It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of my email addresses was found on the dark web

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hello all.
So I have an identity theft account that alerts me to fraud /risks etc. So one of my email accounts was found on the dark web.

This is an email that I ONLY use to login to several important accounts (such as banking, insurance etc) .
I have not used this email address for anything else, nothing personal, no other use other than with these accounts.
So how did this happen?

I was also advised to change the passwords associated with this email. I have created a new email that I now use to login these accounts.
Should I also change all the passwords of these accounts ? (they are minimum 12 characters long).

Also when I created a new email (proton email), I may have accidentally connected it to my email that was found on the dark web.
Does anyone know how to check for this?

Also, if I add a new email to some account (github in this case) and delete it again, is it gone , as in longer hidden somewhere in the depths of that server?

Ugh, so annoyed at this. The worst is that this email found on the dark web seems to be linked to an account that was (supposedly) deleted

Sick of all the criminals in the world

Thanks

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

Change passwords for ANYTHING that compromised email was used for as a login or contact.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 08:47 PM
link   
that was me. as long as i say my bad. just a prank. modern day oops
edit on 28-4-2023 by AnrkE because: i write peple i know phone #s in bathroom stalls

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnrkE
that was me. as long as i say my bad. just a prank. modern day oops[/quotethat was me.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I have an old Yahoo email address that shows up on the dark web fairly often. I changed the password to a ridiculously strong, 16- character pw.

I don't use that email acct any more. My bank also has seen my name and birthdate "associated" with an address in a city I've never been to.

Nothing bad has come of these.

P.S. If you don't already, you should follow Krebs...
krebsonsecurity.com...

edit on 28-4-2023 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Now I'm locked out of my new proton email due to their ridicilous "i am human" verification, I can't get it right!>??

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Your device may have been compromised by the Israeli government spyware Pegasus which does NOT require user permission such as clicking on a link to infect your phone.

As always because it's Israel it's complicated and controversial to put international pressure on them for this flagrant disregard of individual privacy on a global scale.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:59 PM
link   
My credit card info was hacked when I paid on line to the State of Michigan for my builders license renewal or one of their continuing education approved agencies three years ago. I got something in the mail I never ordered after that and checked my credit card online. I never used that card online before that and rarely use it anywhere at all. According to the card company, it was hacked about the time I had renewed my license. I am not going to use a credit card with the state of michigan again, they don't have very good security. My computer was clean, I am constantly checking on stuff like that on my own computer. It did not happen here. I also only used that card about twice a year for many years just to keep it active and always at secure places where we never have had any issues.

I did some research and did find some issues had happened with the State of Michigan within a few months of when I had paid them online...but that info was difficult to find, seems that they wanted to cover up that they were hacked. I hope they got better security now that they have online gambling that always wants your credit card or bank card for deposits. I would guess they did get more security in place. Even though the credit card company reversed the charge which they said was a test, they changed my number and told me my card had protection if I catch it within a few months. The interest rate is a tad bit higher than the other card, but it had good fraud protection....since then the credit card companies protection was rewritten and it was lowered. I guess a lot more of it was happening so they lowered the coverage instead of raising the interest rate...I never pay interest, I pay it off every month, so it doesn't matter.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

Your device may have been compromised by the Israeli government spyware Pegasus which does NOT require user permission such as clicking on a link to infect your phone.

As always because it's Israel it's complicated and controversial to put international pressure on them for this flagrant disregard of individual privacy on a global scale.

It's funny how easy it is to forget that there are several organizations illegally collecting your data all the time with government approval and funding.

Given they have and continue to commit the crime, it makes sense that they should be suspected of being responsible for other criminal behaviors happening concurrently with the same data. Even if it's bad actors within the agencies selling data bundles to support their habits, it's still coming from the illegal collection.

If I know somebody has been going through my wallet, I will be looking at them first if I find my ID missing. The illegal data collection implicitly endorsed by funding degrades trust across the entire system, even indirectly in places nobody cares to look.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

The illegal data collection implicitly endorsed by funding degrades trust across the entire system, even indirectly in places nobody cares to look.

For me it's clear that an 'all bets are off' strategy has been activated worldwide and that ship has sailed for quite some time.

I have trust issues, lol.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Igave everyonee a star. coulors anyone? green star. this joke outta be worth a star too? come on people can i have star too? The way i see it if some body wants my info, good luck to them they would be better off without my name. but to find my password on one of those sites was unnerving

originally posted by: AnrkE
that was me. as long as i say my bad. just a prank. modern day oops

top topics

join