It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Speed its not the same

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Just a thought I don't want to forget..

How exactly do we measure light Speed ?

The 1st Light would have traveled the most distance , What direction do we look for the beginning of the 1st light does it have a forward trajectory or did it just go boom from a center and travel all directions at the same speed . Now what happens to New light doe's it just join the old light and become the same speed ?

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Many years ago a teacher told the class that if the sun went out, we wouldn't know it for 8 minutes. That is how fast it would darken here on earth.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

The 1st Light would have traveled the most distance , What direction do we look for the beginning of the 1st light does it have a forward trajectory or did it just go boom from a center and travel all directions at the same speed .

It's right where you are.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

Today, using oscilloscopes with time resolutions of less than one nanosecond, the speed of light can be directly measured by timing the delay of a light pulse from a laser or an LED reflected from a mirror.

www.forbes.com...
en.wikipedia.org...#:~:text=Today%2C%20using%20oscilloscopes%20with%20time,LED%20reflected%20from%20a%20mirror.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

But is new light faster then old light that has traveled farther or does old light slow down and dissipate eventually halting all together with new light only to travel as far as the old ?

Or does each light extend the universe because it develops at different locations and times ........
edit on 1-1-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:31 PM
link   

That's like asking "what would happen if a spaceship traveling at the speed of light turned on its headlights, would you be able to see where you're going?"

The answer is no, because apparently, all things are relative.

Or at least that's my limited understanding on the matter.

Edit:

Or does each light extend the universe because they develop at different locations

I don't think i quite understand the above query.
edit on 1-1-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

That's like asking "what would happen if a spaceship traveling at the speed of light turned on its headlights, would you be able to see where you're going?"

The answer is no, because apparently, all things are relative.

Or at least that's my limited understanding on the matter.

Edit:

Or does each light extend the universe because they develop at different locations

I don't think i quite understand the above query.

Light happens at different times New times every day we turn on light bulbs for example does that new light I turn on everyday join the old 1st light or does light have a end to it's expanse and rely on new lights from locations it passes in the Universe as it travels . Where does light end or run out of fuel or does it continue piggy backing on new light or even passing older light is light parasitic on other light new or old ?

The original light was it a burst with no connection at all to it's source once it went off - Example Bang one created light but then dimmed does that light travel forever .....
edit on 1-1-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Nothing actually travels at 100% light speed .
Try that on for size .

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Where does light end or run out of fuel or does it continue piggy backing on new light ?

Maybe it's just one photon moving around really really really fast?

Again my understanding is there is no underlying reference frame and that all motion is relative.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 07:03 PM
link   

A good measuring stick that I've found is the Voyager Probes launched in the 70s.

twitter.com...

Voyager 2 is still only 18 hours in light speed travel away from Earth. Despite having been launched about 50 years ago.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The original light was it a burst with no connection at all to it's source once it went off - Example Bang one created light but then dimmed does that light travel forever

In answer to your edit.

Light in a perfect vacuum travels on until it hits something.

Or to put it another way.

light only stops when it is absorbed by an electron in an atom of an object.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Cosmology 101.

First, there was nothing. No space. No time. No particles as we now know them. Then there was some fluctuation that did a couple of things. First, it defined space (the 3D realm) and because there is now distance between things, there was now time. Now everything was too “hot” (energetic) to form matter as we know it. I n some ways it was “let there be light”!! This nothing burger blew up from below the size of an atom to a volley ball creating everything that would come after.

Next, this light burger grew out to the size of the solar system. It was still too filled with hot energy so particles could not form. It is reasoned that it was a bright ball with precursors of gravity within it.

After that we either get a super rapid expansion or a very large increase in space.

In the nanosecond burst we have the universe. It grows large enough to cool down and the first particles are formed. The gravity threads gather this matter together. The matter begins fusing together and we get, gulp, new light shed into the universe.

There is a point of contention when the “first” light lets the other (new) light through but that happens too. The point being that we see that light!!

It is not like a light bulb or anything, but it is like The Force. It surrounds us, bathes us, and we call it “the microwave background radiation”. It is a few degrees above absolute zero but there. There is no “orgin” or starting point to see. It just is!! As a matter of fact, scientists who don’t like the Big Bang theory said, “why isn’t the universe glowing with [this] light”?? Well, we are! It is the background radiation we see in all directions!!

Matter is neither created or destroyed.

So where does the light go? Well, the Universe is expanding. That would be a waste of space if light couldn’t move into it!!

Light is not additive. So a train traveling at the speed of light turns a flashlight on another train traveling at the speed of light will see the light shining. That because the speed of light is constant.

The weird part is that the edge of the universe, the real first light, cannot be seen because it receding from us at the speed of light!!

I think I covered the basics of cosmological existence as we know it. Most of your questions are there. And I contend that light is weirder than we think!! For example, did you know that light has a “handedness” to it?? Chirality is a weird phenomenon not only for light but for atoms as well.

Happy New Years!!

Keep having impossible thoughts!!

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The original light was it a burst with no connection at all to it's source once it went off - Example Bang one created light but then dimmed does that light travel forever

In answer to your edit.

Light in a perfect vacuum travels on until it hits something.

Or to put it another way.

light only stops when it is absorbed by an electron in an atom of an object.

...then, after absorption, the atom's electrons excite to produce new photons travelling at the same speed through that perfect vacuum.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The problem being space is not a perfect vacuum.

Interstellar space is about the best approximation of such.

But even then there apparently still remain a few hydrogen atoms per cubic meter.

Nothing is perfect i suppose, not light nor the universe aka space-time in which it exists.

It is however apparently very finely tuned.

edit on 1-1-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher
Just a thought I don't want to forget..

How exactly do we measure light Speed ?

The 1st Light would have traveled the most distance , What direction do we look for the beginning of the 1st light does it have a forward trajectory or did it just go boom from a center and travel all directions at the same speed . Now what happens to New light doe's it just join the old light and become the same speed ?

interferometry is how its measured.

light has no specific direction and according to the big bang theory all photons came into existence everywhere at the same time, new light doesn't join old light unless you force it to, otherwise light bounces off itself and its always at the same speed unless it has to go through water, glass, or certain other mediums.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The C in the equation is not a variable.
How many times has this been drilled into the heads that dare to question it?

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Apparently, because light can be considered to be a wave, comprising both an electric and magnetic component, changing the quantities, will change the measured speed of light.

www.livescience.com...

But for all intents and purposes, the speed of light is a constant in this universe, or at least i think that is what Einstein had to say or thereabouts on the subject.

www.amnh.org...#:~:text=No%20matter%20how%20you%20measure,speed%20of%20light%20is%20constant.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
Many years ago a teacher told the class that if the sun went out, we wouldn't know it for 8 minutes. That is how fast it would darken here on earth.

That's quite the absolutely terrifying thought if you consider it.

A certain alien civilization could theoretically have the power to kill a star.
edit on CST11Sun, 01 Jan 2023 23:30:05 -060000000001b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 04:33 AM
link   

But for all intents and purposes, the speed of light is a constant in this universe, or at least i think that is what Einstein had to say or thereabouts on the subject.
You didn't post an exact quote, but whatever he actually said, what he meant was the speed of light in a vacuum is constant. Physicists all understand that "in a vacuum" is so well understood on this topic that they don't always add that qualifier but it's always implied when talking about the speed of light being a constant.

Because the speed of light is not the same in media other than a vacuum.

The newest light from the sun and the oldest light from the most distant galaxies all travels through the vacuum at the speed of light.

Think of the individual photons that make up light. The photons coming from the sun left about 8 minutes ago, and traveled 8 light-minutes of distance, while the photons from distant galaxies may have left 10 billion years ago and traveled 10 billion light years, and can both arrive on earth at the same time traveling the speed of light. Well, they slow down a tiny bit upon entering Earth's atmosphere, to just under the speed of light, because of the air molecules in the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 04:38 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join