It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Startup’s $140,000 Car Can Fly Over Traffic Jams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 02:35 AM
link   

The flying car is approaching reality and we think it was the right time to chip in,” Brian Gu, Xpeng’s president, said on the sidelines of the Dubai event, called GITEX. “The industry has produced a lot of technical breakthroughs, from weight reduction to obstacle avoidance and electrification.”

Chinese Startup’s $140,000 Car Can Fly Over Traffic Jams

And finally..... flying cars in the make.

In the past months, China’s Xpeng Aeroht has staged two maiden public flights for its aircraft. The 90-second exercise near Dubai’s iconic Palm Jumeirah island in October was followed by another in Guangzhou, China — landmarks for the startup backed by electric-vehicle maker Xpeng Inc. The EV firm’s billionaire founder He Xiaopeng and other backers are betting large they can overcome regulatory hurdles and capture a slice of what’s been touted as a $1 trillion market that could redefine how we move around

The prototype flown in Guangzhou makes Aeroht stand out. While many eVTOLs — electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft — have no wheels and can’t be driven on the ground, the Chinese company’s sixth-generation model is an actual car that also works on the road. It looks like a luxury automobile rather than a small plane with wheels, which is some contenders’ approach

In fact, the model is designed to be driven on the road for more than 90% of the time and only flown when there are traffic jams or obstacles. Founder Zhao said in an interview the car — which sports four electric engines and eight propellers — may go into mass production in 2025.

I was starting to wonder if we'd ever see this come to fruition. It'll be interesting to see if they actually make it happen or not. It would be cool to glide over everyone sitting in traffic; waving as you fly by. 🤙

edit on 23-12-2022 by AOx6179 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Supercar-1960s!!

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AOx6179

I didn't think Yahoo still existed! Lol.

This would be great if aerial collisions were isolated to the sky, but the weather man predicts heavy showers of metal fragments should there be an accident......and there will be many if there's no locked in autopilot function to keep everyone on track.

I think it's cool and what an adventure everyday!

When I was a cabinet installer, we did a development up in both Angels Camp and El Dorado Hills, CA. We passed through this neighborhood that had an incredibly wide street. It looks like any other neighborhood except for the extra wide street and the airplanes parked in most of the driveways!

It was a dual purpose street that doubles as a runway and those folks were flying to the SF Bay Area for work and back!!

I just thought that was sooo cool!

Considering the traffic anywhere in California, being able to eliminate that part of your commute is priceless.

Having a bunch of people flying around above populated areas isn't a great idea on it's face but there's plenty of time to workout some controls and backstops.

I'm thinking, some people will have this while others may never take to the skies.....and definitely some that absolutely should not.

edit on 12/23/2022 by EternalShadow because: correction

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 03:29 AM
link   
cool. if you were drunk,

would you get an FUI
or a DUI or both?

how are the cops gonna stop you?

Stingers? anti aircraft guns?

cool with tracers!

what could possibly go wrong?

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Won't be allowed in America.
And you know why too.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

i live close to the birthplace of British motorsports where the rich like all things spent their time displaying their wealth and playing with their new toys (racing cars) which evolved into our everyday transport..

a decade after that we see the wealthy toys evolve into sea plane races.. if we look at a modern version its going along the lines of jet suit racing.. yours for only £380K.. and the more money the rich throw at it the closer we get to battery versions..

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 05:23 AM
link   
So when there's a traffic jam it will quickly turn into an air traffic jam, because they all have flying cars?
Will the airspace look like a main road in Mumbai?
Or will it all be regulated and hence cause waiting times only in the air? 🤪🤔

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I don't know why. Will you tell me?

While I won't be an early adopter if this tech, it's quite exciting to see it come to life.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
So when there's a traffic jam it will quickly turn into an air traffic jam, because they all have flying cars?

No clue! I'm sure it's something that'll get figured out, after some problems, of course. Such is the fate of new tech.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Not sure how this will be allowed. First of all how are they going to allow them to fly over other cars? Here in the US you are not allowed to fly even a quadcopter along a roadway that cars travel on, at least not directly overhead. Other countries may have similar laws.
Secondly the driver will also need to be a pilot and have a pilot license of some type. Having the cash and wanting a flying car will not be enough.

This is a step in the direction of flying cars except I don’t see people wanting to drive a plane around and fly it only in traffic.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Flying cars only work if it's impossible for the humans in side to take control of the car.
It has to be fully auto at all times.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I can see it now...

WOOOOooooohooooooo! See ya later, sucBZZZT!!

Right into a powerline. Down goes the local grid.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

I was thinking the same thing. When you're driving through the rich areas, you'll be the poor guy with just wheels and driving under everyone else because they'll all be floating bumper to bumper above you like idiots.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 08:53 AM
link   

We have a few here in Detroit. Saw one flying, 1 person....kinda bulky....and I think they've got the oomph....to floor ir n pull up.

Won't see any mass production I'm sure, and MIM? I'm going w you today..."and we know why"!
👍

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hmm.

How long until some disgruntled PRC citizen decides to fly over CCP headquarters and drop some goodies on them?

Cheers

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I bet you can't sue any manufacturer or authority in the chain for damages inflicted.

Where have we seen that before?

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 10:33 AM
link   
🤣 Great comments! Y'all had me rollin.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Its an interesting approach they took with the Xpeng Aeroht-essentialy a regular vehicle with a quad copter bolted on to te roof..
I bet the handling is awful in car mode,but i suppose you dont buy it for that.

I would rather travel in an ocoto copter type craft,a lot safer as it can still fly/safely land if some motors stop working.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Rest easy.

My company has put a bid in for the Flying Traffic Lights.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I could see manual on the road and auto while lifted being a good combo. Gonna take many a sensors and cameras to get it right, tho.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join