It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School choice in NC being opposed by Gov

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 05:47 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Democratic North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper declared a "state of emergency" on Monday in an attempt to stop a school choice bill from passing the state legislature.

Cooper released a video announcement where he declared a state of emergency, arguing that the state of public education is "no less important" than other emergencies.

"It’s time to declare a State of Emergency for public education in North Carolina. There’s no Executive Order like with a hurricane or the pandemic, but it’s no less important," Cooper stated.

We have a veto proof majority in the state legislature, and I'm not sure what power Cooper has to do anything about this, but it's a wildly popular idea that it gaining traction in every state. I have a child I care for who would benefit from this greatly. Money follows the backpack, not the school. What that means is the child will have the resources to go to a private school if wanted, and the burden on the parent/guardian is much less than it would be normally, and the education is far superior.

Will this destroy public schools? If they don't change, yes. But they should have to change, have to adapt, and have to provide equal or better education than others offer. It's simple business. You have to make your product stand out and be better, in order to capture the business. This is no different. For as long as we all have known, the public schools have been accepted, because there wasn't really an alternative, and they had no drive or reason to improve other than yearly test scores.

The only thing I see as an obstacle right now, is we don't have enough other alternatives for schools. I have an idea for a school K-12 that focuses on teaching the basic curriculum, and has introduction to trades, throughout the child's schooling, to the point of earning a certificate for a specialty by the end of the child's graduation. Thus giving an 18 year old kid a way to immediately start making good money without the need for college. I contacted Mike Rowe with the idea, but never heard back. I thought it would flow right along with his business model. But I just hope we can make education a thriving business that competes to be better than others, so every child can get the best education possible.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 06:16 AM
link   
All I hear is the sound of my property tax going up.

www.edweek.org...

Generally, though, states use a combination of income taxes, corporate taxes, sales taxes, and fees to provide about 48 percent of the budget for elementary and secondary schools. Local districts contribute around 44 percent, drawn mostly from local property taxes. And the federal government antes up approximately 8 percent of state education budgets (National Center for Education Statistics, 2010).

nces.ed.gov...

In school year 2018–19, elementary and secondary public school revenues totaled $795 billion in constant 2020–21 dollars.1,2 Of this total, 8 percent, or $63 billion, were from federal sources. Some 47 percent, or $371 billion, were from state sources and 45 percent, or $361 billion, were from local sources.3 In 2018–19, the percentages from each source differed across the 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Yes let's allow school choice. This means even more money output to send kids to nicer schools. Private schools who can still discriminate and choose to admit or not admit anyone they want. Changing public schools to be at the level of private schools won't happen either without even more money. Partially because of bloated salaries and administration and public school teachers are some of the most overpaid non-working people I've ever met with few exceptions. Have you seen what an average school teacher makes?

usafacts.org...

In 2022, the average public school teacher salary was $66,397, an increase of $1,104 or 1.69% from 2021.

And keep in mind how much time off they get. Oh boo hoo they have to go to a couple meetings and trainings during the summer. The horrors!

How about in order to fund the school choice vouchers instead of the inevitable, raising taxes, we drastically cut public school teacher pay since obviously they are totally failing, which is what is causing the push for school choice to begin with. And no I don't care about their exorbitant student loans for college. They can get probably get PSLF eventually and that was their choice to begin with. I think an average of 66k a year for such little working time is totally ridiculous.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Also, most of what makes private schools better than public schools is the exclusivity. Are they really going to want to increase their class sizes? Up their student to teacher ratio? Pretty much downgrade their school and the atmosphere with all the unwashed masses? I doubt. But I'm sure a law will be passed that forces the private schools to take anyone with a voucher. Because that is why we can't have anything nice.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yeah Cooper is Hell-bound along with the Regime's brainwashing gulags.
You don't need no education? Homeschool is superior.
I know. I've seen their "curricula".

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Public schools should die. They are like McDonalds for the brain.
I went to a Christian academy kindergarten thru eleventh grade. Then I went to the city high school to be with my girlfriend. These seniors were going over things I learned in 6th and 7th grade and they weren’t paying attention and I felt so bad for the teachers because they were bullied by the students to the point of tears sometimes. And this was in the late 90s. Oh yeah and I never finished an entire day, never got caught and never made below a 94 on any test.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I agree this will benefit students and can ease the minds of the parent that have not choice on where their children goes to get education specially with the woke movement and sexualization of children in public schools.

Darn my best friend just had to put out money from anywhere to take her daughter out of public school into a private school due to the nightmare parents are facing with the public school system.

But the main issue is how much this will cost the taxpayer, no doubt the money has to come out from somewhere.

I also understand that is not fair the preferred treatment that illegals crossing the border are getting, all on the backs of the tax payer.

Do not get me wrong I rather see tax payer money going to our children education that housing illegals in fancy hotels.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Will this destroy public schools? If they don't change, yes. But they should have to change, have to adapt, and have to provide equal or better education than others offer. It's simple business. You have to make your product stand out and be better, in order to capture the business. This is no different. For as long as we all have known, the public schools have been accepted, because there wasn't really an alternative, and they had no drive or reason to improve other than yearly test scores.

Over 60% of NC 4th graders not proficient in reading

pre-pandemic, public schools disastrous

So Governor Cooper's argument is that if parents had an option of staying in the failing public schools or opting for private schools at no cost to the parents it will destroy public schools because parents would clearly choose to leave the futile public school system.

Wow, wtf is that? What a weak argument!

parents are already leaving public schools for private schools and home schooling in greater numbers than ever

edit on 23-5-2023 by fringeofthefringe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   

If public schools are destroyed, the only issue it would cause is the 90% libtards teaching would have to find other schools and would eventually infest the private schools. My son's school is a private school that goes through 5th grade. Next year they will expand to 6th, the next year 7th, and so on each year until the students can graduate their Senior year. A new separate building will begin construction next Summer for middle school and eventually high school. I wish every parent who cared deeply for their child could afford to get them in a private school like that because in about 5 years, those kids will be on a much higher level of education. My 6 year old is already writing in cursive and knows how to plant a garden successfully, things my older kids in high school (and one graduate) can't do and were never taught to do.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 10:02 AM
link   

No surprise your governor is opposing school choice. Any good Democrat worth his (her/it) salt is going to oppose school choice because it threatens the Teachers Unions which are a huge part of the Party campaign funding scheme. Of course, in order to feed those contributions from the Teachers and their Unions, the governments response in many jurisdictions is to RAISE the level of funding despite the exodus of students from the schools causing falling enrollment.
intellectualtakeout.org...

As for the continuous raising of taxes to pay for the failing schools, think about it like this. With decades of open borders policies in effect, the 'Public Schools" are largely immigrant schools. You're being taxed into oblivion to pay for the bad education of immigrants who can't even speak 'English.

What the open borders policy also means is that the US you were born into isn't the same US you grow old in. You lose any real connection to the US as it exists today; you can only speak English; you're vote is likely tossed into the trash. Curry gives you heart burn and the smelly taco truck makes you puke. But no matter; you're still paying fat property taxes to pay for what amounts to a FORIEGN SCHOOL system. As a minority, you no longer have any say in the future of the US; you're future is in the rear view mirror. You are no longer a genuine "stake holder" in the US; you're just a taxpayer without a voice or a vote.

Enjoy school choice if you get it and as you can for however long you can. My guess is the Progressive Authoritarians will eventually Nationalize the schools and force the closure of any private schools while at the same time making home schooling a crime for which you will go to jail and your kids will be rounded up and sent to California for sex change therapy.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 10:13 AM
link   
So he declared a state of emergency because he didn't like the democratic outcome of this vote.

Tell me again how Republicans are a threat to democracy.

How anyone can oppose school choice is beyond me. Don't pretend you care about kids. You care about teacher's unions and their votes. That's all. The kids are a prop to anyone who opposes this.

No surprise though. Same people who couldn't care less that Obama kept kids in cages at the border and then pretended to care while Trump was president. Despicable.
edit on 23 5 23 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If parents want to send their kid to private school or home school them, how can a gov. stop them?

edit on 23-5-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

How can you indoctrinate them, if you can't keep them trapped?

Like you, I also have a child who could benefit. There are specialized schools for his learning disability that would be a better fit than public where services are accommodations, not any actual therapy.

Having the money follow him would maybe let us stretch.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Having worked for a school district (information systems), I can honestly say that NOTHING is about the children, but ALL ABOUT the money

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If parents want to send their kid to private school or home school them, how can a gov. stop them?

this has to do with a new way of doing business. The money the state allows for a child's education (that everyone pays taxes for) would follow the child wherever that child wanted to go to school at. So if it was home schooling, the money would stay with the parents. If it was a private school, the money would be a voucher to use towards the tuition. it's a fantastic way to use the capitalist system to encourage competition in education, and each school would have an economic reason to improve their product.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I believe France has a system very much like this.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

this has to do with a new way of doing business. The money the state allows for a child's education (that everyone pays taxes for) would follow the child wherever that child wanted to go to school at. So if it was home schooling, the money would stay with the parents. If it was a private school, the money would be a voucher to use towards the tuition. it's a fantastic way to use the capitalist system to encourage competition in education, and each school would have an economic reason to improve their product.

Long term, it will destroy private school education as bad or worse than No Child Left Behind has destroyed public education.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

It would have consequences for the entire education system,but it needs to change.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: network dude

Long term, it will destroy private school education as bad or worse than No Child Left Behind has destroyed public education.

as the saying goes, lead, follow, or get the # out of the way.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:54 PM
link   

State of emergency !

All private school facilities will be “eminent-domained” to save the education system.

Until it’s saved, which should be around 2075.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Opposing school choice disproportionately hurts black kids because they are usually stuck in the worst schools in the Democrat-run cities with no economical way out.

Opposing school choice is therefore racist.

Don't cry to me, progressives, you're the ones who made those rules.
edit on 24 5 23 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join