It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion for a new law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Not sure where to put this, so Mods, yada yada.

I have a bad habit of over-analyzing commercials. I've seen this commercial several times, I'm not sure what they're selling. Something about invisible people, maybe I don't see them. It ends with two families at a park. One child waves at the other family, and no one immediately waves back. The mother of the waving child turns to the camera with a sad look. Finally, the child of the other family waves back.

Still not sure what they were selling. It seems to me that the mother of the first waving child, instead of turning away with a sad look, should have joined her child in waving at the other family. Get the husband in on it, too. You know, show your child you support her and she's doing the right thing.

Anyway, here's my idea. I'm no leader, I wouldn't know how to start it. But I think it would be great if we had a national referendum to make this a law.

IF SOMEONE UNDER THE AGE OF 7 SMILES AND WAVES AT YOU, AND YOU ARE OVER THE AGE OF 17, YOU LEGALLY REQUIRED TO SMILE AND WAVE BACK. Willful and intentional failure to do so can result in 30 days in jail and a $1,000 fine, or some such. Fines go to schools, children's hospitals, and the like.

After your done questioning my sanity or alcohol intake, give this some thought.

What would it hurt? I thought it was a virtual law anyway. A little kid smiles and waves at me, I'm smiling and waving back. If it's a law, what's the worse that can happen? People get used to smiling and waving?

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I'm against big government. Any government overreach.

I don't want the government to tell me what to think, what to eat, what to wear, what to smoke or not... and definitely not whether or not I should smile.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I remember seeing a young girl say hello to everyone she passed from her car window. I returned her hello with a hello back. The next person not far from me didn't. So in a very deep angry voice she screamed hello at him again. Still she got no response. To this day she probably thinks 90% of worlds people are heartless. She could be right. But many might fear being labelled a pedophile. Such is the state of our sick society.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

[waves]

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Why would anyone want to smile at a child.
I would rather give a nasty look and flip it the bird for being a lazy member of society.
When they start putting into the system I may change my mind.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Or maybe she forgot all about it? Maybe she has that same smile and wave spirit?

If it's the law, no one can accuse you of anything. A kid smiled and waved at you, you smiled and waved back like any honest, law abiding citizen should do.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Maybe it's just me, but I melt with kid's smiles and puppy tails wagging.

They are contributing something very positive to society. Smiles. Society could use more of those.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:47 AM
link   

A couple weeks back in bumper to bumper traffic, my wife and I saw a kid (3-5?) with his parents, in one of those jogging strollers waving from a pedestrian overpass.
Of course we waved back, as did most of the traffic I could see.
We were next to a Rig, when the kid started doing the signal for a honk from the rig. The Rig played along.

Most of humanity remains good and as playful as a 5 year old.
The issue is certain folk choose to not see every individual as good and as playful as a 5 year old if they do not agree with them, so the world has turned a bit darker by their actions.

It's disappointing, really.

But laws mandating behavior? I'm not so keen on that.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I have complete strangers kids smile, wave and grab me around the leg and hug me for no reason at all except for being a beautiful, innocent child reaching out to me.

I always smile and wave back this happens quite a lot now that I think about it.

If you don't wave back you're going to hell, it's as simple as that.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 02:59 AM
link   

No. That's how false charges start. Case in point, a man was running a curio shop in Denver and had a play area set up for children of the women at the beauty shop next door. He'd keep an eye on them until mom was done.

Then one day a grandmother of one of the children caught him waving at her grandchild as they walked past, reported him. He was railroaded into court, convicted of being a pedo, served time and went back to his old store and decorated the walls with his brain. I know this because my best friend was a co-owner of that shop.

Karen's are all over and they can ruin your life over a simple wave.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Was there evidence presented to this court?

Cause, you know, if there was evidence he was fiddling with kids .....

If there was a miscarriage of justice then I hope that child repays her in kind.

a reply to: billxam

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Today we have to be careful about dealing with anyone -
The subject came up at work one day about an elderly person who had fallen on the sidewalk.
I said that if I had seen it, I would of course have run to help them up. One of the men said that today you cannot do that - best to call local police and let them handle it.
He said that if the person had some type of injury from the fall, they could turn around and sue you, saying that you made their injury worse in helping them up.
I hadn't thought about it in those terms, but he's probably right. These are such strange times.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey
Today we have to be careful about dealing with anyone -
The subject came up at work one day about an elderly person who had fallen on the sidewalk.
I said that if I had seen it, I would of course have run to help them up. One of the men said that today you cannot do that - best to call local police and let them handle it.
He said that if the person had some type of injury from the fall, they could turn around and sue you, saying that you made their injury worse in helping them up.
I hadn't thought about it in those terms, but he's probably right. These are such strange times.

Yes he is right.

Multiple people have been sued for saving others lives. Especially where CPR or choking is involved. Almost all of these suits are BS opportunists.

Multiple states have implemented "Good Samaritan" laws but I could not tell you which ones and how much protection they provide. I assume that would be a state by state inquiry.
edit on 20-4-2023 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My daughter has performed CPR three different times now; to do it correctly you will crack a few ribs.

She is fully aware that in trying to save a strangers' life in this manor could destroy her own, but does so anyway because it's the right thing to do and she couldn't live with herself if she just stood by and watched them perish.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   
No. No more laws.
And no adults smiling and waving at little kids. Too much pedo stuff happening. Smile and wave at adults.
It just sounds super creepy.
edit on 2023 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

No. That's how false charges start. Case in point, a man was running a curio shop in Denver and had a play area set up for children of the women at the beauty shop next door. He'd keep an eye on them until mom was done.

Then one day a grandmother of one of the children caught him waving at her grandchild as they walked past, reported him. He was railroaded into court, convicted of being a pedo, served time and went back to his old store and decorated the walls with his brain. I know this because my best friend was a co-owner of that shop.

Karen's are all over and they can ruin your life over a simple wave.

Then there is the other side...as a parent having a daughter and you see the creepy men who do creep on your little girls. It happens. Far too often.

And I am not one to believe most women who cry rape....but as a parent, Ive seen the creeps while out and about.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I must confess, I'm really surprised to the opposition to my idea. A little kid smiles and waves at you, you smile and wave back. Pretty simple gesture between two creatures of the same species, I thought.

Imagine applying the same thought process to other animals. A little puppy gives a playful bark of recognition to a strange dog walking by. If the strange dog ignores the puppy, he is safe and the little puppy learns not to associate with strange dogs. If the strange dog gives a bark and a tail wag to the puppy, he risks being ripped apart by other dogs. Gestures of kindness and recognition are suspect and will not me tolerated in older dogs.

It's the kind of thing that makes me think the Universe would be better off if humans just went extinct. If that is the nature of humans, I don't see how humans benefit Nature. So, in a strange way, I feel a little better. Maybe WW3 won't be so great for humans, but for the Universe, it will be like a cancer destroying itself.

new topics

top topics

join