It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron DeSantis Signs 'Radioactive Roads' Bill Allowing Mining Waste In New Highways

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Ron DeSantis, in an obvious quid pro quod gift to fertilizer company Mosaic, has signed a bill to see about the viability of using cancer-causing fertilizer waste as construction material in roads. DeSantis himself has received $75,000 in contributions from the company and the Florida GOP has received much more.

Mosaic Global Sales LLC

You know how road construction always causes a lot of dust, well imagine a dust with radioactive uranium, thorium and radium blowing around in road construction zones. And on top of that, consider the radioactive radon gas that will be emitted by the roads. How about little kids picking up bit of newly made road debris and putting it in their mouths? And don't forget the dump trucks which will be driving across Florida with this crap. Dump trucks never give off dust or drop particles along the road, do they? Remember that the ingestion of this dust, even just through breathing, can result in cancer.

And this guy wants to be our next president. I don't know why Floridians put up with this evil, venal mother fornicator. Seems Floridians were all upset about the Covid vaccine and wearing masks, but don't have a problem with their roads being paved with radioactive fertilizer waste. There will be more reason than ever to wear masks if they start building roads with this toxic crap.

Don't know why anyone would want to travel to Florida if this is implemented, or why anyone would want to live there if this comes to pass. DeSantis and the Floridian legislature is selling out their constituents.

Article Link

Florida highway construction could use radioactive mining waste tied to cancer under a law signed by the GOP governor.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed what critics call a “radioactive roads” bill that would allow new highway construction to use radioactive mining waste tied to cancer.

The bill, which DeSantis signed on Thursday, lists phosphogypsum among “recyclable materials” that can be used for road construction.

Phosphogypsum, a waste byproduct of phosphate fertilizer mining, “emits radon, a radioactive gas,” and contains uranium, thorium and radium, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Radon is “potentially cancer-causing,” an EPA spokesperson told CBS News.

DeSantis, a 2024 GOP presidential candidate, hasn’t commented. Tampa-based fertilizer giant Mosaic, which pushed the legislation, is seeking federal approval to test phosphogypsum, which the Tampa Bay Times noted “could pave the way — literally — for phosphogypsum use in American roads.”

The new bill tasks the Florida Department of Transportation to “evaluate the suitability” of using the material for road construction by April 1, 2024.

DeSantis is “paving the way to a toxic legacy,” declared Elise Bennett, a Center for Biological Diversity leader, in a statement deploring the bill as a “reckless handout to the fertilizer industry.”

“This opens the door for dangerous radioactive waste to be dumped in roadways across the state, under the guise of a so-called feasibility study that won’t address serious health and safety concerns,” Bennett said.

So it gets even better. This company is lobbying for federal approval of the same sort, and no doubt will be stuffing DeSantis's campaign coffers in the hopes that he would promote it if he becomes president. Next thing DeSantis and the GOP will want to do is use radioactive waste from nuclear reactors as road material.

edit on 30-6-2023 by MrInquisitive because: broke 1st paragraph into 2

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is the second controversy DeSantis has faced involving roads in as many days. Yesterday it was learned that DeSantis had used $92 million of COVID relief funds to fund a highway project being done by a company owned by one of DeSantis' biggest donors. That same donor has also apparently brought some rather expensive gifts to the governor's mansion, like a golf simulator.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yeah, money and political agenda rules once again over health and environmental protection.

The state of Florida has approximately 80% of the world's phosphogypsum production capacity. In May 2023, the Florida legislature passed a bill requiring the Florida Department of Transportation to study the use of phosphogypsum in road construction, including demonstration projects, though this would require federal approval.[

en.wikipedia.org...

So does this signed bill still need to be approval by the federal government?
edit on q00000010630America/Chicago1717America/Chicago6 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Most people, in their every day lives are already exposed to radon in some capacity, mostly in your own home where it is far more deadly than in open air. In an open air environment, radon disperses rapidly and poses no serious threat to your health, even if it did can take up to 20-30 years before you even know you have a serious health issue. And that is from daily, prolonged, exposure.

I would wager that they are not "paving" the roads with this material. My guess would be that they would use it as a "bedrock" or fill to raise road surfaces and even then can be done in a way that could potentially seal in the carcinogens.

A viability study does not even meant his will happen, just means they are looking into it and I'm sure it will go through high scrutiny by the EPA, WHO, and whatever other alphabet agency wants to get their hands in the pot.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MrInquisitive

good, maybe this will stop all the damn woketards moving down to Florida, cause where they live is so _____d up, then they proceed to make it just like was back home.

we were better off when everybody thought we were dumb redneck crackers.

After decades of rapid population increase, Florida now is the nation’s fastest-growing state for the first time since 1957, according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s Vintage 2022 population estimates released today. Florida's population increased by 1.9% to 22,244,823 between 2021 and 2022, surpassing Idaho, the previous year’s fastest-growing state.
New Florida Estimates Show Nation’s Third-Largest State Reaching Historic Milestone

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:36 AM
link   
And now the rest of the story...

The bill does state that any phosphogypsum-centered plans for road construction would be used "in accordance with the conditions" of the EPA's approval, which the EPA spokesperson reiterated to CBS News.

"Any request for a specific use of phosphogypsum in roads will need to be submitted to EPA, as EPA's approval is legally required before the material can be used in road construction," the agency said. "Upon issuing any notice of pending approval, EPA will open a public comment period, make any applications and our technical analysis of those applications publicly available, and seek input on the proposed decision."

The bill was ordered enrolled by the Florida House on May 1 and now awaits a signature from DeSantis. If signed, the Department of Transportation would be permitted to "undertake demonstration projects" using the material "to determine its feasibility as a paving material." The department would be required to conduct a study on its "suitability" for that material, the bill states, which must be completed by April 1, 2024.

www.cbsnews.com/news/radioactive-roads-phosphogyps um-mining-could-be-headed-to-florida/

So Ron DeSantis signed a bill that allows for "studies to be conducted" in using phosphogypsum in road construction.

The bill then states that EPA gets to decide if the material can be used in future road construction... I assume they will use the Florida studies to make their decision (following the Science, who would have thought).

The material itself is not going to be stopped from being produced as it is the byproduct of fertilizer for plants we eat; therefor studying alternative means for its disposal/recycling sounds logical for the EPA and states like Florida to conduct.

Doesn't sound like much of a controversy to me .... unless you want to push propaganda that is.
edit on 30-6-2023 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

History shows that wouldn't be a problem as long as lobbyists bring enough money to the table.

Back in the 1940's there was a problem with disposing of a byproduct of the fertilizer industry-fluoride. It was deemed toxic waste and they were running out of places to dispose of it until scientists miraculously discovered it prevented tooth decay!
Minnesota began adding it to drinking water in 1945, with other states soon to follow. the gov.ern.ment is just now starting to take a serious look at the harmful effects of fluoridating water 78 years later.

Maybe they'll take fluoride out of the water and add it to the road construction mix.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
Most people, in their every day lives are already exposed to radon in some capacity, mostly in your own home where it is far more deadly than in open air. In an open air environment, radon disperses rapidly and poses no serious threat to your health, even if it did can take up to 20-30 years before you even know you have a serious health issue. And that is from daily, prolonged, exposure.

I would wager that they are not "paving" the roads with this material. My guess would be that they would use it as a "bedrock" or fill to raise road surfaces and even then can be done in a way that could potentially seal in the carcinogens.

A viability study does not even meant his will happen, just means they are looking into it and I'm sure it will go through high scrutiny by the EPA, WHO, and whatever other alphabet agency wants to get their hands in the pot.

The WHO has nothing to do with this. The federal EPA may or may not. Florida does have its own EPA, and if it is like every other Floridian government department, it is controlled by DeSantis.

You didn't address the matter of the dust from this material during construction and during its transportation. This dust is definitely an issue. Even if it is only used as fill beneath the surface there is the issue of the toxic elements leaching out into the surrounding land. Last time I checked, Florida gets a lot of rain at times.

As for the radon, imagine it rising and being sucked into both the engine and AC intakes of hundreds of thousands of vehicles. The engine exhaust makes pollution. I imagine at times some of the urban areas in Florida have AQ issues, although they might not be that bad being close to the coast. Did just find a source that says the AQ index can reach 100, which rates as poor. And then there is the radon that gets sucked into the AC intake while driving along these roads. And this air will remain confined in closed cars.

This is just a way for the fertilizer industry to get out of having to safely contain this crap, and even gives them the opportunity to sell this crap.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   

It’s weird to me that y’all know so much about Florida’s governor but don’t live there. Yet none of you had heard about Hunters laptop. How does that work?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

First off, your link doesn't work. Second, is it the federal EPA or the Florida EPA? I wouldn't trust any agency under DeSantis' control.

I don't live in Florida, and never plan on going back, but I wouldn't want to breath any construction dust relatively rich in uranium, thorium and radium, or have my car full of radon from the AC intake.

And I understand its a feasibility study. That was in the original article for anyone to read for themselves. But what usually becomes of feasibility studies that are done for some industry?

The Florida Institute of Phosphate Research says that the risk of radiation exposure to people working or driving on roads built over a phosphogypsum base is less than that from dental x-rays or watching television. Never mind that they don't say the amount of time over which this radiation exposure is measured or that modern tv's don't expose you to much in the way of radiation, unlike older cathode tube tv's.

All the hazards that have been addressed by the EPA only has to do with the radium in it, and not the other heavy metals. Again, the construction and transportation dust would spread this stuff around, and get into people's lungs. Alpha decay occurs in isotopes of uranium, thorium and radium. Radon-222 gas has alpha decay, which transmutes into polonium-218 with a half-life of 3.82 days. Even just one little neutron from alpha decay is enough to potentially cause a genetic mutation that could cause leukemia is 2-5 years, and other cancers in 10+ years. What's to worry about?

edit on 30-6-2023 by MrInquisitive because: Added another, final paragraph

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

History shows that wouldn't be a problem as long as lobbyists bring enough money to the table.

Back in the 1940's there was a problem with disposing of a byproduct of the fertilizer industry-fluoride. It was deemed toxic waste and they were running out of places to dispose of it until scientists miraculously discovered it prevented tooth decay!
Minnesota began adding it to drinking water in 1945, with other states soon to follow. the gov.ern.ment is just now starting to take a serious look at the harmful effects of fluoridating water 78 years later.

Maybe they'll take fluoride out of the water and add it to the road construction mix.

Your post made me have a cynical laugh because I believe it.

So the real problem is those in power haven't a clue what to do with toxic garbage, same as Japan's government with nuclear waste being dumped into the sea.

I suppose we all should count ourselves lucky they don't put it into our drinking water (or will it actually leach into our drinking water from the road?) or burn it into our air.
edit on q00000050630America/Chicago1414America/Chicago6 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Notabot12345666

It’s weird to me that y’all know so much about Florida’s governor but don’t live there. Yet none of you had heard about Hunters laptop. How does that work?

Well, I'll tell y'all: I read the news, and you might be surprised at what us out-of-staters learn about other states in the news. Then there is the fact that y'all's governor is running for president; consequently, his policy decisions are of interest to us non-Floridians.

As for HB's laptop, I hear plenty enough about it -- both in the news and from ATS threads -- so I don't feel compelled to create a thread for which multiple threads already exist. And HB's laptop isn't going to give anyone cancer or cause birth defects. The question can be thrown back at y'all: why are y'all so invested in the news concerning HB's laptop?
edit on 30-6-2023 by MrInquisitive because: Fixed a typo

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I suppose we all should count ourselves lucky they don't put it into our drinking water (or will it actually leach into our drinking water from the road?) or burn it into our air.

Everything eventually leaches into our drinking water; that's why it has to be so heavily treated with chemicals before our consumption.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Second, is it the federal EPA or the Florida EPA? I wouldn't trust any agency under DeSantis' control.

it looks like the feds have already granted a similar one once before, but withdrew it because a they didn't get all the data they wanted.

On June 30, 2021, the EPA withdrew previously granted conditional approval to use phosphogypsum in government road construction projects. On October 14, 2020, the EPA approved The Fertilizer Institute’s request to use phosphogypsum in government road construction projects subject to certain terms and conditions. Under Clean Air Act (CAA) regulations, EPA may approve a request for a specific use of phosphogypsum if it is determined that the proposed use is at least as protective of human health as placement in a stack. Upon review, EPA found that The Fertilizer Institute’s request did not provide all the information required for a complete request under these regulations. The EPA withdrew the approval for this reason. The decision was effective immediately, and phosphogypsum remains prohibited from use in road construction.
Request to Use Phosphogypsum in Government Road Projects: Supporting Documents

edit on 30-6-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Dust mitigation is not a huge issue, get dry things wet and no more dust...not that hard.

And yes, leaching into the soil is an issue but again, there are ways they can combat that issue. You do realize that there are already levels of radon in almost all soil in the US right? Radon seeps into your home from the soil around it. Not to mention everything else in your home that has some sort of radioactive components or carcinogenic traits.

In most cases, with radon, what is going to get you is lung cancer. On average there are 21k "radon deaths" per year, and of those, 90% are smokers. Not saying that radon is not an issue, but like covid, it is being made out to be much more of an issue than it really is. And the main reason that people are making such a stink out of this is because of the person behind it, and whether most people are going to admit it or not, that is the case.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It seems there is no shortage of limestone in the state of Florida, where limestone is/was typically used to build roads so why start using toxic waste material? Could it be because Florida manufactures 80% of the world's phosphogypsum?

See page 5-7 of attached EPA report.

www.epa.gov...

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Notabot12345666

Just because Biden is one of the worst candidates the democrats could have possibly picked doesn’t mean we have to move the bar down for everyone else.

DeSantis also recently signed a bill banning most direct sales from car manufacturers. It appears he’s also in bed with car dealerships. I can buy almost anything direct from the manufacturer, so why should a consumer be forced to pay thousands more in a market where dealerships are slapping up to tens of thousands more of a premium on for market adjustments?

The problem with having a horrible president in office is others feel emboldened to do things that are unpopular just because they know it won’t hurt them as much. American politics are currently a race to the bottom.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You are trying way too hard to sensationalize and villainize this. No one is talking about dump trucks full of radioactive materials rumbling around Florida. Phosphogypsum is just one of many coarse aggregates that are part of asphalt and/or cement. How much dust comes out of road tar? None.

This is nothing new. For decades there has been a company named Stericycle that uses medical waste, including radioactive products, biohazard surgical waste, sharps, etc, in their own product Steri-cement. After nuking the medical waste in massive microwaves the end result is a fine powder which is used as a coarse aggregate.

Your diatribe is akin to people running amok screaming, "Don't say gay!" because DeSantis wanted to stop the indoctrination of 5 year olds with sexual content in education systems. The article you quoted clearly says the idea is to be evaluated by the FDoT and must also be granted EPA approval before it can be used.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

You are trying way too hard to sensationalize and villainize this. No one is talking about dump trucks full of radioactive materials rumbling around Florida. Phosphogypsum is just one of many coarse aggregates that are part of asphalt and/or cement. How much dust comes out of road tar? None.

This is nothing new. For decades there has been a company named Stericycle that uses medical waste, including radioactive products, biohazard surgical waste, sharps, etc, in their own product Steri-cement. After nuking the medical waste in massive microwaves the end result is a fine powder which is used as a coarse aggregate.

Your diatribe is akin to people running amok screaming, "Don't say gay!" because DeSantis wanted to stop the indoctrination of 5 year olds with sexual content in education systems. The article you quoted clearly says the idea is to be evaluated by the FDoT and must also be granted EPA approval before it can be used.

I'm not sure how you can say it's nothing new when the OPs opening post obviously states that this new bill it will pave the way for it's use in road construction. That implies it has never been used in road construction. Can you explain your 'nothing new' statement?

The new bill tasks the Florida Department of Transportation to “evaluate the suitability” of using the material for road construction by April 1, 2024.

DeSantis, a 2024 GOP presidential candidate, hasn’t commented. Tampa-based fertilizer giant Mosaic, which pushed the legislation, is seeking federal approval to test phosphogypsum, which the Tampa Bay Times noted “could pave the way — literally — for phosphogypsum use in American roads.”

edit on q00000021630America/Chicago3333America/Chicago6 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrInquisitive
a reply to: dandandat2

The Florida Institute of Phosphate Research says that the risk of radiation exposure to people working or driving on roads built over a phosphogypsum base is less than that from dental x-rays or watching television. Never mind that they don't say the amount of time over which this radiation exposure is measured or that modern tv's don't expose you to much in the way of radiation, unlike older cathode tube tv's.

All the hazards that have been addressed by the EPA only has to do with the radium in it, and not the other heavy metals. Again, the construction and transportation dust would spread this stuff around, and get into people's lungs. Alpha decay occurs in isotopes of uranium, thorium and radium. Radon-222 gas has alpha decay, which transmutes into polonium-218 with a half-life of 3.82 days. Even just one little neutron from alpha decay is enough to potentially cause a genetic mutation that could cause leukemia is 2-5 years, and other cancers in 10+ years. What's to worry about?

Sounds like a study should be conducted.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join