It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apples - PAD2022- non-writer -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I was visiting a good friend and we had been a sharing a deeply philosophical conversation. I had to leave. I left with my children, still distracted by the nature of our conversation.

We went down the street outside his place, and my children told me they were hungry as we walked up towards an apple tree alongside the road. They asked me to get them some apples for them to eat.

I looked at the tree, and thought that the apples closer to the sun would be more tasty. The low hanging ones were just out of my reach, so I started looking for a piece of wood I could use to help reach the apples more towards the top of the tree.

A kind stranger was watching, and he told me to use a scrap piece of steel (aluminum?) that was laying in the back of a trailer alongside the fence that ran along the road.

I thanked him, and used the piece of steel to knock down some of the apples that were higher up and closer to the sunshine. Happily my children indulged in the apples I had knocked down.

The kind stranger was watching us and asked me why I didn't just jump and reach up for the apples closer to the ground.

"The apples closer to the top taste better." I replied.
"How do you know?"He asked

I told him I didn't. I grabbed an apple that was just out of my reach, and tried it.

It tasted good.

A little later on, walking back home I was startled to realize how the event clarified the discussion that was distracting me leading up to this story I just recounted.

Little things like this happen all the time, events that serve as positive reinforcement for my spiritual explorations. Practising paying attention, and being in the moment enough to recognize them can be a challenge worth looking forward to.
The END

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Appreciate your Short Story.

Wishing you much success in the Contest!
Johnny

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

Could you please entertain this response and question from me?

There was this dream that truly is way similar with this story of yours.

The dream was about a classmate. My perspective in from the above and I saw him looking up to the fruits still attached to the tree disregarding the already fallen fruits. I was very disturbed by such. Why would you wish for something so "similar" with what is in front of you or what is already given - gifted just for such "belief"???

Are not they the same? Are not they of the essence of same food - same providence? What of it? [Sorry for the ranting, that was just the remnant of that dream.]

P.S. Indeed, your story could have a different view (especially if it is also a dream), but look at the value of what you have done. It is not worth it. You have only proven something that is of only your "belief".

To quote and antagonize you more (please, this is just the remnant of that dream, hahaha) (take this wisely)

The kind stranger was watching us and asked me why I didn't just jump and reach up for the apples closer to the ground.

"The apples closer to the top taste better." I replied.
"How do you know?"He asked

I told him I didn't. I grabbed an apple that was just out of my reach, and tried it.

It tasted good.

How do you know? Because that is what you wanted to believe. (Belief Redefined (unlocked by your story): Anything that an individual wanted to believe.)

None is different. None. None!!! I'm angry!!! GRRR *tiger's paw, nails outstreched* ROARRR

[Please bear with my rantings. Once again, the remnants of that dream. You can gain lots of wisdom from such dream you know.]

Please do entertain this response.

Thank you.

Blessed be.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheEndIsHere

Good Day TheEndISHere.

I am pleasantly surprised to see your post in this thread where I shared my Apple memory...

I am consider myself a fool. This story are actual events from a very long time ago, what I have shared recently in short stories forum are pieces of writing from logs from many years ago. This memory would have been from around 2005/2006.

If you are asking about my choice in apples, most of the time I will eat the apples that have fallen off the tree myself. That day however, I had my girls with me. They asked me for apples, so I always want to give them the best, especially when they were such small children at the time.

I am extremely stubborn and have had an injury that effects my sight. Since my sight is effected such, so is my vision. I wanted to give them the ones from the top, because that was my impression. I had not planned on eating any apples my individual self, at the time.

When I tasted the apple after the gentlemen had asked me the about it, it was good. It makes me wonder if you could have been that person who enlightened me that day?

You are not antagonizing me, and I enjoy the feedback.

Don't be angry, the philosophical discussion that I was discussing with at the start of the story was about ego. Ego is an illusion.

Your welcome,
Bless you and have yourself a fantastic New Year's.
Cheers!

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Nope, that person can never be me. I still haven't seen an apple tree in real life. Hahaha Guess what, I have not seen the outside world that much.

Enlightened you..., which means that what the gentleman asked to you, awakened something inside you.

Indeed, it is. But it is very elusive. The "I" is very elusive.

Now, to ask you of something that could make you doubt your parenthood. Please bear with me again.

[If ever you have reflected on this already, it is not that much important then.]

Have you ever thought that what you have done towards your children could be an "injustice" in the guise of you "doing your best for them"? The prophecy from Lord Krishna's teachings about cows and their kids. (The licking and licking of the parent and when separated, the kid was harmed at once.)

What if you have shown them the beauty of gratitude? the beauty of humility? and other transcendental values?

[Now, this will truly go back to what you have been enlightened so far. Indeed, you have had only "fed" the "I" even with the thought of giving the best for your children.]

uhm, it seems that I am no longer giving any value to you with this response. You are in the state of wakefulness, after all. Therefore, wisdom and knowledge should become second nature to you. Do reflect more for there are still lots of learnings in life ought to be known and then shared unto people who are seeking for those Truths.

Namaste.

Happy Holidays, too.

May thy Remembrance of the Birth of the Child in a manger humble us and let us be more grateful even with simple things, and May New Beginnings be unto us for the new existence to come. Blessed be.

🙏

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Thank you TheEndIsHere.

The gentlemen did me a favour that day because he showed me it was better to try and see for myself rather than hang on to my assumptions.

I have questioned my ability as a Dad my whole life, and have often regretted making poor decisions or worse when it comes to my role with my children and their Mom. There are many reasons or excuses for that, nobody is perfect. My shortcomings in life, especially when I realize information or lessons that I feel I should have learned sooner crushes my heart when I look back retroactively on how that knowledge may have saved so much pain I put my loved ones through.

I have talked with my Dad about this, from time to time. He does his best to reasure me which feels good after not talking for an extended period when I felt I needed him the most. He reminds me from his own experience, that often realizing and accepting the painful lessons of the past gives one the opportunity to create an even better future for themselves than if they had gone through that.

Thank you for sharing your insights with me. I practice learning as best I can what life has to offer and need all the help I can get. I used to feel when I first started my family very alone because my Dad and my Grandparents disowned me for a long time. Things are much better now, my Dad is in my life, and my Grandparents are in my heart. I don't feel like I have to face everything on my own anymore, and look forward to each day.

This season has been one of the best for me in a long time, I feel practising humility and giving thanks on the regular are virtues that help make dreams come true.

🙏
Namaste
edit on 1-1-2023 by dffrntkndfnml because: Double pasted reply out of text editor, so I removed the repeated part

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Thank you TheEndIsHere.

The gentlemen did me a favour that day because he showed me it was better to try and see for myself rather than hang on to my assumptions.

I have questioned my ability as a Dad my whole life, and have often regretted making poor decisions or worse when it comes to my role with my children and their Mom. There are many reasons or excuses for that, nobody is perfect. My shortcomings in life, especially when I realize information or lessons that I feel I should have learned sooner crushes my heart when I look back retroactively on how that knowledge may have saved so much pain I put my loved ones through.

I have talked with my Dad about this, from time to time. He does his best to reasure me which feels good after not talking for an extended period when I felt I needed him the most. He reminds me from his own experience, that often realizing and accepting the painful lessons of the past gives one the opportunity to create an even better future for themselves than if they had gone through that.

Thank you for sharing your insights with me. I practice learning as best I can what life has to offer and need all the help I can get. I used to feel when I first started my family very alone because my Dad and my Grandparents disowned me for a long time. Things are much better now, my Dad is in my life, and my Grandparents are in my heart. I don't feel like I have to face everything on my own anymore, and look forward to each day.

This season has been one of the best for me in a long time, I feel practising humility and giving thanks on the regular are virtues that help make dreams come true.

🙏
Namaste

[Sorry for the "manual quote" of your response. ATS and the network connectivity just won't let me.]

Finally, I see the Truth of your actions. Hmmm, truly, it is the empathy that made its way on you. You have that sense of Compassion due to your experiences from childhood up to your adulthood. It can be understood that what you have done with the Apple story is due to that. Yet, we must learn also that too much of this "compassion" is no longer "compassion" but an "injustice."

Though, what you have done is actually the natural response for an individual who have experienced such a life. That is the main reason why people indeed should truly reflect more and try to see everything with the Different Perspectives, to see the whole picture. Thank you for not letting "the bitterness" seep into your soul. Thank you for the forgiveness. Thank you for the compassion (but not for the "over-licking" ayy, hahaha). Thank you for still being of Humanity. Thank you.

Why indeed am I saying thank you? It is because such action actually is one of the keys for the "cycle of iniquity" to stop. You know, you have experienced it, therefore you learned, and then did something better. Is not that worthy of thanks?

Indeed. Situations are perceived differently by individuals depending upon their growth in this existence. The best thing that you have done is that you are always open for new wisdoms and learnings in life. You know, a life-long learner.
Blessed be.

[Then that means that the thing about my rantings about "belief" really is not that important anyway. Still, it could help you or someone else. Just always seek to learn more and be of the Truth.
]

🙏🙏🙏

new topics

top topics

join