It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So out of nowhere my dog died tonight

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Just posting because I'm feeling down. Tonight my dog Odin was put down because he had a major gastric event. He came to me about 7:30 and started acting like he was going vomit. I thought he was doing the usual dog thing where they eat wild grass because they have an upset stomach and then they throw it up so I sent him outside. About an hour later I went to check on him and he was laying in his kennel and he would not get up. His stomach was extremely distended so I called the emergency vets. I got him to the vet, I guess it's not uncommon for larger breeds to have this kind of situation in their later years (he was 13). His stomach had twisted on itself, and without major super expensive surgery it was nothing we could do. We had no choice but to put him down. Funny thing is that for the last 6 months he's been in the best health and temperament he's been in for many years. We got a new puppy 4months ago and he's been playing with him and super happy the whole time. They became immediate partners.
Anyway the extreme measures that would have been required to save him so he could have a couple more years of life with who knows what quality was a serious amount of money.
I've been down this road many times before, it always sucks and never gets easier.

So, farewell Odin, you were a beautiful kind soul! See you on the other side.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Odin with his 'lil best friend Norman

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

It does suck...I had a similar issue with my last cat. He had a mass between his lung and heart which caused all kinds of issues. We had his lung cavity drained a couple of times but there was no way I was going to put a 13 year old cat through a biopsy to determine it was cancer only to probably kill him with the treatments...meanwhile bankrupting me. It was pretty hard but the last episode he had I knew it was the right thing to do for him.

I also know with that particular condition if it happens once it has a much higher chance of happening again and again. As well as 13 being pretty up there for a dog...sounds like you made the right choice for him even though it isn't the easy choice...even if you had the money.

Sorry for your loss

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about your dog. Poor guy.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD
Thank you. I'm the parent now so I've been down this road many times. It's my job now to ease the blow for our kids. Our beloved pets don't live the same lifespan as we do so this is all part of the process. Still no matter how hard it is, I couldn't imagine a life without our wonderful furry Friends.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm sorry for your loss. That's a good picture of Odin and his buddy. Thanks for posting that.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I am so sorry about your beloved Odin. I know how much it hurts, but the pain is so much more when unexpected.

He is running free now and not in pain, and I pray for you to have peace and comfort.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Sorry to hear this, Dogs are a real part of the family and such loving animals.

I know it's a little raw so sorry if this question seems insensitive but do they not offer affordable pet insurance over there? I know my Dads recently departed Dog had several expensive operations which were covered and saved him a fortune. Might be an idea going forward.

edit on 28/11/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I am so Saddened to hear about your fur baby Odin. I know this pain too, and it does suck ,big time . I’m sorry for your loss… and I am sending you hugs from afar .

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 02:47 AM
link   
So sorry to hear your sad news 😢😢😢 x

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Many blessings upon you and Odin. He is in Heaven now healed and looking forward to seeing you again.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I’m sorry for your loss pal

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 05:31 AM
link   
So sorry to hear that, pets are family, difficult to lose one.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 06:34 AM
link   

For you,

I remember our last moment, right before you said goodbye, I looked at you, and you looked at me while tears filled up in your eyes.

I know it’s hard to understand and I would have loved to stay, But at some point, our name is called, and mine was called today.

I’m grateful for your loving care until the very end, Your choice, however difficult, proves that you were heaven-sent.

For nothing speaks of tender love and sacrifice to me, Than one who’s heart was crumbling and yet still set me free.

The human term of “putting me down” is wrong, it is releasing, You gave me the most precious gift when you granted me peace.

So I will wait at the Rainbow Bridge until we meet again, And then it’s licks and tail wags for you, the best of friends.

I Love You, Papa,

Odin

Source

(And big cyber hugs from me -- Bo)
edit on 28-11-2022 by Boadicea because: Formatting

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Thanks for doing what was best for him and not for you, even it is very hard for the owner to say goodbye a lot of times it is the better thing to do.. instead of putting the poor thing in major surgery, long recovery and lots of pain.

I had to make the same dicistion to put mine down at the vet for two years ago. He was my best friend and he was always by my side, suddenly he stopped eating and was throwing up, eating grass, and looked sad. After a week I made the hard dicistion with my vet doctor, they could have cut him open.. but they could not garenti it would save him, and so I thought the better thing was to make him sleep in.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Sorry to hear that.

RIP Odin.

I know all of my pets are family members, especially since the kids left home.

He's chasin rabbits in the great forest beyond...

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss of Odin and I know that feeling you and your family having myself.
My thoughts are with you.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
Odin with his 'lil best friend Norman

What a great big beautiful bundle of love! Here is my last dog, who was sent over the Rainbow Bridge in 2011 at the ripe old age of 13.

WFIW, at Odin's age such invasive treatment usually starts a rapid downward spiral in health even if it's successful. I hope you take comfort in knowing you spared him from what was most likely a future of increasing decline and discomfort.

I'm so sorry for your loss, though I'm not sure we really 'lose' our pets; they live in our hearts and the memories bring us joy.

RIP Odin.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   

It's never easy to lose a loved pet.
You gave him a great life...full of love and all of the wonderful extras life in a loving home has to offer.

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Sorry for the loss of your fur baby, they are part of the family and losing them is tough.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join