It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Subtlety of The English Language

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I feel like this is one of the forms of communication that indeed is capable of the most misdirection and deception, yet at the same time beauty, its for this reason I don't detest it, I embrace it, not as my native tongue for there is no
diagram for pure thought, pure translation of ones core.

.anything with a physical medium (vocals even) must be translated, and each individual translation is truly different.

For every individual.
The best we can hope for is a percentage.(except in rare and frankly dangerous circumstances)
Because we are individual.
Percentages will work. Doesn't mean there has to be a loser, just a compromise.

English, at least in my experience is the most indirect and creative form of communication, why its so easy to lie with..
edit on 1-2-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: spelling

edit on 1-2-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: ongoing..editing seems to affect view ability..interesting

edit on 1-2-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: yup

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

I feel like this is one of the forms of communication that indeed is capable of the most misdirection and deception

Watch this video:
www.bitchute.com...

Cliff high describes his experience in hyperspace ,and how it
is impossible to tell lies there without changing your
appearance .

Skip to the 29:00 mark if in a hurry.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So kind of like farting in regular space? kidding. Thats actually one of the more ATS replies I could have hoped for. Im definitely going to check it out. (if we were in hyperspace that would have only had like a one percent typo average)

Thanks

a reply to: RavenSpeaks

posted on Feb, 11 2023 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

Cultural differences impact how the English language is spoken. For instance, Kiwis are indirect people, so the cultural translation is sometimes required to understand questions and statements.

Take the following statements into account:

Do you have transport? Do you need a ride?

Bring a plate to [enter event here]. Bring a plate of food to the occasion.

Australians and Kiwis use the second expression or statement, but immigrants are known to bring empty plates in response to that request.

posted on Feb, 18 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Do you have transport? Do you need a ride?

Do you have transport? Hey man, Im looking for wheels. What Ya got?

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Go 7 miles up/down the road in England and the cultural nuances change.. go more than that and the changes can becomes ever more unrecognisable...

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The following is absolutely true.

So when I was about 14 I started in the workforce, before then I had chores, bathroom, trash and dog crap were mine. Dishes were the sisters..on the side starting about 9 I mowed old lady grasses for change, shoveled snow, picked up beer cans..anywho 14 got my first job and started paying my dad rent…first job job was a janitor at the school during the summer, then changing tires and oil, lots of firewood, plenty of hay

so im workin part time at this beef operation from the stone ages, local guy generations deep, so many stories..anywho he mumbles gnaws on cigars never lites em..so we are workin cattle one day and he proceeds to tell me that the barn is getting painted next week by some out oft owners..travellers but not the true ones..and he said that they bring monkeys with them to help..I couldn't believe it..I mean this beef dealer would buy or sell anything he could stuff in a stock trailer..emus to zee boos..inj his 60s, so I wasn't that surprised

So all that week man I kept an eye out for the Tennessee barn painting monkeys, every strange engine noise.man I was up lookin out the window…Friday or so they show up..guess what..their labor, black dudes. Yep, that's just how things can differ regionally.another in the stack of surreal life instances..I mean what could I say? Nuts…But You'd really be surprised at some of the stuff that comes out of some of these old timers yaps..holy hell talk about bile..but I guess you could say Im steeped in it..But Im that bone that gets thowed to the dogs…what I mean is stuff that can't be et.

To a point the old timers get a pass..I mean, they've paid at least some dues and that's their language and in a lot of cases their hearts..Im just as bad in my own way at whatever my hangup is..Probably coming to the realization that maybe life can be lived without the chaos..reflect on the four agreements, keep it simple..ground and cope…yeah, the old timers..what are ya gonna do..take away their birthdays?

a reply to: nickyw

edit on 20-3-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: .

edit on 20-3-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: .

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I think we have to study English better and research all the nuances of the language for better understanding and communication

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What's truly amazing is some people on social media imagining there were grammar rules that don't actually exist.

Unlike French there is no "academy of English" (there was supposed to be at a stage, but due the political ruckus it would cause it was abandoned).

And the spelling narcissists decide, but if you spell, for example,1970s with an apostrophe that's wrong.

Because Oxford University recommends so.

Er, but the New York Times says "1970's", and Oxford doesn't regulate all the English language on the planet.

Some people just have this black and white thinking. and they don't seem to understand, there are many varieties of English.
And it's always been a mixture (for example Latin and Germanic words), and never a "pure" language.
edit on 18-6-2023 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Correction, above I meant the New York Times would write "1970''s".

posted on Jul, 10 2023 @ 01:32 AM
link   
It's good to learn multiple languages. It definitely seems to be a good exercise for the mind.

posted on Jul, 10 2023 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Like i always suggest, learning Norse and learning Latin is a great stepping-stone to learning English.

new topics

top topics

join