It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mothman Returns: Point Pleasant Legend to Chicago Terror

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I had a hard time deciphering where to post this. Cryptozoology or Paranormal Studies? It landed here as most the sightings seem to be of a physical nature.

The story begins in 1774 in Point Pleasant West Virginia, when two tribes the Mingo and the Shawnee, united to fight against the settlers flooding into the area - and limiting the native’s resources.

The fight was lead by Shawnee Chief Cornstalk. The battle did not go well for the natives as they were outnumbered two to one. Chief Cornstalk was taken captive and forced to sign a peace treaty. Then eventually released if he promised to uphold the treaty.

3 years later, Cornstalk returned to the fort to inform the settlers, that the treaty was being broken by the colonists themselves. AND to inform them that the British were trying to unite the natives to fight against the colonist. Instead of taking consideration to this important information, the colonists imprisoned Corstalk, his son, and several other natives that came along with him.

Several weeks later, a colonist was killed by a native. A Militia formed and overtook the fort where they were being held. They subsequently killed the 4 natives including Cornstalk and his son. In the process of their murder, Cornstalk placed a curse on the land.

The legend of the Mothman begins. The latest Why Files episode goes into detail about all of the lore that would come to follow. With sightings of the Mothman coming from around the world.

I’m not going to be a spoiler, so I’ll wait for you to watch the video.

I will say that John Keel definitely muddied the waters with his Mothman Prophecies book.

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Of all paranormal subject this is the one that sends shivers up my spine the most.
I really believe and have read some outrageously scary stories.

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Of all paranormal subject this is the one that sends shivers up my spine the most.
I really believe and have read some outrageously scary stories.

I agree. My sisters boyfriend from high school claimed to have seen one by a ‘haunted’ trellis in Hillsboro Oregon back in the 90’s. Of course he didn’t call it the Mothman as he had no clue what it was. But he describes it exactly as others have and I connect the dots years later.

Ironically, it tends to scare the sh!t out of people, even though there has been no reports of it actually attacking anyone.

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I find the theory that cryptids are thought forms or monsters from the ID such a creepy idea but it seems to fit.

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

I will say that John Keel definitely muddied the waters with his Mothman Prophecies book.

I will agree, yes he did, but not necessarily knowingly or deliberately; it was Gray Barker who really screwed it up. Keel wrote The Mothman Prophecies to compete with (read: counter) Barker's book, The Silver Bridge (and, of course, he wanted to, you know, sell a book... can we blame him?).
I've gone almost as deep as possible into investigating the 1960s incidents in Point Pleasant, and Barker, Keel, and other relevant folks. I went so far as to move to West Virginia "undercover" for a while a couple years ago to get the real scoop.
So anyway, Barker's book about the Mothman (and related incidents) did not sit well with Keel, who had an on/off relationship with Barker. A memorable quote from The Mothman Prophecies from Keel about Barker:

"Gray's mischievous wit baffled and enraged them. At times it baffled me, too. This towering bear of a man was very hard to 'read." -John Keel, The Mothman Prophecies

To get a taste of the picture of the Keel vs. Barker beef over Mothman and the Silver Bridge collapse (and the not-so-mysterious-anymore Gray Barker phone calls), this is a must-read:
Gray Barker's Book of Bunk

Keel and Barker now toyed with collaboration on a Mothman book. Barker, who had done little firsthand research, accepted Keel's offer to share notes. Barker then wrote rough chapters, which he sent to me. After my favorable review, he sent his thanks and added, "I have deliberately stuck in fictional chapters based roughly on cases I had heard about. Throughout the fictional chapters is an undertone which explains the sightings from a psychological viewpoint, though this is never stated"
(Barker and Sherwood 1968).

Keel wasn't happy with Barker's proposed depictions of Keel in his book, The Silver Bridge,

Keel recalled this episode in one of his first messages to me in early 2001: Barker's books had been laced with fiction, he said. He'd been appalled by Barker's proposed chapter about him and his rewritten version probably was the finished book's only honest segment. He'd written The Mothman Prophecies to clear the record (Keel 2001).
(bolding mine)

It was a bit of a mess to say the least. Anything with Barker's pawprints on it is going to be tainted. Barker was the main guy behind the confusion.

edit on 4/24/2023 by wavelength because: parenthesis

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: wavelength

it was Gray Barker who really screwed it up. Keel wrote The Mothman Prophecies to compete with (read: counter) Barker's book, The Silver Bridge (and, of course, he wanted to, you know, sell a book... can we blame him?).

I was not aware of this as I’m a complete amateur on this topic. Thank you!

I went so far as to move to West Virginia "undercover" for a while a couple years ago to get the real scoop.

I would love to hear what you found! This is deserving of its own thread. Have you done one that I missed?

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

You're welcome! Gray Barker was indeed a strange character. Here's another interesting piece on him if you're interested:
The Hur Herald on Gray Barker

And hey, a thread about it isn't a bad idea.

When I get some decent time, I will write one up. I've been a busy bee lately (and very exhausted).
I did most of this between 2019 and 2023, and I've spent significant time in several obscure areas of West Virginia mentioned in the book.

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: wavelength

You're welcome! Gray Barker was indeed a strange character. Here's another interesting piece on him if you're interested:

When I get some decent time, I will write one up. I've been a busy bee lately (and very exhausted).
I did most of this between 2019 and 2023, and I've spent significant time in several obscure areas of West Virginia mentioned in the book.

Thank you for the link! I’ll definitely take a look at it.

I’ll look out for your thread. It sounds incredibly juicy! I really appreciate people like you, that actually make their life the research. Moving to a place to investigate makes you a legend! We need more like you on these boards.

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I'm glad to know there are people (like you) who truly appreciate what I do!

Most people would call me crazy for putting so much of my life into this area of study (and I probably am crazy, might be from all of that RF exposure... kidding, kidding lol). The scope of my research kept creeping until I ended up living in WV. It was totally nuts, but totally worth it.

edit on 4/24/2023 by wavelength because: addition

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: wavelength

I can’t wait to hear about it!

You’re the perfect person to ask: Did I put this in the the right forum?

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 03:51 PM
link   

The Cryptozoology forum seems ideal for a discussion about anything Mothman-related, at least in my opinion.

Ps. Thanks for bringing this whole thing up! It's been a while since I've talked about this stuff.
edit on 4/24/2023 by wavelength because:

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Ah yes, the Great Northern Chupacabra!

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The Cryptozoology forum seems ideal for a discussion about anything Mothman-related, at least in my opinion.

Ps. Thanks for bringing this whole thing up! It's been a while since I've talked about this stuff.

I can’t take too much credit. Why Files does a great job of putting it all together. He’s always missing important facts, though. It’s not possible to get it all out there in only a week of research and 30 minutes air time. I still really enjoy the channel. That’s why I like the discussion after the fact here.

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I'll be looking forward to reading your thread on that!!

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 09:41 PM
link   
A similar start to Skinwalker Ranch .

top topics

join