It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Hogwarts Legacy spoil anything regarding the previous movies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:55 PM
link   
It's been a while since I've watched some of the Harry Potter movies. I'm a novice when it comes to Harry Potter. I want to get into Harry Potter after finishing this game, without getting spoiled.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 11:12 PM
link   
As far as I can tell there is nothing directly to the plot of the movies it seems to have a independent story, the world and the castle however have tons of nods to the books and movies, the last names of the teacher, locations, and sites of interest within hogwarts. You might have a fun experience playing the game as it’s sort of a prequel yet also a stand alone. For instance there is none of the “ancient magic” the game works with in the story ofthe books/movies save for one particular thing that has to do with Harry Potter but it’s totally different then what the game deals with.

In my opinion the books do a much better job then the movies at telling the story but the movies are still entertaining.

I grew up with the books and would buy them asap when a new one released. I read the first book right when it came out it was a sensation at the time I was maybe in grade 3 it was the first “big book” I ever read. Then the hobbit in grade 4.

As someone who read all the books then watched the movies I personally enjoyed the books more the movies cut tons out of the plot and world building.

The game on the other hand seems to do a immense job of world building its fantastic beyond what I was expecting and seems to pull from both the books and movies and beyond it adds a lot of its own flair expanding universe.
a reply to: dragonslayer83

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:49 AM
link   

nope dosent spoil anything, it takes place in 1890 roughly 100 years b4 the main 7 movies and im honestly not sure how much before the fantastic beasts ones. there are names you will recognize (weaslies,blacks, etc ) and its honestly really cool getting to walk around all over hogwarts and the surrounding areas

ill be vague but the only real "huh" moment involves the player character "having powers" that are a bit different then what we see in any of the movies/books like it just never ever shows up in later franchises

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Is it worth the money so far? Thinking about getting it because I think both my son and I would enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Worth every penny if your a fan of the Harry Potter series. The game play is fun lots and lots of quests, a major focus on exploring and world building with lots of points of interest. It gives lots of depth to wizarding world and the open world design.

You get to customize your own room of requirement which serves as your home base with lots of “the sims” style customization in terms of wall papers,floors and decor. It also has a crafting system for making potions growing plants and raising magical creatures. There is fast transport by way of floo powder as well as by broomstick or magical beast. You unlock around 25 different spells and many can used to clear away environmental obstacles. You can dabble in the dark side and learn all the forbidden curses. You get to play dress up lots because any new piece of clothing you find permanently unlocks that graphic which can then be transmoged for free onto any other piece you find so you can always keep the looks you like. The world is far larger then I expected and the game much longer.

I am around 15 hours in and I am around 20-30% done the main quest line. have only explored about 15-20 percent of the map.

The game is expensive but it’s a wonderfully made and if your already a Harry Potter fan it’s just icing on the cake.
a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm enjoying it. One thing that is annoying to me is the overall dimness of the game. I have a 4K TV, I messed with the video calibration/HDR options in the game and have it ray tracing and graphics instead of performance. But it just looks meh

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on PC deluxe this morning. City got pasted by unexpected snow storm, so kiddo had a snow day. I felt like treating him. He immediately made a Harry Potter lookalike, gave it his name Shepard's last name, and joined Griffyndor.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Very nice! The game can really pull you in. I don’t stay up very often late anymore now that I have little ones but I find myself slythering into bed 1-2am every night. I went full Slytherin and role play as one right down to my robe. Been picking all the cheeky dialogue options too.

Learned my first forbidden curse even!

The game in my opinion is a master class. Some reviews are able to judge it based on its merits while some are obvious activists not reviewers and can’t give it a unbiased review. I’ve seen people say buying and playing the game amounts to trans hate and because it features house elves it’s pro slavery. Oh and the goblins are apparently analogous to Jews. The sky the limits to their mental projections.
a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   

im about where your at only advice id give(non spoliery) is dont just use the broom to fly around and explore really fast i went for a few long rides yesterday and got waaay more of the map explored then i planned on and now kind of regret it

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I don't care about woke stuff, so those reviews can take a leap. If it's trfaue to the world, I am down with it ... besides, I play RimWorld. What are house elves compared to war crimes?

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I’ve been playing it very safe and only flying in areas I’ve explored on foot. I appreciate the heads up! I’ve been combing for point of interest scrolls and complete every side quest I find. By the time I got to the room if requirement I was level 20 lol. At least most things scale with you so it’s not that big of a deal.

a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I played around with it last night. I'm not sure whether it's my video card or settings issues, but whenever I load up areas with lots of landscaping, my computer struggles with lag. I'm wondering if there's a graphics option I can turn off to reduce that.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   

It's set in the 1800s, iirc. I've only played a couple hours (I just got to the second town outside school), but it seems to me like it doesn't touch on any of the movie stuff, except maybe to add some lore.

It's pretty darn good from what I've seen so far. The combat is pretty fluid which is the one thing I was worried about from games like the Witcher 3 and Skyrim, where you're stuck in menus if you're a magic user. But this feels natural and flowing. And I've enjoyed the story so far. The voice work is great, even if a few of the voices seem wrong on some of the minor characters, but that's just an opinion.
edit on 10-2-2023 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I was playing a little last night, and was just walking through the halls of hogwarts when two suits of armor stepped off their stand and one beat the other into a heap of scrap metal.

I definitely laughed out loud.
edit on 11-2-2023 by rounda because: (no reason given)

top topics

join