It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this be space debris?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2023 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hi ATS!

Just came across a curious little clump of matter whilst walking the dog and figured I'd share it with the brighter minds here, hopefully the picture works:

It's about 300g est
Magnetic, you can see it's rusted ever so slightly.

It kinda shouted at me, what do you think?

posted on Apr, 3 2023 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Looks like raw banded iron to me, known as Tiger Iron in the crystal community.
Here's a link to a photo of it when it is polished. I don't know how to upload photo's here since it went all 'wobbly.
Learning Geology site link
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 3 2023 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Thank you Jane!

Makes sense given the geography, it was found near a magnesian limestone outcrop which I think means shallow tropical seas in the past?

I wasn't aware rocks like this could be found in the UK it's why I thought "huh, space rocks" I think I like your answer better. Awesome!

posted on Apr, 3 2023 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990
On further investigation it was first discovered in Michigan US in 1844.

Since then it has been discovered in most countries in greater or lesser quantities.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 3 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

After a little clean it does show a lot of crystalline properties so good call, the magnetism kind of threw me off, iron locked in crystal makes sense... Space rocks? Lol

There's hints of jasper after a clean (microscopic) but I still would've called it a rusty rock myself. I'm guessing cutting it could show it off more but visuals aren't everything. I'm impressed, the red was just rust!.
Thanks!

I might as well post more pics of it later when I have a chance since uploads is working too, yay!
edit on 3-4-2023 by RAY1990 because: To add.

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 04:30 PM
link   
A couple more pictures

I've been doing a bit digging on the geology of the area, it was always my understanding iron is billions of years old. This chunk might not be. Which apparently makes it somewhat rare.

It's kind of tricky for me to wrap my head around it all but my conclusion are:
-The source is now 1000s of miles away
-It's directly under the limestone
-It was washed here millions of years ago from upstream which seems unlikely given the time periods, geology and continent drifts.

It seems things point towards it being formed in the Neoproterozoic timeperiod, which is when an "iron explosion" happened during a snowball earth phenomena. Fascinating stuff.

Or it could be I'm reading into it too much and I'm terrible at researching... Been there before lol. In time hopefully I'll find a thing or two out, provide some links and make a little sense out of this rock

edit on 6-4-2023 by RAY1990 because: Add pic

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Was watching a documentary on doggerland and that tsunami 8k years ago. It could also be possible I'm looking in the wrong direction completely.

Could've been a chunk of metal someone planned on smelting too I guess but there's nothing like it for miles around apparently.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Actually - yes.

We are stardust, we are golden.

Every cell in your body has been somewhere else.

Water, water drink to spare?

That same water passed through a T-Rex.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Good point!

Origin stories do fascinate me though and when something is out of place there's probably a story to it.

Weird your message came through as a reply to myself, must be a new feature?

new topics

top topics

join