It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq bans media from using term ‘homosexuality’, says they must use ‘sexual deviance’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 04:15 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

Aug 8 (Reuters) - Iraq's official media regulator on Tuesday ordered all media and social media companies operating in the Arab state not to use the term "homosexuality" and instead to say "sexual deviance," a government spokesperson said and a document from the regulator shows.

The Iraqi Communications and Media Commission (CMC) document said that the use of the term "gender" was also banned. It prohibited all phone and internet companies licensed by it from using the terms in any of their mobile applications

thehill.com...

Iraq’s official media regulator has reportedly banned the terms “homosexual” and “homosexuality” on all media and social media platforms and is instead mandating the usage of the term “sexual deviancy,” according to multiple media reports.

Iraq’s Media and Communications Commission said the directive aims to safeguard societal values and public order, according to CBS News, which cited an Iraqi news outlet that posted a photo of the document itself.

It seems a number of words have been banned, such as homosexual, homosexuality, and gender. One could argue anything related or derived from these words is also likely to be banned, for example gender identity.

Iraq doesn't criminalise homosexuality but does have a clause under its penal law prohibiting immodest acts in public according to the second article. But again that's something very different. Important observation is that homosexuality isn't illegal in Iraq.

Do you agree with the decision taken by the country? I am not in favour of banning words or attacks on free speech and expression. For example gender identity is a ridiculous term imo, I don't want it to be banned but to be contested, shown it's just part of the gender ideology, it's meaningless, and hopefully people will stop use it in the future.

But again, Iraq is not a western country and it has its own norms and sees ethics/morality differently to us. Do you think sexual deviance is a better term to describe homosexuality?

According to the dictionary
dictionary.apa.org...

any sexual behavior, such as a paraphilia, that is regarded as significantly different from the standards established by a culture or subculture. Deviant forms of sexual behavior may include voyeurism, fetishism, bestiality, necrophilia, transvestism, sadism, and exhibitionism.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 04:22 AM
link   
not exactly shocking, more a water is wet headline..

though through another lens it protects those in power that are caught in compromising situations, not looing at the leadership.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
not exactly shocking, more a water is wet headline..

though through another lens it protects those in power that are caught in compromising situations, not looing at the leadership.

However, this language will not be used in any of the western countries. I suspect it will be called homophobia.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg

of course not the language the legacy media use is designed to revel in the offence they cause not just in the west but in the wider world..

its truly sad to see the level of cultural imperialism adopted by the *cough*cough* anti colonial western media.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hmm
Government telling citizens what to think is bad now?

Oh…the government told twitter what to post?
Oh craps….

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 05:59 AM
link   
They better watch out, the US govt. Is going to stop sending them money if they don't support butt stuff.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 06:07 AM
link   

So, will there be an exodus from the oh so stigmatized right wing nuts, to a country that represents their backwards moral better?
Or will they stay and be whiny bitches about it?

Just kidding, we all know how much they love to complain, this is like their padded save space.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

So, will there be an exodus from the oh so stigmatized right wing nuts, to a country that represents their backwards moral better?
Or will they stay and be whiny bitches about it?

Just kidding, we all know how much they love to complain, this is like their padded save space.

None of these will happen.
The reality in Iraq is very different to the reality here. Different norms and ethics apply to their society and this is known for sometime now.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Well one is happening but i guess in their eyes the complaining is akin to a holy war, fought from a moral highground.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Well one is happening but i guess in their eyes the complaining is akin to a holy war, fought from a moral highground.

I don't think is holy war.
Homosexuality isn't illegal in Iraq but it may not be acceptable by many in the country. Still, the acts are not forbidden.
edit on 10-8-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   

immodest acts in public according to the second article.

Maybe not over there but they have probably been watching the LG BLT crowds over here go wild in public
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well at least one country has it right

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
this is worser than having WMD's
when is the next gulf war ?

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Looks like we need to send some freedom to Iran

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I'm surprised at the banning of the word 'homosexuality'.
How can they call something a sin when they can't even say the word that they are calling a sin?
Banning 'gender' surprises me. It's innocuous. People have genders.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It'll happen in America also once all the Muslim jihadists hiding in plain sight get the call to implement whatever plan they've been simmering on the back burner.

And I heard this from a Muslim at a convenience store while he was in a heated argument with a POS customer.

I mean POC....

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan2
I'm surprised at the banning of the word 'homosexuality'.
How can they call something a sin when they can't even say the word that they are calling a sin?
Banning 'gender' surprises me. It's innocuous. People have genders.

Gender is used by the ideologues in a very different way. Gender is the same as sex but the meaning has been corrupted lately by the gender ideology. That's what they're banning. I see why but I wouldn't ban the word but rather challenge, just as I always do the gender warriors and the gender cult.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Many langures do not like any expansion to keep it pure, French is one of the most strict that comes to mind. You can get a fine for using a non-french word in the newspaper., for example.

Is there actually a word in Arabic for homosexuality? It seems it doesn't translate, and if you try to do it then it kind of goes off in different directions.

edit on 10-8-2023 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   

It appears it is just more of the same. I'm glad I live where I do. And when we refer to Iraq's government I'll refer to them as government overreach deviance.

Banned media
In 2010, the Iranian government started using cropping and other editing techniques to censor foreign movies deemed offensive or immoral. The strategy behind this was that citizens would stop seeking out illegal or uncensored versions if approved versions of the films were broadcast. Censorship cut out the following: alcoholic beverages, sorcery, men and women sitting too close together or touching, closeups of women's faces, low necklines on shirts, and many others. People are sometimes edited out, or objects are strategically placed to cover what is considered inappropriate. For example, a low neckline on a woman's shirt is edited to be more modest. Dialogue in foreign films is also oftentimes rewritten. For example, romantic implications are replaced with marriage proposals

en.wikipedia.org...#:~:text=Reporters%20Without%20Borders%20ranked%20Iran,of%20freedom%20of%20the%20pre
edit on q00000038831America/Chicago5757America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheMindOfMax

It'll happen in America also once all the Muslim jihadists hiding in plain sight get the call to implement whatever plan they've been simmering on the back burner.

And I heard this from a Muslim at a convenience store while he was in a heated argument with a POS customer.

I mean POC....

Lol
It has happened in America.
The fbi told Facebook and Twitter what they could post.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join