It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hands up if you like secret searches and/or want your crib secretly searched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think that the Patriot Acts are despicable and atrocious. But, I know some of you have no problems with them. One reason for support I see is the belief that these only pertain to terrorists. Anyone who's been paying attention can see that this is simply not the case. I must admit, I do like the arrogance of the powers that be, shown in the name of this act which would have made Hitler and Stalin very proud of the architects behind it.

Well, here is a link to an article about the secret search aspect of the PA. It lists the number of times this has been used here in the US.

news.com.com...

It's only a matter of time before they search your place people...hope you enjoy.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Truthseeka,

Accepting for the moment that you dislike this act, I wonder how you would react if something was changed.

What if there was a way to make sure that the Patriot Act's sections that allow these searches was only called into action when there was a legitimate reason?

I know sometimes you'll get someone who will come into a home and say "uh we're here by authority of the patriot act" and use that to bust someone for growing marijuana plants.

But I'm saying if it were to be used only in cases that there was the concern of national security and the safety of citizens.

The reason I'm saying this is because while I sure don't want everyone to get searched, I feel it's critical to give the police the rights they need to prevent us from being caught snoozing again.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

prevent us from being caught snoozing again.

if you weren't snoozing you wouldn't need 'everyone to get searched'

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Did you read the article? It said that the secret search was used on regular citizens, not terrorists. The justification used was that they had reason to suspect something. What happened to the 4th amendment? Even if you're driving, po pos need warrants to search your trunk. And, they need warrants to search your house, period. Or, they used to...

Yeah, you can say what if the po pos hear someone moving around in the trunk of a car, or what if they see a suspect run into a person's crib. Of course, there are always fine lines, but how often does this happen? You can't tell me that all these searches had this kind of scenario. From here, it goes to them asking you to submit a DNA sample because it will help catch a terrorist.

Maybe you think this is a good idea, but you know what happens when some people are stripped of their rights. It creates a domino effect, and one day you will be affected.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Did you read the article? It said that the secret search was used on regular citizens, not terrorists. The justification used was that they had reason to suspect something. What happened to the 4th amendment?

Hmm, the 4th just flew out of the window, I'm afraid.

But waht happens if my home alarm system goes off? I suppose the police would come and talk to the FBI people, and receive a booklet with the Patriot Act form them. This is nasty.

new topics

top topics

join