It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sackler family wins immunity from opioid lawsuits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The Billionaire/creator of opioid drugs which is responsible for the Opioid drugs and thousands of medical injures across NA.
Is now protected from opioid lawsuits.

Instated of getting punishment for causing medical injures from their drugs.

The Family instated would be paying 6 Billion to just address the opioid addiction for which they helped create.

Government in this case has helped Pharma not the people.

The billionaire owners of Purdue Pharma will be protected from lawsuits linked to the US opioid crisis in exchange for a $6bn (£4.85bn) settlement.

Purdue, which filed for bankruptcy in 2019 amid thousands of lawsuits, made drugs like OxyContin and is blamed for fuelling the crisis. On Tuesday, an appeals court ruled that its owners, the Sackler family, would receive full immunity from civil suits. In exchange, they will pay $6bn to help address opioid addiction.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Did they sell opioids to people without prescriptions?

Suppose you traded your car in for a new one. And I bought your old car and made a tiny killdozer out of it. How many years should you spend in prison for letting the dealership sell to me?

If they limited the production of the meds and caused price increases, you would be just as angry.

A better solution would be to punish the people who were responsible for prescribing it responsibly.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
Did they sell opioids to people without prescriptions?

Suppose you traded your car in for a new one. And I bought your old car and made a tiny killdozer out of it. How many years should you spend in prison for letting the dealership sell to me?

If they limited the production of the meds and caused price increases, you would be just as angry.

A better solution would be to punish the people who were responsible for prescribing it responsibly.

I’m a practical guy when it comes to legislative and litigation solutions.

But if you made this post for free, that I do not understand. Why lobby for corporations for free? They will pay you.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

Ridiculous.

A used car has no analogous relationship to a drug that is known to be addictive and is pushed to market by corporate inerests and prescribed like jellybeans by medical 'proffesionals' who have taken an oath to 'do no harm ' but sell out to corporate greed.

A more apropos analogy would be an automaker that knowingly sells a car with a fatal defect. And we know that that happens, as well, without substantial penalty.
:
edit on 2023 6 01 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
a reply to: Jason79

Ridiculous.

A used car has no analogous relationship to a drug that is known to be addictive and is pushed to market by corporate inerests and prescribed like jellybeans by medical 'proffesionals' who have taken an oath to 'do no harm ' but sell out to corporate greed.

A more apropos analogy would be an automaker that knowingly sells a car with a fatal defect. And we know that that happens, as well, without substantial penalty.
:

Both are unreasonable comparisons.

Opiates are an analgesic. Synthetic opiates are relatively new — opiates are as old as time.

What opiates are under discussion at Perdue Pharma? Are they synthetic? Is the risk profile for comparable analgesics similar?

Did Perdue increase the risk of dying of an opiate overdose? Did they increase the absolute risk? Did they increase the relative risk?

People have always and will always use analgesics since the beginning of humans and until the end of humans.

Especially people who actually need analgesics.

Did Perdue adopt corporate policies that encouraged giving analgesics to people who did not otherwise require analgesics or design and produce synthetic opiates that had a larger risk profile than organic opiate formulations?

There’s plenty of people who require analgesics to function.

On, the other hand, a policy encouraging unnecessary use of analgesics for profit reasons is both something Perdue could be liable for and would also reduce the availability of analgesic therapeutics to individuals who actually require such.

Most “opiate deaths” in the US are not organic opiate compounds, nor are they even “legacy synthetic opiate compounds” NOR are they even “fentanyl”

By far (orders of magnitude), most “opiate deaths” in the US are caused by illegally distributed “synthetic fentanyl derivatives and analogs.”

Of course this is too complex for people to understand.

Or, perhaps, maybe it is not too hard for people to understand.

So to reiterate the bulk of “analgesics related deaths” in the US are due to unprescribed, Street-purchased, illegally distributed, synthetic fentanyl analogs (and it’s not even close) trafficked from Mexico and manufactured in China.

Does that change the meaning of this thread?

edit on 1-6-2023 by JohnTitorSociety because: Typo

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92
Some people, myself included, rely on these drugs for a semblance of normal life. People with chronic pain are having to jump through hoops because of the overuse and abuse of these drugs.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck
Some people, myself included, rely on these drugs for a semblance of normal life. People with chronic pain are having to jump through hoops because of the overuse and abuse of these drugs.

This is consistent with my points, and especially relevant to the fact that 96% of analgesic related deaths involve not organic opiates, nor even synthetic ones, but illegal, unprescribed and trafficked synthetic Fentanyl analogs from China.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I always have said 'goverment' is in cahoots with the drug cartels. The so called 'war on drugs', is just a front to appear to 'care' about the effect drug addiction has on the population. The 'government' makes big bucks on an addicted population, both in cost of drugs as well as collaborating with big pharma for 'treatments'.

Goverments are nothing but mafia gangs at the very top.
That people still don't see this and still think the goverment gives two craps about them !

edit on 1-6-2023 by ancientlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 06:42 AM
link   

This makes me sick. When you find out what they did to people, knowing full well how addictive this drug was, it's horrific.

It's disgusting how they got away with falsified info, the FDA just went with it and there are still people in congress who accepted money from them and backed them up.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 07:21 AM
link   
but what this all mean?

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 07:31 AM
link   
No justice, courts are only there to protect the interests of the rich.

You want justice, go get your gun.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
It's disgusting how they got away with falsified info, the FDA just went with it

It is the FDA that is the problem here.

They are the ones that are supposed to be protecting the public from garbage like this, but they are, in fact, in bed with the big food/pharma corps they are supposed to be protecting the public from.

Abolish the FDA. Make big corps 100% liable for faking safety data for their products, and watch these problems disappear.
edit on 1-6-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   
it's our entire medical system's fault, not simply the drug manufacturers.

I'm sure the guntards will be along shortly to compare it to bullets and bangbangs but it does raise a valid point on pointing fingers.

From personal experience, when someone is hospitalized long-term with pain involved, the flow of drugs is non-stop. As long as the patient complains of pain, they get meds. The doctors and staff know full-well that the patient is addicted as you can see them laying there, watching the clock until the next dose arrives but they still supply it. I'd even asked them after they pointed out this behavior why they don't just give the patient a placebo and the reply was "we can't. If they say they're in pain, we give them meds. If they have an addiction problem we'll address that once they've been discharged" !!!!

So much for helping people

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

I think a large part of the problem was that the Sacklers messed around with studies to try and "prove" that Oxy wasnt addictive.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Oh most definitely. The economic potential was limitless. There's a series on Netflix I believe about this.

edit on 1-6-2023 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

This makes me sick. When you find out what they did to people, knowing full well how addictive this drug was, it's horrific.

It's disgusting how they got away with falsified info, the FDA just went with it and there are still people in congress who accepted money from them and backed them up.
Yup, our so called 'goverment' is corrupt to the core. A criminal gang in cahoots with big pharma, big food & the drug cartels. The sicker we are the better , in their eyes.

posted on Jun, 1 2023 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTitorSociety

originally posted by: darkwingduck

This is consistent with my points, and especially relevant to the fact that 96% of analgesic related deaths involve not organic opiates, nor even synthetic ones, but illegal, unprescribed and trafficked synthetic Fentanyl analogs from China.

Good point. I have no data on it but something ill have to look into.

I think the issue with Purdue though is that they actively tried to downplay the addictiveness of the drug too though. Some of their marketing was suspect. Similar to how cigarrette manufacturs did....

top topics

join