It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I curse my new neighbor for destroying the land

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kaiju
a reply to: KindraLabelle2

I can only imagine the destruction and horrific slaughtering of wildlife when your house was built.
But you are entitled to have a house where you want it, right?
And if the house was already there when you purchased it, you are supporting the destruction of the forests by buying it.

Actually, since I live here, I'm doing everything within my power to PRESERVE and expand the forest and wildlife. I have not cut down one tree or removed one animal nest. In fact, I planted more trees and bushes and made more animal shelters, planted more flowers and placed bee-hotels, expanded the ponds and with it amphibian life, made natural fences so the wildlife can get through. I don't even eat the fruits from my garden because I leave it for the animals.

To say that I contribute to de destruction of my forest? wow, you so don't know me at all!

Yes, this house was already here when I bought it, it was build in the 70ties, illegally, in between the trees. so yes i guess they had to cut down a tree or 4 or 5, but the left everything else alone. The previous owner LOVED nature just as much as I do.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

You will get over it.

I lived out here in these woods for over 20 years. The hundred acre woods to my back and the 20 acre woods in front of me. It was beautiful, felt secluded, and peaceful. Then one day the trees went down in front of me and this house popped up.

At first I felt exactly like you, until one of my neighbors, a very close friend, that has been out here for over fifty years said to me, well it looks like we have new neighbors.

I asked her, "Did you feel the way I am feeling now, when I built my house out here?"

She looked me with the most adorable smile, and said, "Yep."

My neighbors seem like nice people. The wife is very friendly, the husband, not so much, but we have enough space between us that a wave on sight will keep the peace.

Before you know it, it will seem just a normal everyday landscape.

An easy and quick ice breaker is pets. I made friends with her cat, and she says she loves watching my four goofy Huskies playing in the yard

You will be laughing about this a few years from now.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: InwardDiver

Cities, counties, they are all about increasing revenue. I have seen areas that were registered as preserves suddenly disappear and a whole city go up, in less than a year, when the first person that had enough money and connections appeared.

My backwoods rural area has morphed into a suburb. The woods and the orange groves that used to spread from horizon to horizon, is but a memory, and are now trapped in an alcove, slowly being taxed out of existence.

It is just the way it is. It is a system that has worked this way for centuries. Look at any old maps of any city anywhere, and you will see, they all basically develop the same way.

It is just a matter of time, and it becomes memories of the "good old days".

Your cant stop progress.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I hear you.

I had to stop admiring certain trees and forested areas, for every time I did, some "development" came around and removed them.

In my yard, we've planted a lot of trees. It was a nice space to weather the covid control madness.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I would feel the same as you under those circumstances.

Remember, however, that before your own house was built, there were likely plenty of trees cut down too.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I live surrounded by trees, but they are cut away from the home. I've seen a couple instances where trees fall and did a lot of damage, so I would rather not have any sizable ones near the residence. Maybe he too thinks like this?
He may replant, and his vision may be something you can agree with.

It's just hard having a neighbor you don't get along with, especially when it sounds like your husband will while you may not. You may also find out that he's not so bad once you get to know him.

Just saying, it's a lot less awkward throwing up a wave everyday than it is the middle finger.
edit on 2-12-2022 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 09:39 AM
link   
We have an irritating neighbor (all the houses here are VERY far apart). He bought ALL of the land around this isolated development, and started putting up barbed wire fences along people's driveways right at the edges of "his" property lines, with "POSTED: No Trespassing" signs facing people's homes, as if directed personally at each neighbor.
He has deliberately stopped mowing and manicuring any of the land in view of the subdivision just to "stick it to" the other homeowners.
He hasn't built anything yet, but most of us who live on this hill have agreed that he needs to get a life.

It's a little different than your situation, but believe me, it feels the same. When everyone has been living here peacefully and this knucklehead comes along just to screw with everyone, markin' his territory like a cat spraying a tree, it's not a good feeling.

We just try to ignore him and not get too upset over it (he wants us upset, so we try not to let him win).

Unfortunately, some people's (particularly property investors) ideas of "progress" involves unnecessary (and selfish) destruction of nature. I'm not a green-marcher but there is a point where development and forward progress turns into plain ol' destruction. Not all "progress" is good. You see, it's good up until a point... i.e. who doesn't want a new bowling alley in town? But like I said, up to a point. It's just how it goes, I'm afraid. Then, too much is too much. Look at the Florida panther for instance, all that expansion around Disney gobbled up tons of habitat and now it's endangered.

Just look at time lapses of cities expanding, it looks like a viral infection. Let's face it, most humans, particularly the ones bent on profit, have zero regard for the world around them. They operate on selfish principles of greed, profit, and personal gain. There is no stopping it, either.
Like your neighbor, who only thought of himself and his cheap land.

Or look at the false-hippies mining a bunch of minerals and processing a bunch of chemicals for EVs and digital gadgets, promising a "greener" world meanwhile churning up more sludge, all for profit.

The only thing you can do is, don't be one of those greedy land-paver-overers, and try not to let it upset you too much, and cherish what you have left on your land and the land around you, while the world gets worse and humans are left wondering, why were things so much better "back then", meanwhile destroying their future and worsening an already bad situation!

I'm sorry you're going through this, but,
Live in the now!

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

I live surrounded by trees, but they are cut away from the home. I've seen a couple instances where trees fall and did a lot of damage, so I would rather not have any sizable ones near the residence. Maybe he too thinks like this?

It's just hard having a neighbor you don't get along with, especially when it sounds like your husband will while you may not. You may also find out that he's not so bad once you get to know him.

Just saying, it's a lot less awkward throwing up a wave everyday than it is the middle finger.

We remove any dangerous trees that could fall on our properties, everywhere we've lived. We leave the trees further out alone, but we've had some close calls.

The last house we had, the previous owners chopped down a tree that kept hitting the siding and knocking down the gutters. The one we're in now had a massive oak out front that was just waiting to make a dent in the roof, and we get WIND here.

Like I say, balance. Some progress is good, too much and it becomes bad progress. Some trees are good, too close to the house and they become "bad" trees. Yin and yang, night and day, yada yada...

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

If that was here...we'd know he's heading to sell it: of course. To builder, city, county, private.

One of 3: clear it for building, clear it for selling, clear it for living settlement of more than 1 house.

Other than getting permits...he can do what he wants.(suspiciously, he's not communicating w you).

Check his permits. Good luck.

PS SAVE THE FORESTS. And thank you.
edit on 12222831America/ChicagoFri, 02 Dec 2022 09:46:28 -060046202200000028 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I will have to get over it because there's no other choice, the trees are gone, he starts building later this month.

but I do get what you're saying, I don't even know the man and already decided he's a piece of ****.
We'll see how it goes

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Hey dear? One the the things we "hippies" did in the 60's was often chain ourselves to stuff. It brings attention and sometimes....works. God Bless..

PS Go to city, county, township, state and look at his permits.

I didnt mention this but....what if the real reason he's doing this....is to sell to a developer after a house of lot is built or cleared? You wouldnt know at first. Like now. CK THOSE PERMITS!

Is he even gonna live there? Detective sleuthing by you can reaffirm, inform and comfort you. Or at least give you a heads up he didnt provide. A year from now? 3?

God Bless

edit on 12221031America/ChicagoFri, 02 Dec 2022 11:35:10 -060035202200000010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I did check, he had permission to cut exactly 5 trees, he cut around 30-ish today.

I'm not gonna snitch though, not going to bring the forest back.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

yes I know, better to get along then to fight. Been hearing that from my husband since he got home and found out I've been fighting with the new neighbor

(I did say in my OP that I felt I was going to go full Karen on him)

You're right that trees can be a hazard, but he cut down the WHOLE piece of land. Everything! And that was unnecessary.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2
They are done, the trucks are leaving.
They left a sad sight behind...

My husband doesn't get why this upsets me so much, but on the inside I am just RAGING!
If I go outside now and see that neighbor I'll probably go full blown Karen on him!

sooooo, I just closed the window shutters so I don't have to see it and go do something else and get it out of my system....

(meanwhile, any other idea on how to stop the intruder from building his ugly, soon to be haunted house, are welcome
)

Mannen! Ze begrijpen ook niks!
Just some Dutch there as I know you're Belgian.
I would certainly be upset as well, not just the erased forest, but about the way it went so suddenly.
And they could have left some trees around the edge at least. My guess is he's a developer?
Cold and heartless

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: servovenford

ooh, that sounds like a whole lot of fun as well :/

But indeed, people like that are just greedy and selfish, but it gets worse when they start rubbing everyone the wrong way.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
a reply to: Terpene

so if something happens they'll probably come knock on your door first...

Without proof they can knock all they like.

It’s time to stand up to the “authorities” that will grant planning permission despite being lied to about just 5 trees being removed in the first place. I know of people that tried to live in harmony with nature that were evicted and left homeless because they didn’t get the right planning permission. Yet this guy wants to build for a profit no doubt and thinks he’s above the rules because he can pay the fine.

When are people going to say ENOUGH to rampant corruption everywhere?

Agreed. I would not rest until this guy's business is destroyed! He deserves nothing less.
I love trees and nature too, so this is upsetting enough to pursue this .

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Find a protected species of plant or animal and place it on the lost forest land.

I feel for you.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

Mannen! Ze begrijpen ook niks!
Just some Dutch there as I know you're Belgian.

I would certainly be upset as well, not just the erased forest, but about the way it went so suddenly.
And they could have left some trees around the edge at least. My guess is he's a developer?
Cold and heartless

Nope, not a developer, he's planning on living here. he comes from the city, and I guess he thinks he moved to the suburbs, but he's going to find out pretty soon that he's a long way from all of that!
I'm so going to be there laughing when his car gets stuck in the mud on these dirt roads, or when the weeds and thistle takes over his entire land now that there is no more shade, or when trees block the roads, or they turn into an ice ring.... I had to learn all that and lucky for me there was no one on the side laughing.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I did check, he had permission to cut exactly 5 trees, he cut around 30-ish today.

I'm not gonna snitch though, not going to bring the forest back.
You should . It could shut him down permanently, and he doesn't get to do this again elsewhere (because he will as he knows he can get away with it). Also, he likely has other developer friends whom he tells about what happened, while they're all having a laugh and are all doing it.
Want that to continue?

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I completely understand, I have a neighbor who hates trees, because "leaves are messy" o. O

She's bedn trying to get us to remove the nut trees in particular for years, because also messy.

Too bad, trees always stay. We also rent, and my landlord is plenty familiar with her. We both just chortle inwardly at her stupid occasional requests to remove.

I really wish people who loathe trees would just find a hole in an arid, treeless desert to crawl into.
And stay there.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join