It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is A New Game Afoot?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 05:52 PM
link   
For newer members that may not be aware, ATS was at one point kind of a pioneer in alternate reality games (ARGs).

The owners and mods would put together complex mysteries that would see members scouring the internet for clues in hopes of being the first to find the answer. These games culminated during ATS' Doolittle-era with a cross promotional ARG with Tom Hanks' project Electric City that saw the winner flown out for the premiere.

Sadly the board where all of these games were contained has since been mothballed and I haven't been able to dig up a link. If anyone can find one, please share it because those threads are some of the best on ATS.

With that prelude out of the way, I believe that the ATS ARG may have returned.

I'm sure we're all aware that earlier today a thread titled ATS Mud Pit may be put on hold. was created.

Now what leads me to believe this thread may be part of an ARG are some anomalies I picked up on:

1.) The OP, Darko, is listed as being a member since 2002 but no older members ever recall seeing their name.

2.) They're listed as having over 5500 posts and a million stars but the only posts that appear in their profile are from the thread today.

3.) The thread is the only thread still suffering from the Flag bug from the other week.

4.) At least on mobile, when you click the button to go to the most recent post it doesn't take you to the most recent post.

5.) At one point in the thread someone speculates that Darko is ATS founder SimonGrey. Darko playfully laments how he has been found out so easily. I decided to check Simon's profile and it says he has been banned. It says he had made no posts but all the threads he created still appear. I made a thread a few months ago about finding the earliest ATS post and I can confirm Simon was not banned at that time.

I came in late to the Mud Pit thread so I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing to see if there are any other anomalies but these few that I noticed make me think there's something more going on.

If anyone else agrees with me that this may be a new ARG, I think the first step is to look through the Mud Pit thread chee any more clues. Second round be to try and identify Darko. 5500 posts over 20 years isn't a lot, but it should be enough that they show up in some of the bigger threads in ATS history.

See youtube video
www.youtube.com...
edit on 24-4-2023 by Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Heff clarified a little here.

At this juncture of history, I'm afraid I'd like to not participate in any more "alternate reality games."

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   

*rustling popcorn noise*

This is going to be entertaining or gone in an eye blink. One of the two, not sure about it but for sure I enjoy seeing all the panties in the bunch, lol.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Now you mention it the flag count does seem odd , it had 700 stars when i first saw it and i am on daily.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

Now it has 747, like the plane, clearly a hidden signal.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Simon Grey founded ATS.

Then Skinner and SO got on board with him: The Three Amigos.

He's never been banned.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:01 PM
link   
imo...it's not a RPG, it's preparation for a pay to play solution and it takes time to set up the system. Hope I'm wrong!

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

And yet his account currently has the telltale tilde of being banned.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:09 PM
link   
By the way, while looking through Simon's profile I did find the old Games board.

ats sponsored games & events

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Yep.

Simon Grey was the first name on the Members List.

I have no idea what's going on.

At least they are trying to upgrade things and engage with members.
But it seems everyone is confused as hell.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:11 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   

No, no game at this time that I am aware of or been informed about. One of the last games was solved so quickly it was sad really given the comparison to how epic The Rings was.

The forum was retired from the featured list of forums but still exists if you know how to search for it…which is kinda like a game if you think about it.

But of course someone will inevitably chime in with “but that’s what a mod would say to throw you off the track.” To that I say nice try, but there really isn’t a game afoot. Sorry.

link   

Yes, but it isn't an ARG.

link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Like I said, a lot of anomalies connected to that thread and that thread specifically.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Caught me typing…you solved the mini game of find the forum, I guess then.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Damn.

Well any idea why Simon is banned?

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Well…I couldn’t answer if I knew since we don’t discuss such matters except with the individuals involved. Which is policy going back to since before ATS was a forum.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:26 PM
link   
And, like clockwork, the mudpit is seeping into this thread.

Interesting OP Xcal.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Well…I couldn’t answer if I knew since we don’t discuss such matters except with the individuals involved. Which is policy going back to since before ATS was a forum.

Before ATS was a forum?

I find it unlikely a founder would be banned unless it was for some reason of which he helped shape or did himself, and not for "bad behavior". Unless he created a new personality here.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 06:32 PM
link   

There is/was a 'Mrs. Darko' avatar now.
Is this possibly relevant?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join