It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wright at home -FYI2023- just for fun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Phil glances around his sunny bedroom. Model aircraft dangle from the white clouds dotted on the ceiling. A laptop rests on his oak desk. Opposite the crowded bookshelf and bunk beds, unopened Airfix Kits and PC games fill the cabinet.

Hmm, my school friends are away on family holidays. I have plenty of time to assemble those kits, little alone for PC gaming. Dad gave me a copy of SimCity as one of my Christmas presents. Mum and Dad are visiting neighbours, so they can't bother me.

Next to the keyboard is a plate of Boxing Day leftovers. Distracted, he scoffs down turkey and stuffed potatoes. Tossing his red cap onto the top bunk, he tugs on his lengthy purple hair.

A gentle breeze from the back paddock drifts through the open window. Just another day of feeling utterly out of place and homeless. I love camping around the farm with my mates, but nothing cures that emptiness.

A couple of clicks of the mouse and a loading screen later, Phil's attention turns to the in-game map. The customary roading network, nuclear power plant, international airport, emergency services, and commercial zoning follows.

That region is the central business district for my latest mayoral creation, Wright.

Phil fails to notice long shadows growing over his office chair. He is glued to Simcity's day cycle. Zooming in, skyscrapers dominate the skyline. Scrolling down the avenue, a commuter bus is struck in traffic, and a red fire engine is attending a call-out.

Phil is struck down by lightning. Awakening, his jaw drops, and his brows rise. Across the street, a fire crew douses flames at a construction site.

Where am I? Tall buildings don't exist in my home town.

An airliner roars overhead. I don't live near any flight paths.

He strolls toward a familiar blue and white bus stop sign.

Wait, I no longer feel lost and wandering around a barren desert.

Phil smiles and stretches his chunky arms out. Now, I am Wright at home.

The End

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Note to the reader: Wright is a reference to Will Wright, who created Simcity and The Sims.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Stunning imagery!
I felt like I was watching this as a video more than just reading the text. That means you knocked it out of the park in my opinion. Bravo.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Thanks so much for submitting the Wright story... I enjoyed it.

Johnny

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: servovenford

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed reading my short tale.

top topics

join