It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LGBTQ+ Issues in Education - Is there a common ground?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hello ATS!

I put this post in the Political Issues forum since I have a feeling that's how most will view it. That said, if it needs to move to a different forum or something, MODs please feel free to do your thing.

A little background first. I'm currently finishing my Master's in Education. As part of this program I'm in I have to conduct research on a topic in education that I can present to the school and others. I'm working on a research paper that concerns LGBTQ+ students in school systems. The aim of my research is actually fairly simple - to determine how many students fall under this umbrella term, if the term makes sense, and how to best help those students (assuming we can and should help them).

There's a lot of talk lately about those who have detransitioned or the big names in the industry seeming to regret their transitions. Jazz Jenning's Issues is just one recent thing to crop up. On a personal note, I have once child who insisted that he was a woman. He came out with this after a friend of his pushed him as she refused to date him again because she was only interested in women now but said she would date him if he transitioned. After 3 years of therapy a lot of uncomfortable conversations, it became really clear that he was not a she but rather that he was simply exploring his sexuality. Now he identifies as gay but even then at 17 he still hasn't dated a guy or had sex with anyone at all. He's still confused about life in general and is growing up - which I've encouraged him to live, experience life, take risks, and see what truly makes him happy.

My take, in general, on this issue is that the idea of promoting a LGBTQ+ program of inclusion is a bit disingenuous as I have begun to find that the majority of homosexual (i.e. gay and lesbian) and bisexual persons are at least somewhat bothered by their inclusion with the TQ+ portion of the movement. I've had a few people I've interviewed - especially gay men - who are adamantly opposed to being in the same group as transgender people, queer people, and others. It would seem to me that the current LGBTQ+ movement should be better framed as the "Transgender and Queer" movement. So far I've also found that the explosion of this topic, especially in schools, has revealed that it is only the younger generation that is being affected by it in higher numbers with the prevalence of transgender and queer issues affecting fractions of a percent of adults, especially those in the 25+ range, while younger persons are seeing (at most) a few percentage points of people identifying this way.

I'm collecting raw data and opinions on the subject. No I am not looking to use your personal name, information, etc in a research paper at all. Not even remotely. I'm interested in seeing what different opinions there are on the subject in general. This is an issue that isn't going away on it's own and frankly it needs to be addressed head on with an honest approach and open eyes. So here's my question for you ATS - have you had any experiences with those who identify with the LGBTQ+ movement? Also, where do people stand on this issue? Should it be included in education? Is there an age where it is appropriate to discuss these types of topics in a school setting? And ultimately how should these types of issues be handled when kids confide in their teachers, support staff, educational leaders, etc?

Here's my own 2 cents on these questions:
I've met quite a few LGBTQ+ people and the group is confusing at best. To me it seems a lot like saying that a black man in California is the same as an Asian woman in NYC since they're both minorities in the USA. I don't think that it makes sense to address these types of topics, including things like transitioning, with kids - especially those in the K-5 grades. I would think that including these topics in health classes at school would make sense and even possibly in certain subjects such as English and Social Studies, but only in certain portions of the class. After all, we don't spend the entire school year celebrating ANY particular group so it makes sense that this topic gets a small amount of attention just like every other topic. I especially say this as I do not see issues that affect a far larger portion of our society being given even equal amounts of time in school such as homelessness, military Veteran issues, Asian American rights, yes even Black rights, the Border issues, water rights, weather changes (NOT climate change but the actual shift in weather patterns that are affecting all of us), automobile safety, chemical spills from train derailments (seems to be happening a lot lately....), the threat of another World War, the proliferation of fentanyl and other drugs, etc.

Looking forward to hear what others think!

PLEASE TRY TO BE RESPECTFUL. I know we all won't agree on this topic.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaineLakes
Hello ATS!

I put this post in the Political Issues forum since I have a feeling that's how most will view it. That said, if it needs to move to a different forum or something, MODs please feel free to do your thing.

A little background first. I'm currently finishing my Master's in Education. As part of this program I'm in I have to conduct research on a topic in education that I can present to the school and others. I'm working on a research paper that concerns LGBTQ+ students in school systems. The aim of my research is actually fairly simple - to determine how many students fall under this umbrella term, if the term makes sense, and how to best help those students (assuming we can and should help them).

Stop putting people "under an umbrella."

Educate based on merit and learning abilities.

Sexual orientation, preferences have no place in a classroom unless you are actively teaching people how to have sex.

Your paper should be that it doesn't matter, education, STEM, is more important than anything else.

If you want to prepare a student to be successful in the world education in science, math, english, history will carry them farther than know what anal beads are.

My 2 cents on the subject.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MaineLakes

Starting with the truth would help. There's only two biological sexes and additional genders are complete fantasy. No amount of drugs will ever change a man into a woman or vice versa and it's all about psychology.

Keep sexuality in the bedroom and out of the classroom. The world and it's children need traditional families with a mother and father, we can't throw away evolutionary biology to appease confused children.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I just wanted to expand on something, when you place some people "under an umbrella" you are creating division and separation, segregation from everyone else.

Remove the umbrellas from everyone.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Group identity is always, always, always a great evil.

Rate people on a personal, individual basis and you'll do well.

It's strange how so many people get up in arms over other people using "not doing well" as an aesthetic..... Sad.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I doubt this is what you are looking for, but rather than focusing on sexuality, gender, and level of queer, focusing on education should be where the energy is put. Yes kids will have some strange ideas. But if you are old enough to be where you are, you likely remember your childhood, and can recall you didn't have a nationwide discussion on 72 genders, allowing 8 year olds to lop of their dicks, or any other such nonsense, which made the LGB(whatever) folks a very small minority, and while you may have known a few "gay" kids, that wasn't their only identifying factor. Today, with so much focus on this garbage, there are many more kids playing along to grab some of the overt attention given.

Teach kids that their sexuality is secondary to their education and they are at school to learn scholastic things, and they should explore their bedroom fantasies as they mature and understand more about what truly matters, and not what's trending highest in social media.

Sorry to dampen your research, I'm sure someone has transgender ideas to give you, this site has quite a few, and most are nice enough to converse with.
edit on 27-3-2023 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I think when the government is pushing anything on the people that it should be l looked at very closely.

We know that the government is not a government for the people. So if they are pushing anything hard on us, it will not be for our benefit.

I think whatever they have in the works, that it will hurt us all, and like always, they will use us to do the dirty work.

This lady has an idea that seems to very possible.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Ok, so my answers as follows...

1. I've known a few people who were gay, and a few I suspected were gay but didn't get to know them well enough to find out one way or another (nor did I care). They were all nice enough, mostly normal people, and that is how I treated them.

2. I've met a few people who I thought could be trans, but my interactions were limited, and it simply wasn't an issue. Zero experience with any of the militant folks like the obvious dude on youtube screaming and cussing at the top of his voice that 'I'm a MAM!!!', but if I ever do, it is likely to not end well for them if they get in my face.

3. I personally believe that ALL sex education should be eliminated from grades K-12, but I wouldn't be up in arms if it was offered as an elective in grades 9-12 with parental permission and only if the full unedited curriculum was posted publicly online for anyone to see. But in any case, it definitely has no place in K-8.

4. Anyone who confides in their school teachers, counselors or nurses that they believe they are a different sex should be referred for mental health assistance, you know, since there are only two sexes, and it is physically impossible for anyone to 'change their sex'. Oh, and without question, their parents should be informed immediately.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 11:18 AM
link   
"LGBTQ Education" isn't something that should happen in school. Children are easy to influence and that's all it's about. It's not about education but rather indoctrination.

a reply to: DBCowboy
This post is so anti Rhianna, I like it.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

This needs its own thread. Very well researched and thoughtful interview.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I honestly fail to see why this is even a topic.
Our Public School System is failing the majority of students who attend.
Get out of the social agendas and get back to the basics. Then, at the appropriate age, teach them biology.
Biology basically covers everything in Sex Ed, without the agendas.

PS
Oh, and abolish the DOE. Our children have been coming out of public schools a little dumber every year since Carter's changes in 1978/79.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Who is behind it?
Globalist, AKA Satanist, doing their master's work.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

This needs its own thread. Very well researched and thoughtful interview.

It is something that should be looked at a bit closer. I hope you or someone else will make that thread for us.

I think what she has to say is worth looking at. As she said, if you want to find the truth, you should start with following the money.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
Who is behind it?
Globalist, AKA Satanist, doing their master's work.

Something to think about.

I dont think this movement is about what they want us to think it is about. It also is not just about keeping us separated and divided, though it does help them with that part of the plan.

There is no way they care that much about such a small segment of our citizenry, while alienating the majority. It smells of a cover up to me. What did they do that they are trying to hide?

Is it in the air, in the food, in the water? I think they did something or are planning to do something, that when it comes to light, will make all of this suddenly make sense.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It's one of their weird occult rituals making people In the alchemical image of Baphomet.

They have too much free time and idle hands are the Devils Workshop.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 02:13 PM
link   

have you had any experiences with those who identify with the LGBTQ+ movement? Also, where do people stand on this issue? Should it be included in education? Is there an age where it is appropriate to discuss these types of topics in a school setting? And ultimately how should these types of issues be handled when kids confide in their teachers, support staff, educational leaders, etc?

Anything sexually graphic, heterosexual or homosexual or trans or whatever, doesn't belong in elementary or middle schools, apart from the bare bones anatomy materials. Why is this concept so hard to grasp.

edit on 27-3-2023 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Why would you want to teach about such mental disorders at such young age? This is nothing else but insanity - which is exactly why those insane people in power are doing such insane things: because they are insane.

The proof of that statement? Any metric you pick. Neither are people getting more happy as individuals, nor is the overall satisfaction of the society improving. Neither are mental issues trending down (quite the opposite), nor is education of any topic getting better. Neither do we have more empathic people (riots and cancel culture), nor do we have more mentally resilient people. Chose any other metric you want, the outcome is the same. This path is insane.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Torlin

I think the Jarawa people were the happiest people on Earth.

And we had to lift them out of their simple natural way of living and make them “civilized” like us.

It looks like our variation of civilization is a sure path to insanity and misery.

We are our worse enemy.

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Interesting day to post this?

posted on Mar, 27 2023 @ 04:19 PM
link   

My take?

An attempt to change the way people think so no one can be a victim.

It took until Millenials had kids (or didn't) for the ideologies they learned via memetic internet contagion to root themselves in the education curriculum.

There's also a lot of fear of lawyers. I don't want to say this is largely driven by an overemphasized HR department, but these "inclusive changes" are often in response to the thin-skinned "I AM SPECIAL" mindset that uses victim cards (like discrimination) any time their safe space is infringed upon. And then creates headaches.

That's scary. That comes with hearings and the crocodile tears for a marginalized victim. That, in turn makes every advisory council seek to get ahead of that by tailoring said curriculum to NEVER BRING A DISCRIMINATION LAWSUIT AGAIN.

It's sort of like a virus. It spreads and mutates. It's almost staus quo. And honestly, if it wasn't for preexisting conservatism, it would be. What began as not wanting to end up in HR ended resculpting society to accommodate everyone's ever-more tenuous validation dependent self-esteem.
edit on 27-3-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join