It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover New Antioxidants In Chicken, Pork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Surprise,

This will make the Vegans and Environmentalists scream. Meat is full of antioxidants, remarkably high actually. I guess it not unexpected but nice to see that is it confirmed. Doubt we will hear about this one much in the US since meat is bad.

Now we can wait for the positive eating cricket paste stories from the media... LOL

www.ianslive.in/index.php?param=news/Scientists_discover_new_antioxidants_in_chicken_pork-946432//31

Tokyo, Feb 18 (IANS) A team of Japanese researchers has discovered new antioxidants in chicken, pork and beef that may help in relieving fatigue and preventing dementia.

Imidazole dipeptides (IDPs), which are abundant in meat and fish, are substances produced in the bodies of various animals, including humans.

However, the physiological mechanism by which IDPs exhibit these activities had not been determined previously.

A research team led by Professor Hideshi Ihara from the Osaka Metropolitan University was the first to discover 2-oxo-imidazole-containing dipeptides (2-oxo-IDPs) -- which have one more oxygen atom than normal IDPs.

They found that they are the most common variety of IDP derivatives in the body.

The researchers also found that they have remarkably high antioxidant activity, according to the findings published in the journal Antioxidants.

"We hope that this research method, which enables advanced analysis of 2-oxo-IDPs, will be applied not only to basic biology but also to medicine, agriculture and pharmacy, where it will help improve people's health and prevent diseases," said Ihara.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Date:
February 17, 2023

Source: Osaka Metropolitan University

Summary: Scientists found that 2-oxo-imidazole-containing dipeptides (2-oxo-IDPs) exhibit very high antioxidant activity. Furthermore, they established a method to selectively and sensitively detect very small amounts of 2-oxo-IDPs and revealed for the first time that several types of 2-oxo-IDPs are contained in meat, including beef, pork, and chicken.

edit on 18-2-2023 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2023 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Who were the researchers

Professors Hormel, Tyson and Purdeau

posted on Feb, 18 2023 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The Imidazole dipeptides I studied were the Carnasines. Carnasines are good for the eyes, they are antioxidants. Taurine is also a natural antioxidant in our bodies. Carnasines are heat stable on the grill, but Taurines start to deteriate at about a hundred sixty five degrees, so cooking things medium well preserves both. Taurine gets irreversably bound to things at high heats. Carnasines lose some of their concentrations when boiled, but they stay in the broth if making soup. If the temp is below two hundred five degrees when boiling, N-acetyl cysteine does stay active...just add veggies to lower boiling point when boiling and it will be in the meat and broth. I taste tested a NAC and a L-carnatine tablet and they taste sort of like my broth in the soups I make.

I don't take L-carnasine supplements but do take either Taurine or NAC supplements as part of my epilepsy diet so I do not need to eat so much soups anymore. Both of those two work because they have some anti-oxidant activity I guess. If the pills were expensive, I would just eat more soups and meats cooked properly. The Carnasine did not seem to have as much of an anti-epileptic property as I need, but I thought about taking it as an eye supplement since I am having more eye degeneration from studying on the LED monitor so much. It started after I got the new style monitors, the old CRT style monitor did not bother my eyes much and we have changed some of our light bulbs back to regular bulbs, both the wife and I noticed the LED bulbs were hard on the eyes. My eyedrops I am trying contain Carnasine which is supposed to help, but they did not do too much more than the eye drops using other stuff in them for eyesight problems and are more expensive.

I get enough carnasine in my diet....we buy half a head of beef every year and we buy lots of chicken.

I do like a good salad and at least five servings of veggies a week but if I ate as much veggies as they say we should eat now, I would be batty as hell, way more than I am now. The people I know that eat more of a moderate carnivour diet are actually pretty calm and even tempered, the people I know that eat a high veggi diet are usually wound up and seem to not be able to think properly, they seem to be more overreacting but then again, depending what plant chemistry you eat can make you calm or wirey. I use the chemistry of plants to help control my epilepsy, but other plants I have to avoid because they make me at a higher risk of seizures if consumed regularly.

posted on Feb, 18 2023 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Who were the researchers

Professors Hormel, Tyson and Purdeau

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Scientists discover new antioxidants in chicken, pork
First link fixed .
Thank me later.

new topics

top topics