It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smell

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

the rain is the best!

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The smell of the ocean, the air had a weight to it, I played hooky from high schools to go skin diving often, and this smell felt like "freedom."

The smell of lavender perfume my language tutor wore, she was a severe woman, who taught me so well ...

The smell of cooking bacon across the house, made me sprint from my bed towards the breakfast table.

The smell of olive oil ... real olive oil ... my neighbors cooking garlic ... sweet garlic.

The aroma of turkey in the oven ... family.

The smell of fertile soil ... that rich deep "life" smell.

Not to be crass but ... my wife...

the smell of impending torrential rain ... and the smell of petrichor... my wife taught me that word.

The rainforest ... everyone should get a chance to smell that.

Books ... especially old books.

The pine barrens near my old home ...

You are correct... smell is more than just a sense... it is inextricably linked with memory, and thus emotion.

Great idea for a thread!

edit on 12/30/2022 by Maxmars because: Because I'm not perfect

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 04:05 PM
link   
for some ungodly reason when i was walking from the train station the other night, I got the strong smell of these sugar cookies my grandma used to get from the Amish people...and this was in a street in Peru, and I know for a fact that none of the panaderias make this type of cookie

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

Oh yeah... that smell of pan de agua as I walked by the panaderia early in the morning, wow... thanks for the memory.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I just heard that the other day so I looked it up.

“The sense of smell is closely linked with memory. In fact, this sense may actually be the most powerful of all for memory“

www.pocketprep.com...

That’s cool!

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If you ever watch dogs and cats (and I suspect most animals), they smell everything -
That gives them most of the information they need, for instance they know if they can trust a person or not by smell.
I don't think most of us realize how important the sense of smell is.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 07:58 PM
link   

www.countrylife.co.uk...
Curious Questions: Why is smell the most evocative of our senses?

‘A fragrance,’ the British perfumer Roja Dove once said, ‘is like a cat burglar in your brain — it has the key with which to pick the lock and unleash your memories.’

The smell of fresh Rosemary, “There’s Rosemary, that’s for remembrance; pray you, love, remember”, Ophelia (Hamlet, W Shakespeare)

When I come across a Rosemary bush, I run my hands over the leaves and carry that scent with me all day.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The overwhelming natural perfume of steaming wet Creosote bushes and Mesquite trees in the Arizona desert following a summer rainstorm.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteboyrick

The smell of a snowfall on its way. Couple of hours tops.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 10:03 PM
link   
In no order..,

Bacon and onions (you can add sage too!). It is the smell of Thanksgiving that I love and will treat myself with when I get that urge for comfort!

Wort. That is, barley being converted into sugars. There is a sweetness to that aroma that is distinct. Having brewed beer, you get a good idea of what the end result will be from the first few steps. Heck, you can add the addition of hops to the boil!

Bread rising. And baking! Maybe I am hungry but those smells of transformation are very welcoming!

Here is a weird one! Warm tubes in an amplifier! It is also some kind of transformation (a weak magnetic wiggle into sounds that you feel pushing against your legs… at least at the volume that matters!) Little known fact there Norm, but the first time I was on stage playing guitar I didn’t go through the PA!

Yeah, memories and smell sure beat some Proustian digression after dunking his cookie in some tea!!

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good smells of certain things cooking can bring up my spirit pretty much. But the smell of some things can send me out of the room. I cannot be around fingernail polish or remover when it is being put on...I also dislike the smell of women's permanents.

I also do not care for the smell or taste of that rotted canned Norwegian fish or that Swedish rotted fish my dad and uncle used to get back in the early sixties. Along with that,Worcestershire sauce smells and tastes bad to me in food

Like the smell of good coffee brewing, but it seems that lately some brands do not smell so good as they used to. I need to get some more coffee from someone I know who buys beans from guatamala and roasts and grinds them himself....those still smell great. I don't know why the major coffees smell as bad as the cheap coffees used to smell years ago. Hills Bros and Folgers do not smell nearly as good as they used to these last four or five years.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Oh god, reading some of these posts is making me hungry. I wasn't planning on cooking much tomorrow, but now I am all fired up.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned
GSR makes me think of breastfeeding.

Same here.

I saw something some time ago that said they don't really know how smell works.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outrageo
The overwhelming natural perfume of steaming wet Creosote bushes and Mesquite trees in the Arizona desert following a summer rainstorm.

We enjoy that perfume as well but it's with Juniper and sage, here in the Land of Enchantment. Heavenly...

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Nothing (besides fresh coffee brewing) beats the smell of potato cheese pierogies, frying in butter and onions!

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Oh god, reading some of these posts is making me hungry. I wasn't planning on cooking much tomorrow, but now I am all fired up.

Shoot..., I'm hungry now too.

Perhaps we should have limited ourselves to non-food smells...

I'm going to go toast an everything bagel.... just for the smell.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

High end perfume reminds me of hot dates and wonderful evenings.
The smell of leather in the sun, reminds me of my first BMW.

You've brought back two memories for me.

1) I can't remember her face or her name...but I remember the perfume my first date wore.

2) Interior of my first Jaguar....nothing like that smell of wood and old leather.

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Old Spice aftershave. I don't use it but my father did. My dad has been gone for quite some time now. However,
I still have a bottle on my dresser even though as I said I don't use it. Just to have a small memory of him.
My wife occasionally wants to toss it and that is not going to happen!
Nice thread!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join