It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reunion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The day they’d all been waiting for was finally here. Everyone was gathered together, waiting on the final moments. They could hardly contain their excitement. The volume of their conversation was beginning to get a little too loud. The Man in White Robes, standing with his back to them, turned around briefly and put his index finger to his mouth in an attempt to quiet them down. This was a boisterous crowd, and he didn’t expect them to stay quiet for long. His expectations were not unfounded.

The stairway seemed to go on forever. He wasn’t sure where he was, or how he even got here? His head felt a little foggy, like he’d just woke up from a very deep sleep. He’d been dreaming just a few moments earlier, but he couldn’t quite remember what that dream was about. He looked up the stairs. There was nowhere else to go but up, so he lifted his right foot and put it on the bottom stair. As he did, he looked down at his boot. He was wearing hiking boots, cargo shorts, and a t-shirt, his trademark outfit. The boots had a lot of miles on them, as was evident by the signs of wear. His outfit, being the only familiar things about his current situation, gave him comfort. This feeling gave him what he needed to continue up the stairs.

The noise from the crowd had picked up again. Pieces of the conversations could be overheard, “Do you think he’ll remember me?”. Another replied, “It’s been almost thirty years since I’ve seen him”. At the front of the crowd, one voice spoke up over all the others, “Of course he’ll remember you. He’ll remember all of us. Trust me on this. I knew him longer than any of you and he spoke of all of you often. He hasn’t forgotten a single one of you.” This seemed to ease the anxiety many in the crowd were feeling. Their attention returned to the stairs.

The Stair Climber seemed to be nearing the top. Despite the long climb he didn’t feel tired or out of breath. Instead, he felt refreshed. He always valued his solitude. It gave him time to reflect on who he was. He wasn’t a religious man, but he felt he felt he was leading a righteous life. He always looked out for those who couldn’t, particularly animals and children. Yeah, it was safe to say he was comfortable with who he was.

The top of The Stair Climber’s head just came in view of the crowd. The crowd roared in excitement. The one at the front of the crowd nudged the Man in White Robes and said, “This is him. He is the one we told you about.” The Man in White Robes nodded in acknowledgement.

The Stair Climber reached the top and surveyed the crowd. It brought a warm feeling to his heart, and he had to fight to keep back the tears of happiness. He stood before the Man in White Robes and said nothing. The tears in his eyes and lump in his throat prevented him from voicing any words. The Man in White Robes spoke and said, “This crowd has sung high praises of you. Each and every one of them has shared a special memory of you.” The Man in White Robes then opened the gates and proclaimed, “I admit you entrance to Pet Heaven.” With that every pet The Stair Climber had ever cared for came running through the gates to greet him. The pet who had been with him the longest, his most loving companion, leading the way.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ratcals

Well done, ratcals, that was a heart-warming story with a nice twist.

You're most welcome to join in the new Short Story Contest, which should drop tomorrow.

posted on May, 31 2023 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ratcals

That's some Genesis 1 energy right there. Right on.
Write another one for the upcoming ATS Short Story Contest.

join