It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Indicted By Department Of Justice Over Jan. 6 Coup Attempt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The Jan. 6 indictments came down today. Trump was indicted on four charges: conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights. This involves actions on his part to overturn the 2020 election, and inciting the Jan. 6 riot.

For those who will claim these are more "fake" charges, as Trump has already done, remember that the DOJ has been prosecuting and convicting persons who took part in the pro-Trump mob riot on at the Capitol on Jan. 6, with many persons charged taking plea deals.

The Department of Justice has been prosecuting people in Trump’s mob who assaulted the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, for more than two years. In the past year, federal prosecutors started going more aggressively after those who took part in laying the groundwork for that day, including the fraudulent Trump electors from states that Democrat Joe Biden had won.

At the head of that scheme was Trump himself, whose White House and campaign directed the effort as part of a plan to pressure then-Vice President Mike Pence into accepting those fake Electoral College votes to award Trump another term.

Top White House aide Stephen Miller, in fact, boasted of the fake elector scheme as it was playing out in real-time during a Fox News appearance on Dec. 14, 2020, the day the actual electors were officially making Biden president-elect.

And Trump recently has been sharing social posts that falsely claim that the attack on the Capitol was actually instigated by the federal government ― a government that he was still in charge of that day.

He [Trump] did try, though, to distance himself from the events of that day: “I wasn’t involved in it very much. I was asked to come in. Would I make a speech?”

That claim is a lie. Trump personally asked his followers to come to Washington, D.C., on the day of the congressional certification ceremony, starting with a tweet on Dec. 19, 2020, when he wrote: “Be there, will be wild!”

Trump Indicted By Department Of Justice Over Jan. 6 Coup Attempt

A number of persons from Trumps circle have given testimony after being subpoenaed by the grand jury. These are not Democrats testifying against him, but people from his own administration and even his family.

Former President Donald Trump was indicted on Tuesday by the federal grand jury investigating efforts to overturn the 2020 election and the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Trump was charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights — a civil rights law related to the alleged attempt to disenfranchise voters by trying to overturn the election.

Several associates of Trump reportedly met with the special counsel's office or testified before the grand jury in the case in recent months after being subpoenaed in the probe, including top Trump advisor Boris Epshteyn, former Vice President Mike Pence, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, and Trump's son-in-law and former White House senior advisor, Jared Kushner. Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, the top election official in the state who received Trump's infamous January 2021 phone call, was also expected to meet with prosecutors.

The subpoenas covered 18 separate categories of information, The Washington Post reported, indicating that the Justice Department was interested in three main areas related to the origins, fundraising and underpinnings of the alleged attempt to prevent the peaceful transfer of power to President Joe Biden in early 2021: the effort to replace earned, Biden electors with false pro-Trump electors before the congressional tally of the 2020 election outcome on Jan. 6, 2021; the rally that preceded the deadly attack on the Capitol, which Trump had tweeted on Dec. 19, 2020 would "be wild"; and the fundraising and spending of the Save America political action committee, which raised more than $100 million in the aftermath of the 2020 election due, in large part, to the Trump circle's "Stop the Steal" campaign.

Those areas of the Justice Department's interest, however, did not cover the other important aspects of its investigation into the insurrection, in which more than 870 people had been arrested for alleged violence, trespassing and — in the case of two far-right extremist groups prosecutors said played key roles in the riot — seditious conspiracy.

Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years in May for seditious conspiracy in connection to his role in the deadly attack — a prison term that prosecutors have appealed in a signal that they were dissatisfied with the term — alongside several other members of the group who received lesser sentences for their participation in the riot. Four members of the alt-right Proud Boys, including leader Enrique Tarrio, were convicted on charges of seditious conspiracy that same month.

Indictment: Trump charged with four felonies in 2020 election probe — 6 un-indicted co-conspirators

A portion of this investigation parallels a similar investigation occurring in by the Fulton, GA, DA, Fani Willis, who is investigating Trump and his associates' efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election in the state. Willis is expected to deliver a charging decision in the coming weeks.

In other news, Trump has already spent tens of millions of his PAC money for legal fees. This amount will only grow.

Trump took in over $53 million since the start of 2023, records show, a period in which his two criminal indictments in Florida and New York were turned into a rallying cry that made his fundraising soar. Yet the Republican presidential front-runner burned through at least $42.8 million this year, much of it used to cover costs related to the mounting legal peril faced by Trump, his aides and other allies, leaving him with $31.8 million cash on hand. And that was after receiving a lifeline from a pro-Trump super PAC that agreed to refund millions of dollars in contributions that Trump’s operation had previously donated to it.

New campaign finance disclosures made public ahead of Monday night’s filing deadline showed Trump’s network of political committees spent roughly $25 million on legal fees. But according to a person familiar with the situation who insisted on anonymity to discuss the matter, the number is considerably higher: $40 million this year alone.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” said Paul S. Ryan, a longtime campaign finance attorney in Washington, referring to the sum Trump’s operation spent on legal fees this year. “There’s no legal issue. It’s really just a question for his donors: Do they want to be funding lawyers?”

Donald Trump's Campaign Finances Are Strained As Legal Peril Mounts

It was predicted that Trump would face a legal hell scape after leaving office, and that has come to be.

The indictment itself can be read here:

Jan. 6 Indictment

edit on 1-8-2023 by MrInquisitive because: added link to indictment

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MrInquisitive

Hurt feelz is not a real crime.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Too late….
Already a thread on this

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Indeed. Did you see that as one of the charges? I didn't. But these are real crimes: conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights.

But thanks for your well thought-out contribution to this news story thread.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   

So...not sedition or insurrection?

Weird.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Untill they start holding other top politicians to the same standard than its all just political.

Better to leave politics up to elections.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Too late….
Already a thread on this

Didn't see one before I created this one, and looking now, I still don't see one. Looked in Mainstream News, Alternative Breaking News and US Political Madness forums both before and after posting it.

Are you possibly confusing this with a thread on another set of his indictments? Given that he has now been indicted thricely, I understand how it might be easy to get them mixed up.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrInquisitive

Indeed. Did you see that as one of the charges? I didn't. But these are real crimes: conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights.

None of those charges will stick, smarter people than me are already saying it.

Jack Smith is over charging Trump hoping to make something stick, as he has done his entire career.

This is an all out assault on Trump by his main political opponent.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Weird.

Don't believe anyone has yet to be charged or convicted of insurrection -- if that is even a crime by US statute. A couple of Proud Boys or Oath Keepers (I forget which) leaders have been convicted of sedition and at least one has been given an 18 year term. Perhaps Trump will be indicted for the same in a superseding indictment.

You do realize the prosecutors charge people with the crimes they believe are most provable in court. Evidently Jack Smith and his associates thinks the four crimes charged will be easiest to prove.
edit on 1-8-2023 by MrInquisitive because: changed "Proud Boys" to "Proud Boys or Oath Keepers (I forget which) leaders"

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:08 PM
link   

None of those charges will stick, smarter people than me are already saying it.

Jack Smith is over charging Trump hoping to make something stick, as he has done his entire career.

This is an all out assault on Trump by his main political opponent.

Well gosh, people you listen to are saying it, so it must be true! You realize that these indictments were handed down in a DC court, not southern Florida. By all means, keep whistling "Dixie" past the graveyard.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Weird.

Don't believe anyone has yet to be charged or convicted of insurrection -- if that is even a crime by US statute. A couple of Proud Boys have been convicted of sedition and at least one has been given an 18 year term. Perhaps Trump will be indicted for the same in a superseding indictment.

You do realize the prosecutors charge people with the crimes they believe are most provable in court. Evidently Jack Smith and his associates thinks the four crimes charged will be easiest to prove.

Hehehehehe....

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.

"The authority says so and I believe them!!!"

Nevermind the long history of their corruption.

You may sit down now.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Too late….
Already a thread on this

Didn't see one before I created this one, and looking now, I still don't see one. Looked in Mainstream News, Alternative Breaking News and US Political Madness forums both before and after posting it.

Are you possibly confusing this with a thread on another set of his indictments? Given that he has now been indicted thricely, I understand how it might be easy to get them mixed up.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2
Untill they start holding other top politicians to the same standard than its all just political.

Better to leave politics up to elections.

What are you talking about? There is a special counsel investigating Biden and his handling of classified material; however, Biden, unlike Trump, returned the material as soon as his team found it, rather than holding onto it for months, lie about it to investigators, obstruct the investigation, and attempt to destroy evidence of the crime.

Also unlike Trump, Biden didn't try to overturn the election or cause a mob to attack the Capitol, in an attempt to block the certification of the election.

Claim all you want that the election was stolen. Fox already lost one $787 million lawsuit that it settled over this, and over 60 court trials have proven otherwise as well.

The GOP-controlled House also has an ongoing investigation of H Biden and are trying to tie it to J Biden, and as yet they have jack on the president. But I'm all for them continuing their investigation, and if anything comes of it, then they can make a criminal referral as the Jan. 6 House Committee did. I'm all for equal justice and upholding the rule of law. I'm not so keen on unsubstantiated claims and attempts to conflate what Trump and Biden did regarding classified documents.

Also, being an elected official or a previously elected official should not be a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Too late….
Already a thread on this

Didn't see one before I created this one, and looking now, I still don't see one...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join