple. If Israel welcomes him in, he will make 2 telephone calls and then a few days later, the hostages are released and Hamas stops shooting. That being phone calls to Syria and Iran, that will in turn send messages to the leaders in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, to stop all hostilities immediately. Chances are there will be a promise of some form of assistance, and then after that, either travels to Israel or invites delegations from both Israel and the Palestine's to come and negotiate a peace, outside of the western influence.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Why they keep saying "make Palestine independent" that is not going to solve a darn thing, they are still a sponsored terrorist region and harbor terrorist as their residents.

Maybe all those darn Palestinians in the US, should go and liberated their own country first from terrorist, but not they are here in the US crying, celebrating and complaining.

Putin is just making the US regime look stupid and weak, because lets face it, that is what biden administration is.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Well, to be fair, the west doesn't need Putins help to show how ineffectual it is in the Middle East.

Thats why the Abraham Accords were such a big deal and even that tenuous agreement meant a sustainable peace.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 10:14 PM
link   

edit on Mon Oct 16 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 10:15 PM
link   

edit on Mon Oct 16 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie
a reply to: nugget1

It's probably not even Biden making these decisions. He probably listens to his advisors and staff and goes off that. The man can barely give a speech for God's sake.

You're right; I just saw a montage of recent Biden public appearances and every single person around him needs to be arrested for not reporting and allowing elder abuse.....starting with his wife.

I actually felt pity for one of the nastiest people ever to grace the halls of DC for 50+ years.

He may not be suffering, but the rest of us sure are.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join