It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary McKee has been running a marathon EVERY DAY of 2022 - Finished Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Gary McKee is an inspirational 53 year old Briton who has today completed his goal of running a 26.2-mile marathon every day in 2022 , his aim was to raise £1m for Macmillan Cancer Support and a local Hospice but hopefully he's surpassed that total now.

Here's an interview from November with Gary McKee taking to Neil Oliver on GB news.

'Mentally, it's just a day at a time, it always has been. Like a 365-piece jigsaw. One day we put a piece in place the crack on with the next day.'

It's worth noting that Gary not only ran through the hottest days on record this year but also works for a living , stunning achievement from an incredible Briton.

Happy New Year.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Wow. That's insane. He's been running 4-5 hours every day for a year.

Hat's off to him for such an amazing feat.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Incredible feat. The guy ran 40% of earths circumference in just 1 year.
That’s three times longer then Terry Fox ran! Granted Terry had just one leg. Terry did his run in 143 days.

Did he run the same track each time? It suggests he ran his own personal marathons either before or after work crazy dedication.

a reply to: gortex

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That’s insane. I’ve never ran more than 3 miles at a time and I would give myself 48 hours to recover before doing it again. I was doing it more as a bodybuilder would, but still 26 miles every day......insane. I mean, the first guy who did it died right afterwards
edit on 31-12-2022 by Notabot12345666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Just imagine the physical and mental pain of that 😳
Absolutely incredible!

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Gary has tweeted that he's made his £1m goal.

The father-of-three often ran his 26.2-mile (42km) route before starting work at the Sellafield nuclear site.

As he crossed the finish line, he thanked the "fantastic" reception.

And he later revealed in a tweet that he had reached his £1m goal in aid of charities.

Cheered on by crowds, he started his latest challenge at 08:30 GMT and finished at about 14:00 GMT in front of a fireworks display.

Mr McKee has gone through more than 20 pairs of trainers, run more than 9,500 miles (15,300km) and finished his final marathon at about 14:00.

Speaking afterwards, he said: "The streets were lined. It was raining, but everybody was out clapping and shouting.

"It was fantastic seeing everybody there. It's something I'll always remember."
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 04:36 AM
link   

£1m though?

I'd expect a lot more for all that effort and pain.

Why am I only hearing about this guy after the fact?

I guess the media expected him to fail...

Gary McKee.

Top job mate.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It takes real discipline.

First you have to establish the routine, then you have to keep it going. Once you have it as a habit, it gets much easier because it's just life.

The astonishing part to me is that he was able to keep it up every day for a year. I can understand being able to establish the routine and work it as habit. There is an older dude around this area who will be seen running up and down the highways toting this large American flag. It's obviously a regular habit for him and routine as astonishing as it seems to everyone else. But the thing I get hung up on is how you manage to not get ill or run down with a nagging injury that demands you rest it in that timeframe. 365 days is a long, long string to pound your feet and legs over that many miles every day.

I would assume that he's not running a punishing pace since he wouldn't need to and he's not necessarily running over punishing surfaces, either.

top topics

join